Which performance tyre?

fezza555

Paid Member
New tyres are required, I will be replacing all 4! Looking for a fast road tyre with decent longevity. I have read quite a lot, just want to know any other recommendations and how many miles are achievable, mainly on the fronts as these will be the first to go. My options so far:

- Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R
- Goodyear Eag F1 ASYM3
- Michelin Pilot Sport 4

All opinions welcome! Cheers.

All cracking tyres...

Ad08r are obviously semi slick, so not so good for winter as a daily driver, although I know some people manage!

I've had both eagle f1s and ps4s, eagle f1s are a good tyre, good all round performer. I've currently got ps4 on the front of mine and I'm pretty impressed so far, very good in both dry and wet and very grippy! But obviously there is a bit of a price difference between these two tyres! When I have to change the rears I will be sticking to PS4.

Reactions: papa
For outright dry performance the AD08r are the winner.
If you're looking to drive fast in wet/winter then one of the others might be better option. The AD08R is by no means bad in the wet. I have them on mine

I use AD08R. In the last month we have had 2 typhoons and 1 hurricane and about to have another typhoon this weekend and ive been ok.

The dry grip is ace in the wet they are great too of course a more regular tread pattern will be better, where i found them struggling is in huge amounts of surface water they get over whelmed but if your on it that hard in the rain on the road you need your license taking away.

For outright dry performance the AD08r are the winner.
If you're looking to drive fast in wet/winter then one of the others might be better option. The AD08R is by no means bad in the wet. I have them on mine
Thanks Ben, I am very tempted by the AD08r. How long would you say they last for general road use?

I've had Yokohama AD08R tyres on a number of vehicles now and used as an all year round tyre. I know they are not designed for cold weather, but I've never had an issue as long as you drive to the road conditions.

I've currently got them on my 197 and my experience of them on this car reflects those from when I had them fitted to my heavily modified 2003 R53 Mini Cooper S JCW that had over 200bhp at the wheels.

The below is something I wrote a few years ago and were my findings on my Mini after changing from Yokohama Parada Spec 2 tyres. The day I changed them was incredibly wet with local roads looking like rivers which initially caused my concern with a tyre like the AD08R;

Sidewall Stiffness

Definitely stiffer than the Spec 2s. I now have more feel on turn in with less wallow as I enter a corner.

Lateral Grip

I never had an issue with lateral grip with the Spec 2s in wet or dry conditions on the road and the 08 give the same levels of grip in the wet at least. Possibly more, but haven't really pushed yet just in case release agent not fully worn off.

Acceleration / Braking

I used to get wheel spin even in 4th with the Spec 2s in the rain. First impressions with the 08 is that they give far more grip when accelerating. This is possibly due to the softer compound of the 08?

Braking wise I never had an issue with the Spec 2s and so far the 08s seem on par, in the wet at least.

Road noise / ride

The Spec 2s were always noisy and the 08s are similar. However the 08s feel harsher than the Spec 2s, possibly down to the stiffer side wall. I'll take this harsher ride for the better turn in / feel it provides.

Aquaplaning

Never had an issue with the Spec 2s in this respect, but I don't do much motorway mileage. The 08s went through a decent amount of standing water today and again, no issues. I doubt however either would be that great compared to a wet weather designed tyre.

Wear

My Spec 2s lasted over 10k miles on the R53. Way too early to say about the 08s, but with treadwear ratings of 300 and 180 respectively, I doubt the 08s will last nearly as long. However, at only £230 for a set of 4 195/50/15 tyres, I'll be happy if they only give me 10k miles.

Aesthetics

Oh how shallow I am. But I do love the tread pattern of the Spec 2s and not so much the 08s.

Both have great looking sidewalls that curve around the rim giving some decent wheel protection and make the tyres look a little bit stretched, which they're not on 15x7 rims.

Summary

All tyres are a compromise and I'm happy with what both have provided for my driving style. I've had many sets of Spec 2s on a number of cars and after today's first impressions, I'll not return to them. This isn't because they're a poor tyre for my needs, but I just prefer the feel of the newer 08.

2000 mile update

2 months and about 2000 miles with a trip to Applecross and Northumberland under their tread.

After some very wet and cold weather, I am pleased to say that the AD08Rs have performed fantastically. I know they're not winter tyres, but they haven't disgraced themselves once.

I didn't measure the tread depth when I fitted them, but they are advertised as having between 7-8mm new. I've still got 7mm all round, so if I change them at 2mm, I should get around 12000 miles a set. If however they came with 7mm new, that means they should last forever. I think mine probably came with nearer 8mm new.

The firmness in ride I felt when they were new has either gone away, or I'm just used to the harsher ride than my previous Parada Spec 2s.

They are also still quieter than my Spec 2s which always sounded as though my wheel bearings were on their way out.

Whilst I'm very careful when parking (not one kerbing in over 3 years I've had the car), the rim protectors of the AD08Rs are quite substantial and offer great protection from possible expensive kerb / wheel interfacing.

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

I went with AD08R all around on my Clio - although my clio is a garage queen so will not be used in the wet weather, having had them previously on an elise which was used daily rain or shine, they did really will hence I upgraded to them again this year on the clio - made a huge difference handling wise and to me they look quite aggressive which I like!

Last edited:
Reactions: Deer_Dodger
yokos for me too..had the older type on mine for over two years and they performed brilliantly even in the winter,and i live in Manchester..rains constantly..

Thanks for all the feedback! I will give the Yokohamas a punt I think :smile: they don't seem to sell them from some main dealers. What is the best place to buy them from? Cheers.

I always try Black Circles and MyTyres, then go and try a few local retailers who often price match or better. I like giving my money to local business if I can.

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

There's a guy on Facebook called Ben Patey he does them for something like £340-360 delivered in 215/45/17, he's in most Clio pages

Reactions: nutnutwelshman