What has gone wrong with your Clio?

Had water entry in my boot, Renault have had it in once and failed to rectify the problem.

6month old, 6500mile 200.

Melted clutch slave cylinder teehee
Scroll wheel on steering wheel audio controls replaced
Spoiler end caps replaced (one ballooned up)
Exhaust realigned due to a knocking over bumps at low speed (so glad this is fixed now, it drove me nuts)

Paint is a bit thin on the spoiler and some bits of grit under the paint but its not worth the hassle getting it sorted.

So far ours has been fine. Thought the gearbox was on its way out a good few thousands miles ago but it been perfect since (And it hasnt had an easy life tbh).

Just had the old seized pins issue - thinks my front pads have seized in too.

New gearbox after 17k

New front springs to solve the near side knock issue.

after 4 track days, and road miles (11k since Jan in total) I have a funny creaking/knocking noise from the front as i pull away or get on or off the gas.

yet to investigate. but a bit annoying!

Was thinking of buying a 197 F1 or 200...... and then i read this thread. Are these typical ownership experiences or are there actually some owners out there with trouble free ownership?

We can all quote other marques with similar stories, but these are usually more isolated occurencies. I was under the impression that the RS build quality was a little higher?

Nick, I think there are actually quite a few on here that have had nothing go wrong. Perhaps someone should start a thread? Mine have only been little niggling things. At the end of the day, it's mechanical, they all go wrong at some point in their life. You take a risk buying anything. Just buy and enjoy.

Bought 3 weeks ago 2007 registered nimbus silver clio 197.
Now approx 32.000miles / 51.000km driven

First owner issues:

-Rear brake discs/pads replaced
-Headunit replaced

Current issues:

-Front brake pins/pads stuck
-Front brake discs warped and grooved
-Boot banging, solved now
-Weather strips splitted

I will update this.
I am somewhere worried about Finnish winter. We will have -30 and over.. maybe its not too smart to drive 197 over winter. I have been thinking that i will buy some 500€ nissan or something.

Last edited:
Nick I've had mine for half a year and I've had no real problems.
My engine light has flashed up for <1 minute whilst on a hot day and stuck in traffic (one of the lambdas over reading the exhaust fume build up imo)
also one of my door seals needs replacing due to a split.

Other then that its a solid little runner. Mines a 56 plate on 30k.

Had my crank sensor go on me the other week. No warning just a cold morning and she wouldn't start. Easy fix and under warranty... Win win. On a 07 197

Door pillar seals / strips replaced on the day I picked up my 197, then and there.

I agreed to buy my nimbus on the condition it had a large scratch removed. They didn't do it. Car machine polished to get rid of a mark that they said they would do, and eventually did after me contacting Renault UK, twice.

Front brake pad seizure etc.

I've got the 'glovebox issue' too. Might persue it, but then I think I'll just be wasting my time.

Gearbox is really starting to whine in 2nd, 3rd and 4th when you let off the throttle.

Rusty wheel nuts.
- Could someone post up a picture of their rusty wheel nuts, just so I can get an idea of what Renault will replace. I might just be being picky :wink:

And as for my Twingo 133, well............

As someone who is looking to buy A 197, this thread is scary!! :worried:

Not really, it gives you tips on what to look for when buying one.

Are some of those electrical problems, auto lights, wipers etc not on the cup cars?

As someone who is looking to buy A 197, this thread is scary!! :worried:

Shouldn't be, when you look at the thread title, besides, forums bring out the people who have faults.

For the record, 10 months and 12,000 miles later mine has been superb, the only fault on it being the passenger door speaker was intermittent until they swapped it out at it's first service on Friday.