Whining/whistling noise

Big Ben

Loves to rag the VAG!
Paid Member
Engine is developing a slight whining/ whistling noise when idling when it is cold.

It disappears once car is fully warmed up. Sounds like could be auxiliary belt. Can't hear it when driving only when stationery and cold!

Anyone had similar or got any thoughts

Thanks as always

Mine makes a funny noise when it's cold/wet, always has done though. Goes away once it's warmed up though.

Reactions: Big Ben
Engine is developing a slight whining/ whistling noise when idling when it is cold.

It disappears once car is fully warmed up. Sounds like could be auxiliary belt. Can't hear it when driving only when stationery and cold!

Anyone had similar or got any thoughts

Thanks as always
A video would help .
Thats sounds like a belt related issue but hard to tell without a video

Mine does this when I first start the car before work on a morning, seems a bit louder now it's colder. All belts etc have been done within the last 12 months so I assume it's just normal ?

Mine does this when I first start the car before work on a morning, seems a bit louder now it's colder. All belts etc have been done within the last 12 months so I assume it's just normal ?
Does it disappear once warm?

I can't remember where it was, but there was a post recently (possibly from foxspeed?) that said the F4R is a very noisy engine and not the most 'refined'. It wasn't a criticism, more a reassurance that they are prone to odd noises and not necessarily something to worry about!

Reactions: CameronK
I can't remember where it was, but there was a post recently (possibly from foxspeed?) that said the F4R is a very noisy engine and not the most 'refined'. It wasn't a criticism, more a reassurance that they are prone to odd noises and not necessarily something to worry about!
Thanks for that Jimmy. Its hard not to worry, running a Clio RS:smiley:

Reactions: sevenfourate
Thanks for that Jimmy. Its hard not to worry, running a Clio RS:smiley:

You're absolutely right Ben, I am exactly the same! It's natural to worry though because we care so much about the cars and we work so hard to be able to own them! Any little noise kicks off the paranoia! :smiley:

It's does mate yes. Think it's just all part of these lovely French cars haha

Sorry to drag up an old thread..was it your auxiliary belt Matt? Mine started to whine when I started it up at Trax and does it on every cold start now..

Sorry to drag up an old thread..was it your auxiliary belt Matt? Mine started to whine when I started it up at Trax and does it on every cold start now..

If I'm entirely honest mate I think it was just me being over paranoid. As mentioned in this thread these engines can be a little noisy when cold and it was just something I wasn't used to.

I had the Cambelt, Auxiliary belt etc replaced when I first got the car so I know all is ok. (Touch wood)

I don't even notice it anymore as I'm just used to the engine being slightly louder on cold starts - That and the Akrapovic probably drowning all other noises out.

Have you or previous owner replaced the belts on yours recently, I think I have read the auxiliary belt could cause a whining?

Reactions: Benno
@Benno996 Mine never really disappeared but never got any worse. Had the aux belt changed no difference. Could only be alternator. Maybe a bearing. I’m having it refurbed as part of conversion. Will let you know

@Benno996 Mine never really disappeared but never got any worse. Had the aux belt changed no difference. Could only be alternator. Maybe a bearing. I’m having it refurbed as part of conversion. Will let you know

Cheers Ben. My aux belt looks old but certainly not perishing or anything, did wonder if it might be something like a bearing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I'm entirely honest mate I think it was just me being over paranoid. As mentioned in this thread these engines can be a little noisy when cold and it was just something I wasn't used to.

I had the Cambelt, Auxiliary belt etc replaced when I first got the car so I know all is ok. (Touch wood)

I don't even notice it anymore as I'm just used to the engine being slightly louder on cold starts - That and the Akrapovic probably drowning all other noises out.

Have you or previous owner replaced the belts on yours recently, I think I have read the auxiliary belt could cause a whining?

No I haven't and paperwork wasn't in abundance when I bought it. Going to get local quotes for a full cambelt service and if it isn't going to break the bank get all of them done..

Replaced my PCV valve and cleaned the pipe today after reading the above thread as I have the exact same problem/sound.

And ... it's still there! Any other ideas?

Jeezo, it's still whistling like crazy, could it be a defective PCV valve?

I ordered from RPD.

Alternatively why else would it be making the noise still?

Pipe was totally clear.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk