Windscreen Washer jets only work after washing rear window...

Barney626

Winner - POTM December 2017
Hi all,
Very close to buying a 197 (Finally) and found a good looking one. Just had an odd issue with the wiper jets.

When you pull the stalk back to trigger the washer jets the wipers start wiping but the pumps dont activate. There is no sound. Can do this multiple times and hold it for as long as you want, the pumps just dont start.

However, if you twist the end to spray the rear window a few times then try pulling the stalk back it works as it should, spraying and wiping the front windshield. Pumps don't sound strained, it all seems totally normal.

Any idea why the jets initially don't work? It sounds like just a dodgy connector/fuse/control board as the pumps do work and there are no blockages.

One other question, are the headlight washer jets for the xenon lights meant to spray one at a time (Drivers side first then passenger side) or both at the same time?

Thanks!

The headlamp washers do indeed spray from the driver's side first, then the passengers. I think it's because the pump isn't powerful enough to spray washer fluid from both sides at the same time.

Reactions: Barney626
Makes sense. Just worried it was linked with the main wiper issue.

Really hoping the main wiper is just a plug the wrong way round and not a sign of bigger electrical problems. I've never heard of this issue before so not really sure where to even start.

I'm taking a stab in the dark. My intermittent wipers are intermittent, but not in the way Renault intended. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I'm guessing I've got broken or worn connectors in the stalk. Could yours be similar?

The stalks are quite cheap second hand and possibly worth a go.

When you take the wiper stalk off / replace it, be careful not to bend or brake the two brass coloured connectors in the squib that attach to the stalk assembly. These are the wiring for the horn and quite fragile. If you break these, you'll lose your horn and in all probability need a new squib. Not cheap.

My horn was broken and these connectors were only bent thankfully.

There's a sticky on here about the connectors. Saved me buying a new squib :smile:

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

The stalk could be a possible but still seems odd that it works after the rear wiper spray. Even if it was a loose connection in the stalk why would spraying the rear window fix it?

Just seems very odd.

Maybe the overall electrical system is a bit buggered as the fuel cap solenoid had gone as well. Or it that more likely a separate incident?

If you have a multimeter, connect the probes to the front water pump connectors and pull the stalk. If you're only getting power to the pump after activating the rear washers, then it discounts a faulty pump. This still leaves lots of wiring, but it's one thing you can tick off.

Dodgy electrics are a pain and so often just a trial and error, illumination game to get to the bottom of things.

I would say that the wiring is less likely to cause an issue than something with a moving part that can wear. This would lead me to either suspect the the stalk or the pump first.

Individual xenon washers is very strange as I would have thought they were on just one circuit where both or neither work.

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

Not sure if you've experienced this but when trying to flash someone by pulling back on the light stalk it doesn't always register a pull and switch to high beams. This is due to one of the internal components oxidising I believe. The same may be happening on the other stalk which is why the rear wiper works (the same as turning on the lights using the left stalk) but the front wipers are having issues.

This how to has a picture of the aforementioned component within the light stalk I was talking about. Chances are it's probably not this, but it's worth pointing out anyway.

Reactions: Barney626
Ok fixed the wiper issue by replacing the stalk. Thanks for the help guys.

Only down side is now the alarm is going off everytime I lock the car. Think it might be something to do with the fuel cap lock solenoid which we had to disconnect as it failed causing the fuel cap to be locked shut. Will be getting a new solenoid next week and replacing the current one. Fingers crossed this will fix it.

Currently having to insert the card, press start button 5 times then lock the car to disable the alarm while still engaging locks. Have to do it every time I lock it so bit of a pain. If anyone knows how to disable the alarm and have it persist over multiple locks/unlocks that would be helpful.

Reactions: LOCKE
Definitely correct information on the washer jets above, they spray alternatively to ensure there is enough pump power available to clean the lamp lenses efficiently enough.

Btw if anyone finds this thread with the same locking problem, it was the fuel cap solenoid causing the alarm to go off.

Going to make a progress/project thread with all the stuff i've done to the car soonish.

Reactions: LOCKE