Verdict on owning my first Renaultsport.

Welcome to the friendliest place on the Interweb from another 50+ Clio owner (56). Albi blue + anthracite pack, possibly the best combination though I also have a soft spot for liquid yellow + anthracite pack. Have I seen this car on Facebook?

Paul, did you ever manage to drive a non-cup chassis car? I'm wrestling with this one a bit. With the roads around my way I tend to think the standard chassis will suit me best, even the ride in my current civic is a bit too hard and crashy. But then the cup is so popular I wonder if it would be really difficult to sell a car without it further down the line? Most cars I've seen have the cup chassis.

Also I think in another thread you said you paid £5.5k? I can't see anything near that price on any sites, mostly around £7k for a car like yours. Did you haggle the price down?

Cheers

Welcome to the friendliest place on the Interweb from another 50+ Clio owner (56). Albi blue + anthracite pack, possibly the best combination though I also have a soft spot for liquid yellow + anthracite pack. Have I seen this car on Facebook?

Absolutely love the anthracite option especially with Alibi blue they really work well together, with the anthracite colour the front and rear diffusers standout more where as the the black is not as noticeable.

Paul

Paul, did you ever manage to drive a non-cup chassis car? I'm wrestling with this one a bit. With the roads around my way I tend to think the standard chassis will suit me best, even the ride in my current civic is a bit too hard and crashy. But then the cup is so popular I wonder if it would be really difficult to sell a car without it further down the line? Most cars I've seen have the cup chassis.

Also I think in another thread you said you paid £5.5k? I can't see anything near that price on any sites, mostly around £7k for a car like yours. Did you haggle the price down?

Cheers
@Chris H72 morning from personal experience iam on my 11th RS if you are not going to track it none Cup is perfect for general needs

Cheers

Hi Chris. yes I did test drive a non cup version as the garage where I bought my car had a white 200 base model non cup chassis 60 reg for 6.5k over my budget but still worth a drive I thought. Impressions well on the motorway you felt no difference but on the windy roads you do notice a small difference especially after driving the two cars back to back. The non cup is still a firm ride but it had slightly more body roll and for me lost some of the magic that the cup pack had. The cup pack is a great package on these cars as I have some uneven roads where I live but driving over these the car does not crash or shake driving over them and the cabin stayed vibration noise free. Biggest plus point for me is just how much good feedback the cup chassis gives you where as the FULL cup 200 was over the top for me even firmer ride and as mentioned before I lost confidence pushing hard as hitting any uneven road it would feel a bit skittish which made me back off.
Your best option is to do what I did which was to test drive any local cars near to you even if you don't want that particular car as it help you decide what package you want in the end.

These cars are not how can I put it they are a little fragile compared to German cars they remind me a bit of how cars were made back in the early 90's lol cabin is a bit sparse no high tec gadgets here but then these cars don't need them Renault have built a superb car a real driving enthusiasts car I believe and for me the most fun Iv had driving for a long long while.
Full service history is a must on these as so many seem to be sadly abused also I wanted one that had not been modified in any way. Good luck in your search I kept on checking auto trader and eBay every evening and had the setting set to just over my budget as you can always haggle the price down. Saying that the guy wouldn't budge on his asking price £5.5k as there's was nothing wrong with car but I got 3 warranty 12 months mot a service and 12 aa cover thrown in.

Anything else you would Like to know let me know Chris happy to advise.

Paul

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Paul, that's very useful. I'm leaning towards the cup really and fortunately there are more cars for sale with it than without it. There's a few around here that I'd like to drive but not much I want to buy just yet.

Reactions: paul jennings
Good write up Paul and great to hear that you're enjoying the car so much...definitely sounds like you made the right choice in the end! They are head turning cars, and I do think a lot of that is down to rarity - I hardly see any round where I am, so people do tend to have a good look when they see one!

@Chris H72 Don't be put off by the non-Cup chassis, a set of lowering springs soon sorts it out, I still manage to have fun in mine and is a great compromise. It certainly doesn't worry me when I think about it's eventual sale.

Good write up Paul and great to hear that you're enjoying the car so much...definitely sounds like you made the right choice in the end! They are head turning cars, and I do think a lot of that is down to rarity - I hardly see any round where I am, so people do tend to have a good look when they see one!

In the short time Iv owned it Iv noticed two things first cars wanting to race you! Keep getting guys up my 'arse egging me on but I don't take the bait not worth it and normally ignore them and secondly anyone not a devoted petrol head seem to look at the car as if it's been modified that way i.e. The large arches alloys and brakes etc as many have not seen them before.

Paul

@Chris H72 Don't be put off by the non-Cup chassis, a set of lowering springs soon sorts it out, I still manage to have fun in mine and is a great compromise. It certainly doesn't worry me when I think about it's eventual sale.

Agree and I don't know how they justify the difference in price as the non cup chassis is still an awesome car to drive, I only noticed the slight and it is slight difference driving them back to back.
If a non cup had come with the right colour condition mileage etc I would have concided it and as you say if you want a firmer ride some good quility springs would have sorted it out.
I personally went for the cup pack as thinking of doing some track days in the future.

Paul

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
paul jennings Clio 200 Area 19