Wishbone camber bolt coming loose

pdd144c

Paid Member
Anyone else had an issue with this? Ever since I've had the Powerflex bushes fitted to my wishbones the drivers side camber bush bolt keeps coming loose. I have even replaced the nut and bolt with brand new items from Renault, used loctite, yet it still does it! Anyone got any ideas to sort it?!

Cheers.

Got no idea what it looks like - but can you get a shake-proof washer etc on there....?

Or a nyloc nut ?

Or a slightly longer bolt and double-nut it ?

I'll get some pics next time I get the wheel off. Can't use a nyloc as the thread isn't a normal metric type if I remember rightly, but a spring washer may well be of use. Really starting to piss me off, within two laps at Combe yesterday it was bloody loose again!

Metric fine thread ?

You can get those in Nyloc too (Just look on ebay). As i'm sure you can with any Imperial, UNC thread etc

One of those and a shake-proof washer may well sort your issues.

Definitely nothing else untoward going on ?

Ah ok, I'll measure the thread on the old bolt when I go back to work Monday.

Nothing obvious no... did snap a bolt holding the subframe strengthener but repaired that ok. Plus this issue started before that!

Ah ok, I'll measure the thread on the old bolt when I go back to work Monday.

Nothing obvious no... did snap a bolt holding the subframe strengthener but repaired that ok. Plus this issue started before that!

Lots of bolts holding things tight or requiring strength are often fine threaded versions.

A fine thread is usually the sign of a higher tensile strength bolt too (Usually a 12.9 compared to a 10.9 - which is the first of the real high tensile strengths).***An 8.8 being a generic bolt strength.

But whatever yours is - i'm sure a Nyloc is available and is worth a shot coupled with a shake-proof / anti-vibration washer :smile:

Exactly, wouldn't want anyone else having the same issue and going as crazy as I am!

Just measured it as remembered I had a thread gague here, looks like M11 x 1.25. Such a strange size! Nut has built in washer too.

You can get different strengths of loctite can't you, maybe try something stronger? And sometimes they have strict instructions for letting it dry etc, did you make sure you followed these when you used it?

It's designed for bolts that are subject to vibrations so I can't see why it wouldn't have worked :think:

You torquing them up I presume? 105Nm.

I've replaced one wishbone today and hopefully do the other side tomorrow - in the Renault service manual it tells you to replace the bolts so I did buy new ones, however they didn't come with the nuts so I've re-used and paint marked them after torquing then. I'll keep an eye and hopefully won't come loose :anguished:

I was wondering though, did the nut you get from Renault have the washer on it like the original? As it's the same style nut as the wishbone ball joint and also the anti-rotation link on the bottom side of the wishbone - however I bought new ones of both these and the nuts both supplied didn't have a washer, but were instead flared at the base and of course are white nyloc'd :confused:
I'm wondering if Renault have therefore changed design from the washer nut to the single-piece flared nut?

cheers

Thread lock should have worked, but didn't... I left it to dry for a few days tbh!

Ah ok Rich, ive just ordered more bolts and nuts, will see what arrive. The ones I got last summer were as per original, with washer and squashed not nyloc if that makes sense! I didn't torque them last time, just did them up fxxking tight!

Well the knock is actually the bottom swivel bearing. First test day of the year a week tomorrow so will be a rush to get it ready on time. Also found that the rear wheel bearings were a little loose, beginning to remember why I stopped having French cars!

Reactions: Dystant