You make sense of it!!!!!

I'm gonna be discreet with regard to the manufacturer but emailed them for a price of an item I'm looking to buy. They pass my email onto some else who they have developed the item with. No problem there....went to look on the website for the price. Its 800 more than advertised on the manufacturers website!!!! Same kit.

Why....?????

they must think poeple are thick!

nothing wrong with making a living and profit but sometimes you just get creamed :thumbdown:

Oooooooh please tell me via PM who this is! If it's who I think it probably is, then thats another nail in the coffin :wink:

Intriguing... £800 its a lot but it depends on how much the item is in the first place. Most retailers will add upto 30% max onto a trade price. If the manufacturer will sell you the item go with them, although sometimes you'll find they they will only sell to trade.

I must say, the 800 probably may include fitting so maybe i'm being over zealous. Still 800 labour is still stupid amount for a bolt on part.

Not for me to question profit margins and stuff but eventually it will kill the scene. Its important that tuners work in partnership with the only 197 forum and don't just look at us as just a cash-cow.....They would find us to be much more receptive to trying new things.

Not for me to question profit margins and stuff but eventually it will kill the scene. Its important that tuners work in partnership with the only 197 forum and don't just look at us as just a cash-cow.....They would find us to be much more receptive to trying new things.

i would not bank on that , some seem intent on slating products new to the market with little justification or intelligence behind " claims " for most it's their way or the high way . . .

i would not bank on that , some seem intent on slating products new to the market with little justification or intelligence behind " claims " for most it's their way or the high way . . .

I think thats because often its the person having the work done is left to defend it....and then they almost have to justify the tuners work. Seen many a forum member defending their respective tuners claims.

I couldn't disagree more strongly. I've given up on here, no-one is interested in new things or supporting traders who take an interest and try to be a part of the "community" Never been on a less receptive forum in over 10 years of using them.

I couldn't disagree more strongly. I've given up on here, no-one is interested in new things or supporting traders who take an interest and try to be a part of the "community" Never been on a less receptive forum in over 10 years of using them.

Thats interesting. Obviously I'm generalizing and I have my own personal experience of some great tuners.....

I can see what Danny is saying here, if you go on other forums they are full of active group buys whereas it's only been recently with the 64mm tb, TDF exhaust and now with the RS Tuning remap that people have been receptive to using the forum to purchase things.

I've seen many posts where people float the idea of a group buy that gets lots of interest right up until crunch time and the deal falls flat because suddenly people have to cough up. Having said that I myself have sold quite a few bits through this forum but this is not the reason I am on it or came on it in the first place. For me it's first and foremost because I have a 200, the people that are on here, the subject area and the banter so I dont look at it solely as a business outlet.

As Litchy says it is beneficial for the traders and users to form good relationships to build awareness of products and it shouldn't always be about margins but there is a fine line.

A trader using any forum or business channel needs it to be viable to make a living just like everyone else, without that there would be no product development or progress at all which would be bad for us all.

Out of curiosity, what was the mark up?

£800 sounds a lot but not if that was only like a 30% mark up.

What I do for a living offers a 100% mark up....it doesn't matter what you charge unless people aren't buying it! You fall in line with what's happening with competitors and th climate around you. £800 might seem reasonable....

I can see what Danny is saying here, if you go on other forums they are full of active group buys whereas it's only been recently with the 64mm tb, TDF exhaust and now with the RS Tuning remap that people have been receptive to using the forum to purchase things.

I've seen many posts where people float the idea of a group buy that gets lots of interest right up until crunch time and the deal falls flat because suddenly people have to cough up. Having said that I myself have sold quite a few bits through this forum but this is not the reason I am on it or came on it in the first place. For me it's first and foremost because I have a 200, the people that are on here, the subject area and the banter so I dont look at it solely as a business outlet.

As Litchy says it is beneficial for the traders and users to form good relationships to build awareness of products and it shouldn't always be about margins but there is a fine line.

A trader using any forum or business channel needs it to be viable to make a living just like everyone else, without that there would be no product development or progress at all which would be bad for us all.

I agree. The thing is the clio 197/200 is only 6 years'ish old so unlike other forums not really established a true following. There is a cycle on here where the average lifespan of owning a clio 197/200 is 2 years. Now that may be for many reasons but hard to understand given this cars hardly got issues (aside from maybe the odd gearbox)!!! I personally think its because people just get bored, not of the car but of the project. You simply run out of options or the prices are crazy!!!

The meg engine changed the landscape a little but why does it take members to drive (excuse the bun) the products forward. Jonesy took ages to find someone to take the job on? Now Ktec are knocking them out...strange?

Yes I'll buy the products for sponsors but won't be had off through the process. The costs should be less because I'm on here and not more.....otherwise people just buy them somewhere else.

Last edited:
^ +1. Deals should be cheaper in the forum as this promotes the development of products and relationships with suppliers