Upper/Lower strut brace rated

For those who seem to have alot of interest in this matter at the moment i found the time to upload these pics from a month ago so i could share my experiences with you all, hopefully help some of you out.

Items are the standard Ultra Racing Upper strut brace and Lower subframe cross brace, purchased and imported through Showoff Imports ( highly rated service ).

So booked an afternoon off at work and asked to borrow the ramp:
DSC02317.jpg

Nearly didnt happen, you dont get much closer than this:
DSC02337.jpg

DSC02338.jpg

DSC02339.jpg

Firstly lower cross brace. Easy to fit, simply support either the subframe from below ( lowered the car onto a hgv axle stand ) or if a car ramp is not avaliable i would use a support bar between each wing and suspend the engine. Remove the four bolts and this simply bolts on, its an excellent fit and requires minimal lining up:
DSC02324.jpg

DSC02323.jpg

I thought ground clearance could be an issue with this fitted, but its very slim once on and actually still sits higher than the engine belly cover, havent managed to knock it on the floor or bumps yet:
DSC02325.jpg

Upper brace. Removed the wipers and scuttle panel, then its a simple four bolt job on the struts. It is an absolute tight fit under there once again showing the exceptional fitment of this item:
DSC02329.jpg

DSC02330.jpg

And scuttle panel fitted:
DSC02333.jpg

Results:
The car definately feels bumpier but not firmer. It would be difficult to gauge any advantage as i have been using V3s for a couple years and R888s for a few months so my car already handled pretty well. Unfortunately if anything i would suggest they actually aid to unsettle the car on anything but a silky smooth road, definately makes the rear a little more unpredictable. A modification best suited to a track i would think. Hoepfully i'll get on track again next month so i can update on how it performs out there.

A couple cheeky shots too :wink::
DSC02340.jpg

DSC02343.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Excellent! Do you absolutely have to take the wipers off to fit the upper one?

Also with the lower one, what would happen if you undone the 4 bolts? Would everything just fall apart! Or is there time to just wack the lower on and bolt it up using normal jacking points for axle stands etc?

Thanks it's been a good read! Cleared up some bits, thought that it would be better for smoother roads etc, with both the rears fitted with both fronts hopefully this will complement even further on v1's. Got a couple of weeks left to wait before my lot arrives yet!

I wouldnt dare remove the rear subframe fixings without supporting it in one way or another, the whole lot may come tumbling down at worst, at best you'll have a pig of a time realigning the subframe ( which holds the weight of the engine/boxx above it ) with the chassis again.

I didnt even contemplate leaving the wipers on, why would you? Its a simple bolt and they just tug off the splines with a gently pull. Fitting them in the correct position is easy again, the wipe marks will give away their original position.

I wouldnt dare remove the rear subframe fixings without supporting it in one way or another, the whole lot may come tumbling down at worst, at best you'll have a pig of a time realigning the subframe ( which holds the weight of the engine/boxx above it ) with the chassis again.

I didnt even contemplate leaving the wipers on, why would you? Its a simple bolt and they just tug off the splines with a gently pull. Fitting them in the correct position is easy again, the wipe marks will give away their original position.

Thanks dude, I just dont know what actual part to support? I know that will sound stupid. Is it just a case of lowering the right bit onto the axle stands?

As for wipers that sounds awesome. I hadn't realised it was that easy tbh!

Many thanks!

Excuse my poor paint effort:
DSC02324-1.jpg

Even with adequete support you may find the subframe moves slightly out of position but can be realigned with a screwdriver through the hole.

Dont support the whole cars weight on the subframe, ideally you'll want jacks either side of the front end and two axle stands in the above position with a 1mm space between them and the subframe, this ensures there isnt too much weight on the subframe which could damage it. You can achieve the correct gap by lowering the jacks either side to position the car correctly.

There is already a black plate that connects the subframe to the chassis, simply refit this above the crossbrace.

Hope that makes sense, its easy to do it but not so easy to explain :worried:

If your local or willing to travel i'd be happy to fit it for you, for free of course.

Brilliant write up as ever Ben, TBH I was expecting it to be more positive from the claims they make on their website but I appreciate your honesty. As you have pointed out the v3's might already have helped with any chassis tweaks negating any improvements these had to offer.

Have you got any plans for the rear ARB?

Tbh, when I looked under coopers' car the front subframe is already pretty beefy and well re-inforced anyway.

If anything you should notice more difference with V3's as the peak chassis loading would be higher.

Car looks awesome ben and good write up. Been wondering about the upper brace for a few weeks. Looking forward to seeing it on Sunday :smile:

Great write up Ben.

I fitted the lower brace with the car on axle stands and that was quit an easy job.

I didin´t remove my wipers when fitting the upper strut brace, I couldn´t get them loose.

You car looks great :thumbup:.

Dont support the whole cars weight on the subframe, ideally you'll want jacks either side of the front end and two axle stands in the above position with a 1mm space between them and the subframe, this ensures there isnt too much weight on the subframe which could damage it. You can achieve the correct gap by lowering the jacks either side to position the car correctly.

Thanks for the explanation!

Just not sure i understand how if there is a 1mm gap between the subframe being supported and the axel stands.....how they are being supported at all?

I think what Ben is saying is support the car with a jack or axle stand on each side using the normal jacking points and then place additional axle stands under the subframe. So the weight of the car is on the first set of jacks/axle stands and only the weight of the subframe is on the second set.

I think what Ben is saying is support the car with a jack or axle stand on each side using the normal jacking points and then place additional axle stands under the subframe. So the weight of the car is on the first set of jacks/axle stands and only the weight of the subframe is on the second set.

This is what i had assumed :smile: Thanks

I'm glad someone could explain it easier than me, i was having trouble trying to make it clear lol. Its an easy job but i hate to to do How Tos on here in case someone misunderstands and messes their motor up because of me.

I'm glad someone could explain it easier than me, i was having trouble trying to make it clear lol. Its an easy job but i hate to to do How Tos on here in case someone misunderstands and messes their motor up because of me.

I understand what your saying tbh. But it does sound like an easy enough job now ive seen your awesome diagram and found out a little more about it! Looks to me as though its literally just support where needed on the diagram and then bolts off, brace on and bolts on again!

Yea it will all be clear once you're underneath. One thing to mention, there is a metal plate which is held on by those 4 bolts (Called subframe stiffener) which will come loose when you remove all 4 bolts. This is fairly heavy so be careful removing it whilst lying under the car.

What the thin small black member behind the 4 bolts? mine was paper thin and weighed as much as a tea cloth.

It will fall off as the 4 bolts hold it on, but think of it as a giant washer that fits between the cross brace and the car, it simply slips between the two.

Aslong as you support everything as previously stated nothing heavy will fall.