Which head unit?

• Clarion FZ102E

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • IPS 210BT

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TB Rich

Paid Member
So I am still in 2 minds as to fitting the carbon blank for the radio or not, it looks cool and I hardly ever listen to the radio.......but I can't shake the feeling that I think there are times when it would be really good to still have a stereo. As I plan to actually do a lot of track days this year, that means a lot of to-and-fro journeys where I would want one.
Unfortunately I can't use any of the OEM Clio stereos as none of them have a display on them, as I have junked my display unit for the a TomTom unit with a couple of gauges.

After a bit of searching for a light small mechless stereo I've found a couple but not sure which would 'look' better. Quality and features I'm not bothered by, only real criteria is I just don't want it to look typically aftermarket as they tend to look out of place IMO.

First up is the Clarion FZ102E, very stock looking I think and the text colour should match pretty much spot on. Should look especially good on a 200 with climate as the central aircon unit display is so close above it.

13122162645_e5fe148fe7_b.jpg
fz102e_alt1.jpg
It's also only £70, and can be fitted with a steering wheel control interface too.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clarion-F...Stereo-Radio-Player-RED-Display-/271643876546

Second on the list, In Phase 210BT:

41RiirfiomL.jpg

It's not the right colour however it's plain and simple and fairly OEM looking, and the design would match the central circular 200 climate control very well too - with the silver ring design etc.
I don't think it has steering wheel control, but it does have BT - although I can't imagine that being any use in my car to try and hold a call in it! :tearsofjoy:
It's only £43 too! https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-in-phase-ips-210bt_p-32543.htm

Leaning towards the Clarion tbh, but also open to suggestions.

Cheers

@sevenfourate - tagging you mate as I know you are interested in an orange display HU.

Reactions: sevenfourate
The thing is you can spend thousands on car stereos but unless you sound proof the doors and headlining just get a decent DAB set up

No I don't really care what it sounds like (to some extent) - any aftermarket HU is likely to exceed my needs.

Principally I want something that looks like it was there from the factory - which means no overly glossy surfaces or stupid amount of lights - basically something that doesn't look like a disco or a 90's stereo :wink:!

The car is very loud, to the point you can't really hear the stereo on full when at full chat. So it's just something to take the tedium out of driving to track days and back - especially if I do SPA etc.

Cheers @TB Rich

I looked, scrolled down and you had a link to the first HU.....then it disappeared from sight ! Im guessing you edited your post.

***Just wondering about display out function. Did you also have a good source for a lead for the steering wheel controls for this HU ?

No I don't really care what it sounds like (to some extent) - any aftermarket HU is likely to exceed my needs.

Principally I want something that looks like it was there from the factory - which means no overly glossy surfaces or stupid amount of lights - basically something that doesn't look like a disco or a 90's stereo :wink:!

The car is very loud, to the point you can't really hear the stereo on full when at full chat. So it's just something to take the tedium out of driving to track days and back - especially if I do SPA etc.
So you coming on the 2nd of October Rich iam the same with my face thing in my 220t it sounds fine but option 1 for me

Cheers @TB Rich

I looked, scrolled down and you had a link to the first HU.....then it disappeared from sight ! Im guessing you edited your post.

***Just wondering about display out function. Did you also have a good source for a lead for the steering wheel controls for this HU ?

Nope, not edited anything?! Link to buy below, says speak to them about about any fascias and controls etc:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clarion-F...Stereo-Radio-Player-RED-Display-/271643876546

I'm presuming it'll need a fascia trim - I've got an Autoleads Clio III fascia as that's what I used in the carbon blank as a surround. Not sure if anything else would be needed, too many years since I changed a stereo - hoping it'll be p'n'p nowadays.

The OEM steering control - from what I can tell the item it needs for a Clio III is a Clarion RCE-128w, seems to be €65 according to Google. - No doubt any of the UK suppliers of the HU can get the lead too.

So you coming on the 2nd of October Rich iam the same with my face thing in my 220t it sounds fine but option 1 for me

Probably looking to go more mid-season to SPA, try and guarantee the weather? Oct is likely to be a bit cold and probably wet isn't it?

Nope, not edited anything?! Link to buy below, says speak to them about about any fascias and controls etc:

I'm presuming it'll need a fascia trim - I've got an Autoleads Clio III fascia as that's what I used in the carbon blank as a surround. Not sure if anything else would be needed, too many years since I changed a stereo - hoping it'll be p'n'p nowadays.

The OEM steering control - from what I can tell the item it needs for a Clio III is a Clarion RCE-128w, seems to be €65 according to Google. - No doubt any of the UK suppliers of the HU can get the lead too.

Probably looking to go more mid-season to SPA, try and guarantee the weather? Oct is likely to be a bit cold and probably wet isn't it?
My 4th time with circuit days been mild and dry all four times @TBRich

Will look into it further then, compare the cost against the mid-summer days. Not booking anything until the car is moving again and certainly not booking something foreign until it's had a shakedown with the changes.

Reactions: nutnutwelshman
...they tend to look out of place IMO.
Yeah. I'm also looking for a headunit for my car and can't find anything acceptable. They all look like christmas trees.

Out of those two, I'd go with the Clarion. The other one screams budget and low quality materials.

Cheers Kev, yeah I'll pick your brains nearer the time.

As for the stereo, looks like the Clarion is a clear favourite - I'll mull it over and maybe buy it in the next few days. I'm having visions of the car moving soon!!! :smile:

Reactions: nutnutwelshman
Yeah. I'm also looking for a headunit for my car and can't find anything acceptable. They all look like christmas trees.

Out of those two, I'd go with the Clarion. The other one screams budget and low quality materials.

haha yeah they do, a Christmas tree at a disco!

There is a nice Pioneer one I've seen, but I'm not spending over £200. Also if you google for images of it installed, they all show that the unit protrudes out too far and spoils the look. If it was flush it'd look great I think, you could set the background colours to match the stock dash and it would kind of have a factory nav upgrade style to it.
mvh-8300bt-main.jpg

haha yeah they do, a Christmas tree at a disco!

There is a nice Pioneer one I've seen, but I'm not spending over £200. Also if you google for images of it installed, they all show that the unit protrudes out too far and spoils the look. If it was flush it'd look great I think, you could set the background colours to match the stock dash and it would kind of have a factory nav upgrade style to it.
mvh-8300bt-main.jpg
It seems as Pioneer makes the only acceptable ones. I'm deciding between http://www.pioneer-car.eu/eur/products/deh-3200ub and http://www.pioneer-car.eu/eur/products/deh-x8700bt They are both around 150 euros. BTW, have you seen Sonys headunits these days? Yuck!

Ah yeah the DEH-X8700BT I thought was going to be perfect as you can set the colours up to oem like in these pics....BUT, that silver control wheel!!!!! HUGE when you see it on some installed images! And again it seems to stick out really far :worried:

imagemd.php

d1J83Mll.jpg

Ah yeah the DEH-X8700BT I thought was going to be perfect as you can set the colours up to oem like in these pics....BUT, that silver control wheel!!!!! HUGE when you see it on some installed images! And again it seems to stick out really far :worried:

imagemd.jpg

d1J83Mll.jpg
Keep in mind that in the first picture it lacks the rim that goes around it. That's why it looks strange. The second one is how it should look but yeah, it won't be flush with the surrounding panel in the Clio like the OEM unit is but neither will the Clarion. Agreed about the control wheel as well. They could've designed it without the ring around/behind it, then it wouldn't have been sticking out as far. It isn't perfect but it is one of the better choices.

ah yeah true, didn't notice that missing on the first pic, it would help for sure. Anyway if I do go for the Clarion - I'll post it up on here and we'll see what the match is like.

Well the Clarion is really good match for the Clio in my opinion, def not your typical aftermarket jazzy affair.
Not the greatest pic on my shitty phone... but a quick snap whilst finishing the install. There is less difference in the flesh than the image suggests, and I'll chuck some better pics up in my project thread when I get round to it.

IMAG0854.jpg

Looks fantastic Rich. Really great match that. You've done well !

Looks to sit in the aperture really good too ? This one had no display out faculty no ? (Not that you wanted / needed it).

How does it sound ?