Xenon lights misbehaving...

Never really got any further no.

Out of interest could you get a video of the xenons raising up for main beam? Mine still don't do that, would be nice to know if they are meant to as the car is going to the garage next week, could get them to check while it's there.

Shame you didnt sort it. From what I have read the rears fail more often, going to visit my local dealer to see how much they are to buy new as I suspect its that one that has failed. Ive always thought though they fit two sensors because the one at the front is for changes in direction, uphill and downhill and the rear is for adjusting for passengers and luggage.

I would do but you cant really see it rise when the beam is where it should be, I only noticed because of how far down they had to move when they were pointing so far down on the motorway and the time it took raising and dropping them. I can try and replicate it at some point soon.

Shame you didnt sort it. From what I have read the rears fail more often, going to visit my local dealer to see how much they are to buy new as I suspect its that one that has failed. Ive always thought though they fit two sensors because the one at the front is for changes in direction, uphill and downhill and the rear is for adjusting for passengers and luggage.

I would do but you cant really see it rise when the beam is where it should be, I only noticed because of how far down they had to move when they were pointing so far down on the motorway and the time it took raising and dropping them. I can try and replicate it at some point soon.

Just to clarify, you mean the xenon beam moves a few meters up when full beam is turned on. Not just a few cm?

You could try disconnecting the rear sensor and see what it does. Not sure what it should do but I am guessing if it makes no difference then the rear sensor is probably knackered as from a safety standpoint it would fail with the lamps facing down rather than too far up.

Just to clarify, you mean the xenon beam moves a few meters up when full beam is turned on. Not just a few cm?

Yes, but only because and when it had stuck down in the lowest position, I noticed it far more as the beam had much further to travel.

Well that's the first time I've heard someone confirm it. Does anyone else have xenon headlights that do this?

Well that's the first time I've heard someone confirm it. Does anyone else have xenon headlights that do this?

During daylight if you look at the side of the headlight with dipped beam on and get someone to activate main beam would you not see the projector lense move?

To shed a bit of light, my projectors are custom made by a chap on here, so realise they are not factory so obviously cannot relate 100% but when he built them he installed a flap which opens when high beam is engaged, to not only have the main beam on but some of the dipped beam opens up also, to allow through more light. So imagine this is a thing factory xenons do also.

Drove about tonight and my xenons are 100% not flicking up when engaging main beam. I just get the second set of bulbs.

To shed a bit of light, my projectors are custom made by a chap on here, so realise they are not factory so obviously cannot relate 100% but when he built them he installed a flap which opens when high beam is engaged, to not only have the main beam on but some of the dipped beam opens up also, to allow through more light. So imagine this is a thing factory xenons do also.

Are these on the MK4 though? Would have thought they would be totally different to the 197 lights?

Drove about tonight and my xenons are 100% not flicking up when engaging main beam. I just get the second set of bulbs.

Are these on the MK4 though? Would have thought they would be totally different to the 197 lights?

Yes mk4 and they are custom built lights. I was just re iterating davinders point.

So according to this i have a broken computer and actuators?

I rarely get the movement known as inititation and never get raised dipped beam?

Any idea how to go about repairing the computer?

Ideally you need CLiP to find out what's at fault, if the lights don't flick up and down when they first turn on it confirms there's a fault and it's gone into some kind of limp mode...

I checked mine via CLiP the other day and it's showing a fault with the rear height sensor (which is the most common one to go):

_20180227_073052.JPG

Once weather picks up I'm gonna take it off and test it to see what's what, I'll pop up some info if I get anywhere with it...

Last edited:
I dont know if a cheap OBD2 reader and Torque/Torque Lite would pick up a fault code?

I dont know if a cheap OBD2 reader and Torque/Torque Lite would pick up a fault code?
I really don't think it will in all honesty. Compared to clip, most if not all of these OBD2 readers are very generic when it comes to fault codes.

So had the car in the garage yesterday fixing some stuff, the lights were looked at and I was told they were fixed.

Unfortunately they are no different, when I turn them on they go to a high angle and slowly go down until they stop moving. Going to call the garage up soon and ask what they actually did...

Have you plugged it into CLIP? I had this issue, replaced the front levelling sensor in the end (CLIP told me which one).

And the saga continues...

So had the car into four ashes specifically to try and deal with this, clip showed no fault codes and they were working fine apparently. Headlights have started to flick up on main beam as they should so that's confirmed.

Seemed to be cured until tonight where they kept flicking up and down while I was driving along. Got it all on dash cam so will try to upload a video of it sometime.

I have a feeling the connectors to the axle sensors are dodgy. Can anyone post pictures/guide on how to get to the sensors? Can't seem to find them...