Wheel & Tyre Insurance - Utter Waste Of £299 It Seems...

Willis

The Gatekeeper
Platinum Member
Unfortunately I have a bit of a gripe. :thumb1:

I picked my '07 197 up on 12.05.10 from LOOKERS ALTRINCHAM. Now, I have to say that prior to me picking the car up the customer service had been excellent. I found all of the staff very helpful, particularly Sianne and Lindsay (Sales Rep. & Receptionist). I've only had to contact the dealership twice sine then, once as they forgot to stamp my service book and once to pick up my Renaultsport Mats.

But, the day after I picked my car up, I noticed that it had one budget ''Sunny'' tyre on the left rear. It was literally brand new, all of the spikes were still present and indeed there was still some residue from the sticker. The other three tyres were the Conti' 3's. Had I noticed this prior to picking the car up, I'd have asked them to change the budget one as a deal-breaker. As it happens, I phoned up to ask about having it changed either under warranty or under the £299 wheel & tyre insurance cover I'd taken out. I was told that they cannot change the tyre and unless it was to ''become damaged'' I could not claim under my insurance... So, £137.50 went to Kwik-Fit Mobile instead. I think maybe the budget tyre was put on at the dealership but I cannot prove it and it seems more hassle than it's worth, so I consider that gripe to be solved.

However, I still have a big gripe left. :worried: Three days after picking up the car, I clipped a kerb with my left front wheel. It's done no damage to the tyre or steering geometry but it has left a scuff around 1" long on the wheel rim. Obviously, I spent £299 to insure my wheels incase I ever scuffed one or burst a tyre. When I rang LOOKERS ALTRINCHAM, I was told that Primea should've sent me some documents outlining the terms of my insurance, but I'd not (and still haven't) recieved anything. I was also told that I'd be rang back with the number for Primea. This didn't happen, so I found the number myself. They sent me a SIX PAGE claim form. They wanted FOUR PICTURES of the car, not just the wheel and the pictures had to show my numberplate. I was told the claim could take upto 21 days to go through and there was no garauntee they would fix the wheel.

So, WHAT does this insurance actually cover!?! If a tyre goes on me, will I have to wait 21 days for a new one if I claim!?!

If this is the case then can somebody please advise how I'd get my £299 back.

I've now arranged to have my wheel refurbed privately for £35.

Any advice or opinions are welcome, sorry for the rant!!!

Cheers,

Will

this is not a waste of money mate, if you go through the correct claims process it saves u money, ive had a full set of conti 3's out of them as they all got punctures and 2 wheel refurbs. bear in mind this was on my last rims ive lost the insurance now ive changed wheels but i'd stick with it.

There's no doubt that for the tyres it's worth having cover, £299 would just about buy 2 Conti's!!! :smile:

But being told they might not even fix the wheel and it'll take them three weeks to decide is a bit of a p***take. I'm happy to pay my mate £35 to refurb it at his shop, but if the claims process wasn't such a pain in the arse then it's £35 I wouldn't have to spend. Did you have a similar pile of paperwork to work through when you made your claims? With the tyres, was it the same sort of process as the wheels or did you just run the car back to the dealership and they sorted it?

Last edited by a moderator:
they will they just say that to put u off they ask u for front back photos 1 of the wheel and 1 of the damage with these photos u send u will get a phonecall within 24 hours and they send some1 out from a company called revive the same day of the call. a great service. i got 645 quid cheque off em for 4 new tyres as they all were punctured

That's not so bad then!!! It just seemed like a whole lot of hassle.

It's gone past the 72 hours clam window now, but at least I know how they work incase I need them again!!!

Cheers!!! :smile:

lmao tell em u did it last night how do they know? u think i really got 4 punctures all at once?

tricks of the trade mate tricks of the trade. stick with me and u'll go far........

''Some scrote just went down our street on his way home and slashed my tyres...''

That might be what I might use if I ever need to... :tongueout: