'V' and 'W' rating.?

as far as i know and what i work to is you cannot go lower than the original specification - so if it has "w" on you cannot "in theory" put "v" on as it is lower and therefore a potential accident waiting to happen

v = 149mph
w = 168

as for mixing then yes same or higher speed rating but not lower

What is the 87 for too.?
As in 87w.

What is the 197 standard tyre.? W or V.?

The 87 is the load index. This figure relates to the corner weight of the vehicle. The higher the number, the heavier the car the tyre will support. In other words - A higher number usually equals stiffer sidewalls.

Copied a statement from the net

89 is the load index H is the speed rating Speed ratings indicate the top speed under ideal conditions. Higher-rated tyres are usually made of softer rubber and will have shorter UTQG tread life. Here are a few of the more common speed ratings: R= 106, S=112, T=118, U=124, H=130, V=149, W=168, Y=186. Along with this speed rating, you have a load index which indicates the approximate weight the tyre can carry. Some of the more common load weights are as follows: 85 = 1,135 pounds, 86 = 1,168 pounds, 87 = 1,201 pounds, 88 = 1,235 pounds.

I had to put a V rated Conti Sport 3 on front-left as the previous tire was destroyed and couldn't find a W rated one

the original spare tire (W rated) was mounted on front-right

under hard braking now the front-left (V rated) tire always skids first

less grip maybe?

I had to put a V rated Conti Sport 3 on front-left as the previous tire was destroyed and couldn't find a W rated one

the original spare tire (W rated) was mounted on front-right

under hard braking now the front-left (V rated) tire always skids first

less grip maybe?

I think Rocko has the answer above, if it is a harder compound with a lower rating it will offer less grip. I may be stating the obvious here but you do have the same pressure in both tyres as this will affect it in a big way too.

"you quoted "

91v aswell just means the tyre wall inside can cope with a higher speed than a 87w "

a w can go faster than a V

hmm useful to have this all explained, especially as i ordered some new conti's last week and found myself lost in the world of tyres and numbers.
got the right ones though :smiley: