What modifications have you made to your 197/200? What do you really think of them?

The main stuff.....

8x18 Compomotive MO
Bit different to the norm also and allows easy fitment of the pf brake upgrade.
Worth the expense/purchase again? Yes/yes.

Megane 250 engine
First one in a Clio. Debate still out there over NA v FI but if its power your looking for great conversion. Still some work to do with fueling and VVT. Currently 280bhp but when thats completed should be around 330 bhp. Also more than double the torque of a standard clio 197/200 and still revs to around 6.5k
Worth the expense/purchase again? yes/yes

R26 gearbox
Bonus comes with diff as standard.

Kw clubsports
Clubsports bit OTT if not tracking. KW1's better matched for general fast road use but I got a good deal where the Clubsports were less than KW1's. H&R springs\cup shocks are a superb alternative IMO. Will give you the looks without the price.
Worth the expense/purchase again? No/no.

Supersprint Exhaust
Great build quality. Race system too loud, I had to fit a extra silencer.
Worth the expense/purchase again? yes/possibly.

!

I did the exhaust and map then took them, back off. Too noisy + flat spot pita

Braided lines ... Kept them

Changed to cl5 pads ....now back to OEM to aggressive as an all round pad

Well the first "mod" has been upgrading the bulbs.

I've fitted a 6000k hid kit and added silvatec bulbs to replace the orange indicators, led side lights, and replaced the cornering and full beam bulbs with 5000k hlaogen bulbs.

I'm really pleased, it's made a huge difference for night time driving and I think it improves the cars front end.

10/10

Here are some pics

20130107173124small.jpg

20130107172752small.jpg

20130107172716small.jpg

20130107172824small.jpg

20130107172857small.jpg

20130107173035small.jpg

ITG Air filter - didn't really feel or hear any difference in its own but for the price it can't hurt. 8/10

Miltek cat-back system - excellent! 10/10

AMD remap - gain of 10bhp with the above, but the main difference the extra driveability and its nice having a few extra rpm to play with. 10/10

Mintex grooved discs - brilliant, cant fault on road or track. 10/10

Mintex 1144 pads - again excellent, however this set up does boil my standard fluid too easily so need braided lines and uprated fluid which is being done in a month or so.

Very soon will be:
de-cat
removal of centre silencer
another remap
braided lines
uprated fluid

Bump to a great thread .... Anyone else want to give their thoughts on Clubsports ?

Roger, out of interest how do the Mintex prices compare to OEM parts?

I've used Mintex on previous cars and found them very good.

I can't remember the exact costs of pads and discs, but I know the total including fitting for the fronts came to £372. Personally i don't think that's half bad, but remember having a chat on here with Danny at 519 who said he could do it even cheaper. Had mine done at AMD in Thurrock (Essex).
Can't rate them highly enough, brilliant feel and excellent performance on track but still have decent performance when cold.
The only issue I've had is that I now need to change to braided lines and updated fluid as the standard set up does boil after 15/20 of very hard driving, which would be no good at how fast :smile:

Excellent, might try them next. :smile:

I'm using HEL Hoses and Millers Oils Race Fluid 300+ (DOT 4+), it's a very good setup.

Megane R26/ drilled disc's and DS2500 pad. Also AP fluid and goodridge lines.

Haven't even bedded them in yet (done about 70miles) and give the whole set up 8/10 !! Loads better bite over standard set up and loads firmer on the pedal. How should come from the factory personally

On another subject, has anyone just added a sports cat into the standard system?

Engine:

UPsolute remap - Best mod I did as it makes the car's performance as it should be. More urgent, more torque on low ends and revs all the way to 7900rpm £275. 10/10

K&N Panel Filter - Can't compare as I bought the car with it already installed. What I can say is that it gives this air sound when revving at first. £60

Exhaust:

Centre-Silencer Removal - More noise, more flatspot, but the noise outweighs the flatspot. Pops and bangs on over runs. A bit annoying when the exhaust is still cold though £20. 6/10

Scorpion Cat-Back System (resonated) + decat pipe - Sounds so good! Alot of grunt in the noise. Pops and bangs alot. It also gave the car an extra urge to rev mainly because of the decat pipe. Sounds like a tuned type R :lol: Definitely worth it £470. 10/10

Engine/Gearbox

64mm throttle body - Car responded earlier in the rev range which is a good thing. Only took 3 15 minute drives to settle the idle rev. Straight forward install and immediate response.
Would I do it again? No* 7/10 £75

V6 Airbox - A bit of faffing about getting it to fit with the Odyssey battery. The difference in sound is insane. I pulled over shortly after installing cause I thought it fell off, it really is that loud. Another improvement in response.
Would I do it again? Yes 8/10 £145

Odyssey PC680 battery
A necessity to have the battery fit in the engine bay with the giant airbox. Less weight but in hindsight I should have just gone for a lithium ion unit. Slightly more coin but much lighter. Still the Odyssey is reasonably priced and has powered the car without fault even with the extra juice required from the upgraded stereo.
Would I do it again? No (Only cause you can get a lighter battery with a smaller foot print for not much more money) 7/10 £150

Custom Map
Hell yes. When you're looking at the Dyno monitor and you see the tiny gain you can't help but feel a little disappointed. What was surprising was how much it improved the drive. The torque from low down improved noticeably which is sorely needed on the 197. The custom tune was by Henk from Fast Chip. An OzRS member organised for a few of us to get a tune so he flew out to Aus to map some RS's
Would I do it again? Yes 11/10 £200

Akrapovic Exhaust
Beautiful piece of kit. Noticeable performance increase and sound is amazing. This with the airbox give it an incredible sound.
Would I do it again? Yes 10/10 £1000

Map Sensor Mod
For such a simple little thing to do and the effect it has on the damping of the flat spot it's a no brainer. BE CAREFUL though, if there is no play DO NOT force it. It will snap! I was unfortunate enough to snap someone else's at a Dyno day. Fortunately there was a couple of lovely tech's who fixed it.
Would I do it again? Yes 9/10 £4? (tube of silicon isn't much)

Sprintbooster
Lovely little unit and a nice and easy install. After reading various opinions throughout the interweb I came to a 50/50 decision. Most on here like it, elsewhere it's not received very positively. I took the punt and it's worth the coin.
Would I do it again? Yes 10/10 £175

Light weight Flywheel
There is not (well not when I was considering the purchase anyway) a great deal of info and experience on here regarding a lightened flywheel so I didn't have a high expectation of performance increase. The Quaife dropped to the price I wanted and knew the flywheel would go well with it along with Raptor's lightened crank pulley. I was really pleased with how the car revved with the Engine Dynamics flywheel. I think this mod is kind of underestimated. Flywheel + crank pulley + Sprintbooster = Win! The car flies through the rev range now.
Would I do it again? Yes 9/10 £273

Quaife LSD
A diff on any car is a good thing and the Quaife is no different. You can feel it tightening your line mid corner and the slip is from the outside wheel not the inside when you're pushing the car. I now enter corners slightly slower than before so I can get on the power earlier giving me better mid corner and corner exit speed.
Would I do it again? Yes 10/10 £500

Chassis

197 cup shocks + H&R springs
My car came with these and never really gave them a second thought until I drove a stock 200. It had body roll in the corners which I was unfamiliar with.
Would I do it again? Maybe. Only if they were half the price of KW V1's 7/10 £?

DS2500 pads, braided lines & brake fluid
Had my first track day coming up and had seen this was a proven path. No fade on either track day. There was a small improvement in braking performance but it wasn't night and day. The stock set up is pretty good but perhaps not ideal for track days. Goodridge lines and Motul 600 fluid.
Would I do it again? Yes (only cause the car goes to the track, if not don't bother) 7/10 £290

Engine mounts, Right mount and transmission mount (Vibratechnics) + dogbone mount & light weight crank pulley (Raptor6767)
Another pleasant surprise in performance. I got all these done at the same time to I can't rate them individually. Together they provide a significant improvement in response. The vibration at idle was a little harsh to start with, I really thought I'd crossed the line on a daily but they've calmed down a bit and now the casual vibes of the mounts combined with the sub pulsing is kind of relaxing.
Would I do it again? Yes 8/10 £280 (Vibratechnics) £190 (Raptor6767)

Oz Ultraleggera
They just match the Clio so well! Lighter than stock with a nice low offset really makes the car look much more purposeful. I've always loved the line from the roof down the A & C pillar to the massively flared arches. The car looks like it's reaching out for more tarmac to grip. The correct offset wheel completes that look. You can actually feel the difference at first when you're turning the wheel with the slightly less unsprung weight.
Would I do it again? Yes 10/10 £350 (second hand)

200 diffuser and C L I O debadge
Cosmetic changes are subjective so it's hard to say if they are good changes really. Personally I never liked the 197 diffuser, it looks cheap in unfinished plastic so I was super happy to pick up an anthracite 200 diffuser to match my wheels.
I'm also a no badges guy. I would prefer none at all but the RenaultSport one is still on there. Maybe one day I'll finally get rid of it.
Would I do it again? Yes 10/10 £150 (diffuser second hand)

Interior
When I can't use that awesome chassis I do love me some beats so set a budget of roughly £150 per component. The sound is obviously way better than stock but in hindsight I should have done rear's and sound deadening in the doors. The sound is all front stage, not well balanced at all but I rarely get to turn it up so I've just kind of got used to it.
KCE-400BT, Bluetooth Module £100
Alpine Headunit - IDA-X305S £150
Stalk Adapter £75
Focal 130 A1 5.25" Splits £110
Pioneer TS-SWX251 Preloaded 10" TS-SW251 Shallow-Mount Subwoofer Enclosure Box £113
XDI804 ARC AUDIO AMP 4-Channel £200
Stinger wiring £110
Would I do it again? Yes 7/10 Total cost = £858 + install

There was also postage and install fees with most of these purchases so the total spend is a little scary but that's modding...don't look at the total figure. Spend what you can afford and enjoy it.

*I would go the Sprintbooster instead of the 64mm throttle body next time around.

EDIT: fixed some of the wording

Last edited: