type r vs clio 200

my vts used to to pan type rs, although it was heavily modified.

i would of thought a clio 197 / 200 would of beaten a type r easy though

it does gouldy if driven properly and its not poorly sick like that 177 at fly 1 . . . . .

a few simple mods will have you hanging off the bumpers of 325i and porsche boxters

I just dont see BMW as a drivers car anymore - they sell far too many rep mobiles to be taken seriously imo. Obviously there is the M Division whic is the exception to the rule but those abount for a small percentage. The problem with a 123d is the big cloud of smoke following you around. My unc has a 330d and the 197 is the same in a straight line from a standing start but he will happily concede once the BM reaches a corner it cannot keep up. All I can say is I enjoy driving my car - he doesn't...

I just dont see BMW as a drivers car anymore - they sell far too many rep mobiles to be taken seriously imo. Obviously there is the M Division whic is the exception to the rule but those abount for a small percentage. The problem with a 123d is the big cloud of smoke following you around. My unc has a 330d and the 197 is the same in a straight line from a standing start but he will happily concede once the BM reaches a corner it cannot keep up. All I can say is I enjoy driving my car - he doesn't...

the 123d doesnt give off a single puff of smoke and will destroy a 197 in any gear. I had it done to me in Msport coupe version. Trust me...they do handle!

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/RoadTestsData/Renault-Clio-2.0-Renaultsport-197/221463/

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/RoadTestsData/BMW-1-Series-123d-M-Sport/229175/

Last edited:
Very true, especially if they have been remapped. My 260BHP Megane struggles to pull on them.

That said, I'd much rather have a 200 :smile:

As for the FN2 - sod all difference in the speed. Handling - Clio wins easily. The FN2 is a big letdown in this respect, unless you spend some money at ABP in Crewe. Or buy the FD2 (Jap Import)

Raced my friends new ctr and from 0-110 the clio is the faster car, after that the civic comes crawling back very slowly, both cars standard. Now iv done a few tweeks i think the clio should be quicker all the way.

back to the original question... ahem :smile:
Clio easy cos the Type R is ugly and I don't think the handling's meant to be great on them. done. :thumbup1:

I've recently changed from a 98 DC2 Uk Integra type R to a 200 cup (Well I say changed, but I still actually have both. Working on selling the teg).

In terms of driving pleasure its pretty evenly matched. Performance figures are very similar. The DC2 feels faster due to the noise and they way vtec noticably kicks in. In terms of handling I prefer the Clio, its seems more chuckable and very planted.

The Recaros in the teg are a snugger fit, so better for a short run but the Clios are more comfortable overall.

The reason I changed was because I wanted a car that didn't require regular TLC. I love my DC2 and if Honda still made them I'd have bought one new without a second thought. Its just getting a bit old, and I don't have the time or patience to give it the care it requires. The newer type Rs just don't do it for me. The reason I love the DC2 is because its pretty much about pure driving pleasure. No compromises. No sound deadening. No unnecessary weight. Perfect gearchange, excellent driving position. Each new type R seems to lose a little of this.

The Clio is along the same lines (especially the cup) yet its a more civilised city car, which is where I do most of my driving but its still great fun on track and B roads. Plus I can fit my mountain bike in the back :smile:

Ideally I'd have two cars. A full fat 200 with cup pack for everyday driving and then a really focused drivers car like a caterham for fun :smile:

If we are comparing new cars, then I'd have a clio over the latest civic type R any day. In my opinion the current civic isn't worth another £5-6k more.

Some good comments here (I've previously owned most of the hot Honda range, stopping at NSX) :smile:

the 123d doesnt give off a single puff of smoke and will destroy a 197 in any gear. I had it done to me in Msport coupe version. Trust me...they do handle!

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/RoadTestsData/Renault-Clio-2.0-Renaultsport-197/221463/

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/RoadTestsData/BMW-1-Series-123d-M-Sport/229175/

The one you had wasn't a stock 123d. Stock one isn't that fast on straight and anything after 100km/h Clio will eat it for breakfast.

It just simply didnt handle anywhere close to a Clio. However, the 123d I drove was a hatch so I will give you the benefit of doubt. :wink:

i test drove a trype r final edition before i bought the 197 and i couldnt believe how bad it was

if you think the clio has no mid range at least it is well geared. the civic was rubbish off the bottom. my mrs 1.6 zetec is quicker up until the civic hits 7k, then you get a shove and its time to change gear

theyre a total gimick and i cant see how theyre quick in the real world.

clio any day for me.

i got a test drive in my mates new type r mugen 200. part from the cosmetics its basicully a type r chamionship white ( limited slip diff), was good car sounds great, looks nice, no torque though but the car has only got 1025 miles on at the mo. still think my 200 has the edge ...just