TYRES - What should I get next ?

Had a good go with them this morning on the way to work very low temps in the wet and they where spot on, especially on a slippery off camber rounderbout I could carry much more speed than my old conti 5’s

Reactions: papa and Pav
I use my ps4 all year round and theyre a great tyre! I had the pilot sport 2s previously and they were shite in comparison imo.
I may be using AD08rs in the summer.

Had a good go with them this morning on the way to work very low temps in the wet and they where spot on, especially on a slippery off camber rounderbout I could carry much more speed than my old conti 5’s

Yeah its situations like this I'm struggling with my winters.... Just 0 confidence, the PS4s just hold it steady.

i had a set of the Ps3's before that and the Ps4 felt way better.

this clio i've just got has rainsport 3's and i cant wait to get rid of them.

Reactions: papa
i had a set of the Ps3's before that and the Ps4 felt way better.

this clio i've just got has rainsport 3's and i cant wait to get rid of them.

I'm not the only one that's not a fan of PS3s then?

Reactions: STODGY
Had the PS4 's fitted y'day; I'm reserving judgement until I've covered a few miles as came from 888's, the sealant thing they come with, and the fitter told me he'd put 2.5bar (33psi) all round; said he does this with every car!

I mentioned all cars have different recommended pressures, his reply was I'd get better mileage on the tyres.
So the pressures; fronts were 39 & 34, rears were 36 and 34; may be I don't trust that garage so much now!
(I've gone with 33 fronts and 31 rears for now)

They only come with 7mm. Pretty sure the last set of PSS I had fitted, just over a year ago, had 8mm.
Seams this is now the norm http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Michelin/Pilot-Sport-4.htm (first review re tread)
(includes a good summary of tests won and some mixed reviews, includes a couple of beemer drivers who much preferred PSS after fitting PS4... must not wish I'd bought PSS...cheaper, more tread, massive reputation for being brilliant incl my own experience...but PS4 won all the tests and loads of good feedback on here, better all round performer and my main use is as a daily...ommm)

Last edited:
Had the PS4 's fitted y'day; I'm reserving judgement until I've covered a few miles as came from 888's, the sealant thing they come with, and the fitter told me he'd put 2.5bar (33psi) all round; said he does this with every car!

I mentioned all cars have different recommended pressures, his reply was I'd get better mileage on the tyres.
So the pressures; fronts were 39 & 34, rears were 36 and 34; may be I don't trust that garage so much now!
(I've gone with 33 fronts and 31 rears for now)

They only come with 7mm. Pretty sure the last set of PSS I had fitted, just over a year ago, had 8mm.
Seams this is now the norm http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Michelin/Pilot-Sport-4.htm (first review re tread)
(includes a good summary of tests won and some mixed reviews, includes a couple of beemer drivers who much preferred PSS after fitting PS4... must not wish I'd bought PSS...cheaper, more tread, massive reputation for being brilliant incl my own experience...but PS4 won all the tests and loads of good feedback on here, better all round performer and my main use is as a daily...ommm)

Super sports have now been superseded with Pilot sport 4 S - to make it more confusing!

Oh thats interesting. Wonder why that is...

Ty for info!

Think it's to do with more powerful modern cars having bigger wheels.

Am getting on better with the PS4 after a few miles, obviously not as grippy or responsive as the 888Rs, but drove over some standing water on motorway limit road with no dramas, whereas anything over 50 would be a bit sketchy on the Rs! The PSS are probably better in the dry and may be I'd of preferred those, but I've made my decision and am impressed with braking so far.

Reactions: Chris
Think it's to do with more powerful modern cars having bigger wheels.

Am getting on better with the PS4 after a few miles, obviously not as grippy or responsive as the 888Rs, but drove over some standing water on motorway limit road with no dramas, whereas anything over 50 would be a bit sketchy on the Rs! The PSS are probably better in the dry and may be I'd of preferred those, but I've made my decision and am impressed with braking so far.

Glad to hear you're getting on ok bud, big fan myself!

Always going to be ups and downs to each tyre, cost, dry performance, wet performance, noise, etc etc. Just about balancing the right ones!

If Michelin could make a tyre that has fantastic wet performance, grip levels of a semi slick, quiet as a mouse and for about £30 a corner that'd be ideal!

Reactions: Benno and papa
Glad to hear you're getting on ok bud, big fan myself!

Always going to be ups and downs to each tyre, cost, dry performance, wet performance, noise, etc etc. Just about balancing the right ones!

If Michelin could make a tyre that has fantastic wet performance, grip levels of a semi slick, quiet as a mouse and for about £30 a corner that'd be ideal!

Haha! Good man Chris :smile:

Reckon I'd get PSS if made decision again now but the PS4 will do me right through all seasons

Reactions: Chris
Quick update to say I'm very impressed with the PS4's!

30psi all round & performing very well; now scrubbed in & learning how to drive the Gripper'd Clio properly :smile:

Reactions: peter and Big Ben