Whats the point of the Cold Air Feed (CAF)......??

First I know the point of one but not on the 197....the pipe could be better placed near the grill and it appears to be almost blocked anyway????

Furthermore...the 200 doesn't even have any grilles but does still retain the CAF, something make any sense????

CAF's aint all about getting cold air to and through the filter.

They are specific sizes with bends in often for a reason, this controls the flow and type of air received.
For instance you could have a direct straight pipe air box to out side, dosnt means it would be an improved system. Its all about air flow rate and that.

Pretty sure my 182 has gill on the under tray that were designed more for induction then brake cooling always expected for mk3 a/b's to be the same.

on a 200 it feeds from the top 'grill', all the same design/placement as a 197 so the feed is just as effective.

CAF's aint all about getting cold air to and through the filter.

They are specific sizes with bends in often for a reason, this controls the flow and type of air received.
For instance you could have a direct straight pipe air box to out side, dosnt means it would be an improved system. Its all about air flow rate and that.

Pretty sure my 182 has gill on the under tray that were designed more for induction then brake cooling always expected for mk3 a/b's to be the same.

Agree, not all about it but more certainly more so than not. Not for me to question Renault sport but it would seem to be a wasted opportunity to put a air intake there that effectively doesn't get any air? The hole is almost a sealed unit.....

Agree, not all about it but more certainly more so than not. Not for me to question Renault sport but it would seem to be a wasted opportunity to put a air intake there that effectively doesn't get any air? The hole is almost a sealed unit.....
I removed the plastic cover/plate infront of the hole(you'll see it behind the grille). Although it may have been a placebo effect, i was sure at the time it revved a little free'er especially when i found that the pipe that joins the resonator box was not attached to the box & facing the engine block:glare:

Cold air isnt always good, ask the meg owners whos engines have blown after the extra cold winter and the warm spring, cold air and hot surfaces dont go well on metallic surfaces. Embrittlement isnt pleasant, the 'cold air feed' crosses the warm intakes for a reason, hence the reason full throttle pulls in warm air off the engine bay. The resonator box also acts as a knock-out pot for moisture

Last edited: