£700 to blow, a few options?

Over the last few months i've been saving a few pennies aside for a rainy day and now am bored with it burning a hole in my bank account and wanna blow it, opinions needed for following options:

Option One: Continue saving to approx £1400 and get ktecs new Gen128 Standalone ECU with full tailored map.

Option Two: Ferodo DS2500 pads all round with Synthetic brake fluid & a more advanced Nitrous controller to give me more flexibility and safety over nitrous delivery.

Option Three: Ktecs new 18" 5 spoke wheels in gloss black with some Yoko Parada spec 2s.

Option Four: Forged pistons ( when avaliable ) for bigger shots of nitrous ( +100bhp )

Been pondering over this for ages now and i cant decide lol, what would you all do?
And please no 'I'd spend it on a holiday replies'.
To be wasted on the car only lol. :tongueout:

Last edited:
option 2 and 3 for me :thumbup1:

or what about a flowed and ported cylinder head

Would probably say option 2 at the moment.

Option 5 would be save like mad and Supercharge the beast when K-Tec bring that out! :thumbup:

Last edited:
i would say op 1 but have been told but a few people their mapping skills are not really all that, based on that op 2 then

Option 2 for me :smile: Flexibilty and Safety...surely very important for your Nitrous?!! And awesome braking power to slow you down from the immense speeds :smiley:

Alright Ben ,

Firstly nice one for saving £700 in the first place lol

I am in a similar situation myself with my 197 so I will let you know my thoughts

Ktech ecu is an option for me and frakley a good one however I question the price for one , I am also dubious about the company they have been co producing the ecu with GDI is it . A google or two shows some not so good things from there past. I know a few experts in mapping ad tunning also share that view . Saying that so long as it conforms to all the now strict saftey regs as it will be a ecu for fly by wire then I can't see a problem just don't want. Repeat of the latest Toyota sarga .

Option two discs and pads yeh good option and probally the most sensible however sensible is not always what you want lol so may be a bit furthur down on my list

Wheels again a great choice and one I have considered blowing my savings on too many times but they don't save any weight as I recall ? I know the ofset is correct but I am torn between these and a lighter wheel . Lighter means faster after all !!

Option four and my favorite and most likley for me . Keep saving wait till august and get a ktech Turbo/ scharger kit aprox £4k with 230-250 low boost figures , it's alot of money but then it's done sorted Handel well and goes like a train .

I hope knowing what my views are help u make your decision mate

Alright Ben ,

Firstly nice one for saving £700 in the first place lol

I am in a similar situation myself with my 197 so I will let you know my thoughts

Ktech ecu is an option for me and frakley a good one however I question the price for one , I am also dubious about the company they have been co producing the ecu with GDI is it . A google or two shows some not so good things from there past. I know a few experts in mapping ad tunning also share that view . Saying that so long as it conforms to all the now strict saftey regs as it will be a ecu for fly by wire then I can't see a problem just don't want. Repeat of the latest Toyota sarga .

Option two discs and pads yeh good option and probally the most sensible however sensible is not always what you want lol so may be a bit furthur down on my list

Wheels again a great choice and one I have considered blowing my savings on too many times but they don't save any weight as I recall ? I know the ofset is correct but I am torn between these and a lighter wheel . Lighter means faster after all !!

Option four and my favorite and most likley for me . Keep saving wait till august and get a ktech Turbo/ scharger kit aprox £4k with 230-250 low boost figures , it's alot of money but then it's done sorted Handel well and goes like a train .

I hope knowing what my views are help u make your decision mate

I was down ktec on saturday speaking to David himself about the ECU and he certainly seems to know his stuff.

With regards to GDI i believe it was the previously company Andy worked for that are the cowboys, hence the move to ktec.

Not going for turbo as it would contradict my cam work ( N/A cams ) and the supercharger seems a distant reality atm.

At the end of the day how much more power can you get from a standalone ecu, is it worth parting with £1500 which could be better spent on smaller multiple things?

At the end of the day how much more power can you get from a standalone ecu, is it worth parting with £1500 which could be better spent on smaller multiple things?

I'd say no it's not worth it for £1500 but saying that I'll probally get one when they are out providing I'm happy saftey wise etc ,

Weightsaving . Brakes and suspension I'd where time is made up on track . As u know

I'd say no it's not worth it for £1500 but saying that I'll probally get one when they are out providing I'm happy saftey wise etc ,

Weightsaving . Brakes and suspension I'd where time is made up on track . As u know

If i stripped anymore out my car it'd be a bare shell lol.

Ha brilliant lol,
kw's --- check
stripped-check

just brakes left then or wheels and tyres ....

Won't 18" affect performace ? Though ben ?

Do explain more details, costs and potential gains?

The one area im not too good on is cylinder head mods...

i just feel that a lot of items done are "bolt-on" etc - no one seems to have done much internal work - the head will only be done to a very mild finish/standard - head work and on a flow bench can produce very good results

if i was to spend money i would -

forged rods & pistons with bottom end fully balanced lightend flywheel
ported and flowed head
hotter cams (more revs) + ecu change
i would build it myself after getting the parts/machine work done

or megane turbo engine fitted !!!!

Lol foxspeed i've got £700 not 7k.

With all that you've described i would probaly sell the clio and buy an R26R with the dosh.

Ha brilliant lol,
kw's --- check
stripped-check

just brakes left then or wheels and tyres ....

Won't 18" affect performace ? Though ben ?

Brakes --- Check :tongueout:

DSC00650.gif

Just want to change the compound, RedStuff dont really have any bite from cold :worried:

Lol I'll shut up then get the wheels then mate they do look stunning !!! Then save some
more for the ECU