Which to buy: Nimbus or Albi?

Hello all!

Very new to all this, was recommended to join Clio197 by a mate of mine.

The 197 - wow! What a car, i want one so bad and have finally decided to bite the bullet and go for it. I've spent the last 2 months researching, back and forth in too minds whether i should go for the car I HAVE ALWAYS wanted or an economical run around.

Finally, i made the decision after looking around a car supermarket place... from one Golf to the next, to a Focus, to an A3, back to the Golf... there was something missing. I just wasnt excited or that taken by any of these cars. The audi definitely had the better interior, but that was about all i could say. Then, out the corner of my eye, i seen an Albi Blue 197. Like a boy at Christmas i ran over to it, leaving my mate behind and spent the next 30 min telling him all about it (when he eventually caught up)! He said himself that it was the only car i showed any excitement for. My decision was made!

Now. I have to find one - budet of around £9000, not including insurance etc. I cant make my mind up on the colour though, please help! Albi Blue or Nimbus Grey? ? ?

The Albi is such a good looking car, but i cant help but feel the Nimbus has that extra sophistication about it?

Anyway, sorry for going on, hope someone can help me with a few questions.

Firstly, I know you dont buy a 197 for MPG but was just wondering what people get on average on the motorway at 70...80...ish? My trip to work is less than 8miles there and back, so im not overly too strung up about the fuel costs if im honest.

How much of a difference is does the late 07 / 08 models gear box make in terms of the short gear rations? Anything? Or is it advisible to go for a 08 onwards 197?

Ive read abit about the kangarooing with a cold start. Some people have said its fixed with a software update (?) and others that its just something that comes with the car and cant really be fixed?

Ive drove my mates 225 and his 182 a few times and pretty much couldnt wipe the smile of my face everytime. Im sure the 197 wont dissapoint from what ive read?! :smile:

Anyway, bit of a long one. Sorry.

Steve

Firstly, Welcome.

Colour wise, im with Chappo and would say Nimbus (and i hate silver cars). Something about nimbus.
I totally understand what you are saying about looking for a sensible car.. I was looking at powerful diesels for a bit but damn they are boring.

How old are you btw?

I came from a 1.2 Clio mk2 to my R27 and it was a power difference but i was used to big powered cars so didn't mind.

You have quite a budget so i'm sure you can easily find a good version of a 197 for that money mate. I average between 23 - 28 mph driving motorways/main roads. Around the town i average about 23mpg.. So not exactly the best but by far not the worst.

As you said your mates 225/182s gave you big smiles, well the 197 will not dissapoint! It will give you barrels of smiles.
As for the kangaroo effect, its something you can live with but can also be sorted by the Renault dealer (mines was sorted, then not sorted but now disappeared).

Also a few things to look for such as the door seals (make sure they haven't burst), the Recaro seat bolsters not wearing and tearing, the Kangaroo effect (make sure its not too bad), service intervals as usual.. There are many more things but im sure other guys will help you here.

Last edited:
:welcome:mate.nimbus for me but i would as mine is Nimbus but the choice is yours. MPG is all about how you drive it mine only does 22.2 at the mo but if you want 40mpg buy some thing else.kangerooing dont notice it any more after 4 yrs just enjoy her

Fair point! I really dont want anything else anymore! Ive even convinced the missus now! <- That alone is enough to now buy a 197! Never mind anything else! ;-)

Hi Steve, welcome to the site.

The Clio 197 is a great car, so much fun to drive and great in a lot of other aspects too.

I personally like Albi Blue better, but in all honesty I don't think there is a bad colour for the 197.

MPG on my 2009 197 on the motorway is about 32/33 if I'm lucky. But it depends on whether you have a heavy right foot or not. I have seen 36 mpg, but that was very light footed and the first day I bought it, so was taking it easy. Round town I see 24, usually 23. something.

The difference in the gearbox isn't that big, about 250 rpm I think at 70 mph.
Kangerooing from cold is a commom problem on all Clio Sports and can't really be fixed. There are ways of improving, for example I have found using 99 ron fuel has made mine 300% better. Others have had Renault do a patch on the ecu, some have had custom remaps. It only lasts for the few few mins anyway, when the car warms up it goes.

Welcome Steve
In all honesty either colour can look stunning in the 197 if you colour up the alloys black or anthracite.
I get between 30/35 to the gallon going back and to from work so not bad when u balance it against the smile it puts on your face.

Cheers guys! Thanks for the replies! Im smiling already just reading them! Seriously cant wait to get one! Looking to buy next month but dont mind waiting for the right one to come along.

Liambo im 25, 26 this July. Why'd you ask? My hairline would otherwise have me look about 30 though!!! Good job the 197s not a convertable or id have no blooyd hair left at this rate!

Kangarooing doesnt sound to big of an issue then. Thats good!

I love the Nimbus but at the same time, you just cant beat that blue for an amazing colour! Another question actually... a while back now a Nimbus passed me driving into town, had Red calipers and looked great! Are there many models around with them as standard or is that something you'd fit afterwards?

Cars with the cup pack optional extra get red calipers and also anthracite wheels, among a host of suspension and steering differences.

Also, the cup version of the 197 had the anth wheels and red calipers, plus lower suspension etc. But that's the cheaper more track focused version with less standard equipment.

Cheers guys! Thanks for the replies! Im smiling already just reading them! Seriously cant wait to get one! Looking to buy next month but dont mind waiting for the right one to come along.

Liambo im 25, 26 this July. Why'd you ask? My hairline would otherwise have me look about 30 though!!! Good job the 197s not a convertable or id have no blooyd hair left at this rate!

Kangarooing doesnt sound to big of an issue then. Thats good!

I love the Nimbus but at the same time, you just cant beat that blue for an amazing colour! Another question actually... a while back now a Nimbus passed me driving into town, had Red calipers and looked great! Are there many models around with them as standard or is that something you'd fit afterwards?

As you said just wait for the correct one, there are quite a few good examples up for sale at the moment (also check the for sale section).

Just curious as to age as there have been quite a lot of younger people coming onto the site with 197's recently (19-20) but :smiley: about the hair.. Age doesn't come itself huh?

As for the red calipers, that means the car has the optional 'Cup' pack which includes darker alloys and lower/better suspension and better brakes..

Or could be a 197 'Cup' which is a more stripped of goodies version of the FF (full fat) 197 which comes standard with the 'Cup' pack.

Haha! Doesnt it just mate! (@ Liambo!)

This cup pack, does it add much to the insurance quote do you know? Not the same thing as the 197 Cup is it?

for your budget you may be able to get a nimbus R27, which will have the cup pack and recaros.