Which to buy: Nimbus or Albi?

To be honest, the insurance quote i got the other day was £967 for the year! About what i was expecting tbh. I've only the one years no claims (used a company car and shared the family car before a year ago!).

With that in mind, a r27 will only up the premium i would have thought? If the right car comes along for less, i will certainly put the extra left over towards the insurance, or even cover the insurance with it!

I've been meaing to call Tesco car insurance too actually but havent got round to it yet. Ive been a named driver on my familys car for about 5 years now and apparently you build up a no claims bonus on there policy. Wonder if i'd get a cheaper quote with that in mind? Anyone have any experience with these types of "deals/policies"?

Also, im currently up in Inverness (for the next week anyway) with work, but live pretty much on East Midlands airport and origionally from Newcastle. If anyone who lives near and fancies showing me there car, im more than up for buying them a pint!

Last edited:
Albi all the way, especially as you got so excited over it

Nimbus is good for the more mature driver who doesn't want to show off, or the driver who doesn't want to attract unwanted (ie police) attention, id say theres less chance of getting it keyed aswell

I personally like Albi Blue better, but in all honesty I don't think there is a bad colour for the 197.

Agree with Arran, dont think there is a bad colour! I have an albi blue one but love the nimbus grey! :cloud9: Altho, wouldnt swap mine for anything!

anyways, :welcome: and enjoy :smiley:

Hi there,

NIMBUS !!!!
Well I would say that wouldn't I ??

Seriously Nimbus does look superb, especially when clean and to be honest doesn't show the dirt up that much either. Still looks good a few days after its washed.

Probably doesn't shout look at me like a blue one though.

As for your budget. I bought mine in December 2010 and paid £9500.00, its an 07/57 plate 197 F1 with 23,000 miles.

Good look in your search.

Regards

Tim

img8704g.jpg

Albi all the way, especially as you got so excited over it

Nimbus is good for the more mature driver who doesn't want to show off, or the driver who doesn't want to attract unwanted (ie police) attention, id say theres less chance of getting it keyed aswell
you calling me an old fart :rofl:

Seriously Nimbus does look superb, especially when clean

Ill admit i havent seen a clean one up close except in pictures & pictures never do a 197 justice, i see a grey 197 everyday and if i wasn't into cars i don't think id look twice at it. Im not saying its not beautiful as all 197s are, if anything the way it blends in with its surroundings is deceptive, that's what predators do when hunting :wink:

I slightly regretted not getting a racing blue myself but i couldn't find one with a low enough mileage, the albi i found was too perfect to not go for :smile:

forget albi and nimbus , black is best! - but seriously r27 was about 100 more to insure for me than a standard 197

i kind of agree but i had a black 1.6 for 5 years so i just couldn't do it when it came to upgrading

also there was no low mileage ones around...

I've just (last week) grabbed my black 07 r27 22k for 9400 just to give an idea , car was mint condition , no wear etc to be honest whatever colour you choose will give you a grin everytime you set off.

To be honest, the insurance quote i got the other day was £967 for the year! About what i was expecting tbh. I've only the one years no claims (used a company car and shared the family car before a year ago!).

With that in mind, a r27 will only up the premium i would have thought? If the right car comes along for less, i will certainly put the extra left over towards the insurance, or even cover the insurance with it!

I've been meaing to call Tesco car insurance too actually but havent got round to it yet. Ive been a named driver on my familys car for about 5 years now and apparently you build up a no claims bonus on there policy. Wonder if i'd get a cheaper quote with that in mind? Anyone have any experience with these types of "deals/policies"?

Also, im currently up in Inverness (for the next week anyway) with work, but live pretty much on East Midlands airport and origionally from Newcastle. If anyone who lives near and fancies showing me there car, im more than up for buying them a pint!
Are you back home on the weekend sunday 17th april, it the national meet at gaydon motor heritage museum. Pop down to that.

albi all the way (I had the choice between a nimbus cup 197 or an albi ff 197) not that I'm biased or anything :tongueout:
gearbox is the only difference between early and later models but isn't a massive difference. I went with an early 07 model, the changed gearbox came about on the 57 plate. the newer gearbox just has slightly lower revs at 70 but to be honest the earlier box isn't to bad IMO.

welcome to the site!

nice bit of info, i wondered why so many 197 reviews says it revs at 4000 on motorway cruising (70mph) when mine sits at 3000

Welcome to the site pal,

As said, there isn't really a bad colour for the 197 (or 200). So why restrict yourself to Nimbus or Albi? Personally I would keep my options open on the colour and be more interested in the options i.e Xenons, Bluetooth, Recaros, Cup pack etc......

Anyway, happy hunting :smile:

Cheers guys! Really appreciated! Are there any common faults or things to look out for when viewing potential 197s? Not in terms of optional extras etc but more with how the cars been maintained etc...

Finlayj - you're right like fella, they all look great! I love the black too but its just something about the Albi and Nimbus i cant get over! Love it! I like the idea of the Nimbus being "discrete" too.

Ryan197 - thanks mate! Unfortunately, im actually back home in Newcastle that weekend. Gutted. Could have pulled the missus along with me as a date lol She'd have loved that like! I told her the 0-60 time the other day and she asked if that would be as fast as her dads car... an Insignia. I said probably about the same.. i can't wait to see her face! ;-)