Vauxhall back in BTCC

Spent all day at work around people welding: avoiding Arc-Eye. Then i open this up :smile:

That paint-scheme is soooooo dated....

I really miss those old super touring days. The racing now is still good, but back then there seemed to be so much more banging and crashing, it was brilliant! Murray Walker doing the commentary as well, great stuff! So many more manufacturer teams too...Alfa Romeo, Volvo, Renault etc...

I still go and watch the BTCC at Brands Hatch but, like everyone has said, it's not a patch on 95/96!
I supported the Alfa 155's of Tarquini and Simoni (we don't mention Derek Warwick), it was big money in those days.
I babble on about this, but Will Hoy worked at my last place, he used to come up on reports I'd run, sadly showing as a death in service :worried: . I spoke to his manager and he said that he had a pretty relaxed arrangement back then with being a Surveyor and taking the odd Friday off to go and do his thing!

Attachments

• btcc-alfa-romeo.jpg
    btcc-alfa-romeo.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 10
I still go and watch the BTCC at Brands Hatch but, like everyone has said, it's not a patch on 95/96!
I supported the Alfa 155's of Tarquini and Simoni (we don't mention Derek Warwick), it was big money in those days.
I babble on about this, but Will Hoy worked at my last place, he used to come up on reports I'd run, sadly showing as a death in service :worried: . I spoke to his manager and he said that he had a pretty relaxed arrangement back then with being a Surveyor and taking the odd Friday off to go and do his thing!

I could do with an arrangement like that to sort my Fridays out......:smile:

Now THAT Alfa is an all action picture !!

I was a fan even further back than you....going back to the very late 1980's with Frank Sytner in the BMW M3 and Andy Rouse in the RS500 Cosworth along with Steve Soper etc etc .....now that was some epic racing. Or maybe the fact i had just bought a 950 Fiesta Popular as my first car made both of them and their cars seem absurdly quick.

Iconic commentary in those days too:

Not sure why i ever lost interest (Being a complete petrol-head). Im sure its still just as good now ?

Part of the problem for me is that the cars are plastered in sponsors and you can't really tell what model it is. All gone a bit Max Power, but I guess that speaks volumes about the financial state of motorsport as a whole nowadays.
The late 80's and 90's just own those halcyon days, they can't be replicated. I lost interest from about 2000 and really only got back into it about 3 years ago. The entries are close to 30 which almost spoils a circuit like Brands Hatch Indy. However, being close to the action is the main draw, the noise is almost as good, the Subaru's are literally ear splitting! I'll put a video up when I get home.

Reactions: nutnutwelshman