What is going to be the future of the RS Clio???

Paul

Platinum Member
As per the title really! Jaxx has already made some good points on where he thinks the future of the petrol engine is going and I can see an electric alternative to the 2.0 N/A engine in a few generations time (5th?).

Are Renault just going to squeeze 3bhp a time out the current engine when everyone else is going for forced induction or are they going to give in a super/turbocharge our beloved motor!?

Im sure there is more to come from the current engine but is this going to be best to stick with the competition?

If the next generation was put on a strict weight loss programme from the start Im sure it would benefit.

Just wanting to know what everyone else thinks is going to happen to the future RS Clios :confused1:

I really love the N/A character of the engine so I'd really hope they stick with that and work backwards, a tad more power is always nice but if they can combine that with some weight saving (although it's hard to do and maintain cost effective safety I would think) then even better. I'm sure they could ease the rev limit up another 500 rpm in the current motor with the appropriate reliability tweaks to go with it and that would typically release some more hp even if the torque delivery will never significantly change.

But I'm prepared perhaps for the reality that's going to be a 1.6 turbo motor, I would think the competitive nature of the market sector will almost demand it due to emissions/mpg etc. I'm sure they'll do a cracking job though, the current Clio is a great product and I hope they can maintain the momentum.

Only thing I'd ask for is that the Recaro's can be lowered slightly more than they are today, just a tad high for my liking so I opted to keep the standard seats (oh and perhaps half-leather to help the bolster wear problems) oh and keep it priced around £15K haha.

It's already been announced that the next Clio RS will benefit from the same weight saving materials as used in the the new Megane. The N/A engine will stay, but with some more tuning to take advantage of weight savings with much improved economy and emissions.

Personally I can't see them moving away from the F4R unit. They've been developing it for years and I much prefer the responsiveness and fun of a high revving N/A engine. That's what the Clio RS has always been about.

yeah I thought they were sticking with the F4R again for the next model. Although I do think its future is starting to look a little bleak. With the way the market is pushing Co2/emissions blah blah and the price of fuel rocketing I dont think Renault can get away with keeping it much after that, not when all the rest of the market are busy slagging big engines for being 'old fashioned' compared to their new spangly turbo/supercharged smaller capacity ones.

If you could get the same performance at the same cost from an electric car as a petrol why wouldnt you buy one? Reason being you cant.

Take the Tesla Roadster for example, which claims to have the same performance as the Lotus Elise ... very cool, have you seen the cost of it? Starting price of £86,950.

It be cheaper to buy an Elise and run it on race fuel.

On another note, why do all these electric cars need to run on battery life like its a damn mobile phone?? Once the car starts moving cant they make it charge off the momentum of the wheels turning ??

Good thread :smile:

Original posts can be found here for those in the dark (sorry again to Jase for the thread rape) - http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?p=37756#post37756

To continue with Graeme's post...

If you could get the same performance at the same cost from an electric car as a petrol why wouldnt you buy one? Reason being you cant.

Take the Tesla Roadster for example, which claims to have the same performance as the Lotus Elise ... very cool, have you seen the cost of it? Starting price of £86,950.

Performance is retrospective. Look at the first cars when the IC engine was still in its infancy. There were no 200mph+ supercars, only motor carriages that could muster walking pace.

The technology needs time to be developed.

Yes the Tesla although mega cool is mega expensive. Again, the original motor cars were just for the rich and well-to-do and were used as a play thing, same as for passenger flights, once upon a time you spent a poor mans yearly wages for a 1 hour flight, now we get pissed off if we have to pay 3quid for earbuds on a skanky RyanAir crate to Magaluf.

Technology and R&D need to get their teeth into it (as Renault are doing) and it will become an affordable reality... with performance :smile:

On another note, why do all these electric cars need to run on battery life like its a damn mobile phone?? Once the car starts moving cant they make it charge off the momentum of the wheels turning ??

I appreciate your saying "why dont you fit a generator to each wheel" and as said wheel turns, it turns the generator and makes electricity.

In the perfect world yes...

But sadly Physics is a cruel mistress. As its far less efficient to generate electricity than it is to use it in an electric motor to create motion.

A generator of course will apply a load. So a motor turning a wheel with a continual generator attached, you would be loosing some of the energy that could be providing performance and range.

Yes you would get some energy back, but will be very little concidering the losses. If we could do it the other way round, that would be perpetuation, which is the holy grail... but ultimately impossible!

However, this is where Regenerative Braking comes into play.

Back up one step in a sense. But this time we have an electric car where 2 or maybe all 4 wheels are driven by an electric motor. However each motor also has the underpinnings of a generator built in.

When accelerating, or at constant speed, the generation elements are completely shut down and sustaining minimal (if at all any) load on an any of the axles. The motor elements are purely turning the wheels from electricity stroed in batterys.

However, when you come off the accelerator and start to decelerate or indeed brake, then the generation elements come into play.

So a back to school simple science of kinetic (stored) energy. The car continues to travel using this kinetic energy to now turn the generators on the axles which in turn create some electricity and replenish the batterys. OK its never going to do a full charge, but it may add a percentage to the range.

Believe it or not, but electric trams have been using this for years! When they decelerate they pump the converted energy back into the national grid through the overhead lines. Also some buses and trucks have been using it for a while. :smile: