What has gone wrong with your Clio?

Hi, this isn't supposed to be an opportunity to slag our Le Reggie's build quality, but rather to identify what to look out for on a used 197 (or 200).

I am putting together a list of things to look out for and your input into what you have had problems with on your car would be gratefully received.

I will start below;

Steering wheel wear
Seat bolster wear (on outer bolsters of both Recaro and standard seats)
Failing gearbox syncros, notably on 3rd
Siezed wiper linkages
Failed comfort access lock and unlock switched on the doors, usually drivers door
Play in steering rack, common Renault issue, requiring new track rods (not track rod ends, though they are easy to replace at the same time)
Poor / slipped door alignment
Failed lower ball joints on front hub knuckles
Split rubber seals at leading edge of rear side windows

What else have you had to deal with?

Thanks for your input

There used to be a big thread on what people have had done under warranty but I can't find it

Mine has had:
Drivers seat base on recaro replaced
Glovebox door replaced

The seals by the windows have started to split but otherwise it's all good!

crazed plastic in front headlights,
lipped rear discs,
sticking rear callipers,
rusting wheel bolts,
condensation in rear light units,
brake pedal sensor,
boot switch and catch,
front speakers,
poor seal around original windscreen,

this thread may turn into a very long depressing list

Flaking paint on alloys (blessing in disguise though as got powdercoated under warranty as a result)
Headunit locked up due to sub zero temperature fault so replaced under warranty

I've only done 4k in her over 2 years but pretty pain free and higly pleasurable really

Thanks guys - yours must be like new Neil!

Can you elaborate on the issues/symptoms behind some of the repairs? Specifically;

brake pedal sensor
boot switch and catch
front speakers
gearbox

Presumably the sticking rear calipers and lip'd rear discs were related?

Thanks

Last edited:
Ben,

What was wrong with your glovebox door, broken hinges?

The interesting thing at this sort of age is how the solution changes. When the car is under warranty then fitting a new part is the easiest solution. When the owner has to pick up the tab you start to consider repair more than replacement.

steering wheel wear
head light leakiing in water
door seals splitting
repaired under warrenty
but i like to think of the good things about the car not the bad

There is certainly much to like, mine is one of the highest mileage cars on the forum and touch wood is relatively trouble free, I am just looking for things that potential buyers should be aware of.

Ben,

What was wrong with your glovebox door, broken hinges?

The interesting thing at this sort of age is how the solution changes. When the car is under warranty then fitting a new part is the easiest solution. When the owner has to pick up the tab you start to consider repair more than replacement.

It was warped, pretty common issue I think. The top edge nearest the centre console was sticking out quite a lot. Not really a problem but I got it replaced between putting down the deposit and picking her up

Av had 3 grand spent on mines in warrenty work got a new gearbox,new door seals had to go back twice cause they fell off,new fuel pump fitted,new tyre,hand break tighten up 12v battery supply fixed/lighter bit, lights fixed because they cut out and this was all done under warrenty when i just got the car lol

Thanks guys - yours must be like new Neil!

Can you elaborate on the issues/symptoms behind some of the repairs? Specifically;

brake pedal sensor
boot switch and catch
front speakers
gearbox

Presumably the sticking rear calipers and lip'd rear discs were related?

Thanks

the car would beep, giving the messages ELECTRONIC FAULT, CHECK ABS, CHECK ESP along with the service light - caused by the faulty brake pedal sensor.

the boot lid would sometimes open when i started the engine, the dealers put it down to water ingress on the boot switch, they replaced the switch and catch.

the speakers were crackling and hissing, they were replaced just before I collected the car.

the gearboxes... i'm not sure on the specifics of this because they were problems that the previous owner had, i phoned him up after buying the car to ask about its history. the gearbox was replaced 3 times in 4500 miles, when the 4th gearbox went in he never took the car back and lookers macclesfield replaced it with a clio 200. i took delivery of the car at 4500 miles with the new gearbox and it has been fine since (now at 11500miles)

the rear brakes were making a light grinding noise, took it back to the dealers and they said the rear discs were 'lipped', they replaced the rear discs and pads.

the sticking rear callipers aren't related to the 'lipped' discs, they still do it occasionally but have been much better after a strip, clean and slip.

Last edited:
Window seals split (replaced but now falling off),
rear seats rattling (still happening),
boot lid banging (still happening),
numerous A/C faults (new condesor unit been fitted)
part of dash next to steering wheel refitted,
the heater fan intermittantly makes strange noises (still happening after being looked at 3 times),

I think that's it.

I need a new steering wheel, door seals and my seats need a retrim, mines a 56 plate and that's the only thing I've had wrong with it!

the heater fan intermittantly makes strange noises (still happening after being looked at 3 times)

Mine makes a strange 'ticking' sound when on speed setting 1 (I have the basic A/C), but goes off when you turn it up. I put it down to cold weather. Is this the same sort of noise yours makes?