Which Brake Disc Cleaner?

Wisenatcho

Paid Member
As above, what cleaning products / brands are people using? Discs have acquired a fair bit of surface rust could do with being removed! Cheers

Surface rust on the actual disc that the pad comes into contact with? Or rust around the hub?

The rust around the disc itself where the pad makes contact is normal and usually appears when it rains and will disappear after you drive and brake a few times.

If you mean the rust around the hub then get some Hammerite, clean it up with a wire brush or something and just paint straight over the rust :thumb:

Reactions: sevenfourate
Yes as above I'm a bit confused - if it's the part where the pad touches then that will disappear with a drive down the road.

If it's the hubs then no cleaner is going to solve the problem, as above, paint is the only way forward!

Reactions: nutnutwelshman
Thanks for the replies, as you point out I should have said that it's specifically the discs I wanted to clean. (The hubs are fine) The rust is quite thick and uneven rather than just the usual discoloration which is why I'm hesitant to use the pads to clean it off!

Thanks for the replies, as you point out I should have said that it's specifically the discs I wanted to clean. (The hubs are fine) The rust is quite thick and uneven rather than just the usual discoloration which is why I'm hesitant to use the pads to clean it off!

Blimey how long you left the car?

Sadly a few months over the winter, outside. :worried:

Doing a few gradual stops not applying the brakes too harshly should get rid of it all, just time your take and start off slow just in case the rust stop the brakes from working as effectively as they should :smile:

Reactions: Wisenatcho
As said pads will clean the discs if it's the face you are talking about. It won't sound nice at the start but will clean up nicely. A brake service after that would be on my list.

Reactions: Wisenatcho