Yiannis' Albi Blue R27 - Toning down...

lovely..how much did you get fined you naughty boys???
how long is transfagarasan?

Last edited:
haha @Pav we were speeding on the motorway. But not much to be honest. The limit there is 130 Km/h and I was doing 150. I would have thought that 20km/h more than the limit wouldn't be an issue, clearly I was wrong!

The pass is around 50km but the roads prior to reaching the mountain are also great!

yeah if you are doing 140 km/h they may let you off but anything over that,and you are done..same speed limit in the Czech..may be going this summer so have to be vigilant..they are everywhere :thumb1:

just checked it on google maps and its like 1,100 km from where i come from..would be nice to do it..we will see..

It looks an incredible place Yiannis, great photos! Glad you had fun! Rentals must get some serious abuse :smiley:

An update with this and finally all issues resolved, the outcome was not what I was expecting but desperate times require desperate measures...

After a few email backwards and forwards with the extended warranty they eventually agreed to accept my claim and cover everything. Initially they declined and cancelled my policy because they realised that I was using the car on track, but then common sense prevailed and reinstated it, covering every single penny of the initially raised repairs.

So, AC condenser and driveshaft replaced with brand new OEM ones, new gearbox oil and air con re-gas plus labour over £800. Thank you Renault:smile:

However another noise appeared this time from the back. Initially we thought it was the worn out caliper guide pins which we replaced, that cured the excessive caliper play but not the noise. Before that we had checked rear wheels for play and noise on the ramp but for the life of us we could not replicate the noise. However this time - and as a last resort - we removed the rear hub and we got surprised how the wheel hadn't fallen off. The bearing collapsed in the hub and it was a real surprise that the wheel was still turning effortless and without noise!! Bad news was that by collapsing inside the bespoke aluminium hub it took it on its way out (as the aluminium is so soft). Long story short, my rear 2 piece NS setup is now utterly useless:worried:

New OEM disc at the back then and I was lucky that my mate from the garage played it safe and ordered a bearing (which it was the wrong part anyway lol) and a disc just in case. So new disc on, new AD08Rs at the front and hopefully the car is spot on for the trip. I'll see what I'll do with the rear hub now but in talks already with the guy who made it in Greece, I'll probably have another one made...

Some pics;

If you zoom in in the first pic 6 o clock you'll see a tiny crack, it is that small that you can barely see it and that was why it hadn't been picked up at the first time. From the other side though things were not so smooth lol

29156525672_98a4542b39_b.jpgDSC_0028 by YiannisR27, on Flickr
29230441186_5c12190b77_b.jpgDSC_0030 by YiannisR27, on Flickr
29156525402_e15f400c40_b.jpgDSC_0029 by YiannisR27, on Flickr
29186094431_787455944c_b.jpgDSC_0031 by YiannisR27, on Flickr
28976472290_9d9b201986_b.jpgDSC_0027 by YiannisR27, on Flickr

New driveshaft is quite different to the old one? Have they changed they design??

28976472980_2055dea394_b.jpgDSC_0004 by YiannisR27, on Flickr

New condenser

29186100021_94bd2db894_b.jpgDSC_0003 by YiannisR27, on Flickr

Departing for the Alps this Friday, hope all goes well this time:smile:

Enjoy your trip away Yiannis :smile:.

Who was your extended warranty through? Is it a Renault policy or someone different? Good news though about getting all the repairs covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to hear that you got things sorted with the warranty Yiannis. And also great that the car is ready to rock for the trip.

Enjoy it! Looking forward to the videos when you get back!

Thanks Eddie:smile: You too matey.

Yes this is the official Renault extended warranty which I keep renewing every year mate. They've been as good as gold but next year (and because of me lol) they are changing their terms and conditions to exclude vehicles used on track days!

i saw these on your flickr account and wondered why you had those oem discs back on the rears.
gutted to see your two-piece setup in tatters. such a great looking piece of kit.

enjoy the alps.

Thanks Peter, yeah, and to make things even worse I had a pair of used oem discs in my brother's in law storage but couldn't access it because he is on holidays ffs! So I had to buy a new one:worried:

Thanks Eddie:smile: You too matey.

Yes this is the official Renault extended warranty which I keep renewing every year mate. They've been as good as gold but next year (and because of me lol) they are changing their terms and conditions to exclude vehicles used on track days!

I work for a Renault dealer here and I'm keen to know why they would exclude these kind of cars from the warranty? After all that is the point of the Renaultsport range lol, a customer of mine in work owns an R26r and has the extended warranty and I've never had anything questioned or queried claim wise?

Also would like to know how they know the vehicle has been on track?

I work for a Renault dealer here and I'm keen to know why they would exclude these kind of cars from the warranty? After all that is the point of the Renaultsport range lol, a customer of mine in work owns an R26r and has the extended warranty and I've never had anything questioned or queried claim wise?

Also would like to know how they know the vehicle has been on track?

I know Eddie and that was my point. They claimed "abnormal usage" but I proved that taking the car to the track at a non competitive event is not classified as abnormal usage. My car's name is R27 F1 lol the clue is in the name.

The only reason they know is because they sent an independent mechanic to investigate the dagame, however the noise was nearly impossible to rectify on the ramp or when driving on the roads so I showed him a video where the knocking is obvious, that was in Anglesey circuit:smile:

glad they were willing to cover all the costs for you Yiannis..hope you and your bay are ready for your annual trip and will enjoy as much as you can..im driving back to the UK in 2 days time so lovely times ahead of me...
good stuff

lucky! go buy a lottery ticket!

shame about it damaging the hub :rain:

at least it was found before your trip