What has gone wrong with your Clio?

07 43k

2 x door seals (common)
sticking rear brakes (common)
rusty wheel nuts

apart from the above which are minor my cars been reliable (touch wood)

Hi, this isn't supposed to be an opportunity to slag our Le Reggie's build quality, but rather to identify what to look out for on a used 197 (or 200).

I am putting together a list of things to look out for and your input into what you have had problems with on your car would be gratefully received.

I will start below;

Steering wheel wear
Seat bolster wear (on outer bolsters of both Recaro and standard seats)
Failing gearbox syncros, notably on 3rd
Siezed wiper linkages
Failed comfort access lock and unlock switched on the doors, usually drivers door
Play in steering rack, common Renault issue, requiring new track rods (not track rod ends, though they are easy to replace at the same time)
Poor / slipped door alignment
Failed lower ball joints on front hub knuckles
Split rubber seals at leading edge of rear side windows

What else have you had to deal with?

Thanks for your input

Ive just dropped mine off at Renault Preston today for the following:

1. Recaro seat in a real state!
2. Melted top of steering wheel
3. Throttle sticking
4. Oil leak (looks like rocker cover top end of engine)
5. Flat spot
6. Gearbox/Engine noise, sounds like somesort of bearing.
7. Headlamp cracked due to rubbing on bumper
8. Glovebox all skew!

Mileage 16,000 2008 July Registed Model.

Ive also registered the problems with Renault UK today.

Can everyone list the garage and date they had the problems and what got done on warranty (and if renault UK were needed).

:bash:

Ive just dropped mine off at Renault Preston today for the following:

1. Recaro seat in a real state!
2. Melted top of steering wheel
3. Throttle sticking
4. Oil leak (looks like rocker cover top end of engine)
5. Flat spot
6. Gearbox/Engine noise, sounds like somesort of bearing.
7. Headlamp cracked due to rubbing on bumper
8. Glovebox all skew!

Mileage 16,000 2008 July Registed Model.

Ive also registered the problems with Renault UK today.

Can everyone list the garage and date they had the problems and what got done on warranty (and if renault UK were needed).

:bash:

The previous owner had the door alignment sorted, i noted renault didnt put the plastic trim panels back together properly so i disassembled it and put it back together properly!!!

2months old, map sensor loose!!! -can't believe Renault don't retain this with a screw & both door seals don't fit properly (don't sit right toward the back of the car at the bottom)
-Andy

Nothing at all....it's been pretty much perfect from day one :smile:

(except when hubby crashed it into a concrete flower bed...then there was quite a lot wrong with it...)

57 plate car, 41k on the clock...

Slight blowing from the exhaust - cracked exhaust manifold

Top engine mount too lose (the cause of above)

At last, someone matching my problems. I've changed 2 top engine mounts,3 total.

I also got a cracked exhaust manifold because of the top mount being loose. Also ,i got a slight tremolo from the gas pedal at low rpm (mainly when booting from low torque rev-band) which was caused by the side engine mount being loose. Maybe i should stop changing gears so fiercely:oops: Mine is a late 06' with 70.000 km by the way.

Here goes.....

1.) Drivers side window seal split, but replaced under warranty. Has since gone again outside of warranty.
2.) Rusty wheel nuts, replaced under warranty. Not brown yet, but have started to corode badly again.
3.) Melted steering wheel on right had side, replaced under warranty.
4.) Sticking / binding rear brakes.
5.) Emissions light has flashed on / off on at least 3 separate occasions. Took it to dealers who couldn't find anything wrong. Not seen in come on for a while, so fingers crossed on that one.
6.) Drivers side window seems to be playing up occasionally, have to keep pressing / releasing the switch to get it to go up / down, otherwise if you keep it depressed it just stops.
7.) Had a bit of water coming in through top of drivers door.
8.) When turing on the headlights sometimes the instrument panel doesn't light up so have to switch lights off and then back on again.
9.) Latest one tonight was when I got out the car I couldn't lock it by pressing the button on the drivers door, passenger door or on the boot so had to use the key card. Left it 1/2 hour and went back out to check it and it is working again, so probably on its way out.
10.) Glovebox is bent / doesn't sit right.
11.) Paint run on passenger side rear bumper where it meets the wheel arch. Never got that sorted.
12.) All the centre caps are flaking.
13.) If I put the air / air con one 1, sounds like there in leaves in the vents (probably are).

I'm sure there are more. Car is an 07 plate with just over 30k miles on the clock.

Should have kept my old 1.2 :thumbdown:

1) Knock from NSF quarter - moaned at my local dealer a few times - they replaced the front springs and hey presto - fixed (finally)

2) Gearbox grinding in to 4th gear - currently awaiting a new gearbox (under warranty). Should be fitted in 2 weeks.

3) Knocking from rear when turning right - I thing this is the boot catch but haven't got round to sorting it yet.

4) Knock felt through steering - mysteriously disappeared when the front springs were changed? Must have been fixed as a by product of dismantling the front suspension.

5) Glovebox door hangs out on the right side - had it replaced but this one went the same after 3-4months. Cba to have it changed again.

6) Rusty wheel nuts - just bought some covers.

7) Binding rear brakes - I've tried everything to stop it but nothing seems to work. Only happens at first start up in a morning though so not too bothered.

8 ) Knocking from front of the car when cold. Only happens when I change gear or lift off the accelerator. Goes away once warm. Still haven't been able to figure this out - engine mounts seems to sound likely as above?

One minor hate is that it drinks oil!

Just purchased the extended warranty for 1 year as I've got a feeling it will pay for itself lol.

Last edited:
My drivers door locking button has started playing up at 4000 miles / 10 plate which is being looked into in the next few weeks.

Apart from that nothing... so far!

to be fair mate, all imho of course, you have to expect a few bits and bobs to break when you end up buying french :wink: lol

Although there do see to be quite a few, annoying common faults. I'm still very impressed with mine, coming from Vw to Renault I was expecting knocks, rattles and squeeks, and I get none of these things.

Nothing at all....it's been pretty much perfect from day one :smile:

(except when hubby crashed it into a concrete flower bed...then there was quite a lot wrong with it...)

Wot do concrete flowers look like?

Only thing I can think of going wrong on mine would be one of the rear callipers sticking, but the brakes were due a change anyway so I don't think of it as a fail :wink:

How much warranty to Renault offer with the interior? My recaros and door cards are wearing very badly. I've only had the car three weeks and its only covered 3.5k miles. Not very impressed with that, aslong as it's under warranty i don't mind

New door seals twice,fuel pump,new gear box,lights fixed twice,new tyre and this was done when just got the car had it for 7 months its had over 3k spend on it

So far mine has largely behaved itself.. (famous last words!)

In 4 years i've had only had the door seals replaced (they split last summer) and way back when I had the kangaroo problem sorted out.

I've had a couple of flat batteries over the winter which were entirely my own fault for simply not driving it enough....something i'm putting right.

I've got the usual wear on the steering wheel and a bit on my drivers seat bolster but i'm living with it.

1. Recaro seat wear
2. Alloy wheel paint bubbing
3. Drivers door allignment
4. Brake pads corroded
5. Door/window seal
6. Locking button on door handle
7. Steering wheel melting
8. Handbrake high travel

Last edited: