Turbo Clio 200 prices

As a 197/200 owner, do you THINK you would buy a 200T based on current knowledge?

• Total voters
This is by far the most pointless post I've read in a very long time...

?????? So let me get it right....what you say is that the owners of the first 197s are probably not in a financial position to buy a £20k car? No comments...

Please read the poll. It doesn't say ''can you afford to buy the new clio sport'' does it? Last time I checked it was more of a...''would you buy the new clio sport''? 20-22k is a lot of money for a clio my friend, but I guess I'm wasting my time here, especially when I'm quoting someone who paid £20+k for a 200..

Not what I ment at all. I was just a thought. I personally don't see what's wrong with it .... But at this time it's all looks as I've not driven one .

Just because someone paid 20k for a car does not mean they don't wish they had not :smile:

No from me. At the moment.

Getrag 'box and contorversial but highly tunable engine sound good.

Lack of Brembo's, too many doors for my liking (although it's styled well), and not enough solid performance details to make a proper judgement at the moment. I understand the Discs are meant to be bigger on this (330mm) and it's meant to be a little lighter than the 197/200 according to some sources, so no doubt they'll perform well. But I'd rather pay a bit more and have some nice meaty Brembo's behind the wheels. If and when it does a lap of Bedford West and obliterates the time of the 200 then the lack of Brembo's might then pale into insignificance for me.

The money/affordability thing? Well, I'd say at least 85% of the cars on here are on HP or PCP deals and so affordability comes down to a monthly payment and not having £20,000 sat in the bank really doesn't it? Of the other 15% of cars on here, I'd say all but about 3% of them will have been on a finance arrangement at some point. Very few people buy new cars outright. Saying that, with some money due my way and being over the hill of my HP deal, when these go on sale in the summer then I could be tempted. I doubt it, but never say never. But like Foxspeed says, if you had £20,000 to spend (cash or finance), would you really spend it on a Clio!?!

When looking for the Clio, I tested all the competition and just didn't like them, I say all of them, I didnt test the Mini as I thought it was a bag of **** and I didn't like it.

The Clio was the stand out car so my buying decision wasn't based upon cost, it, was based upon what I wanted. I was fortunate enough to get a 2k discount on top of using an old motor I had for scrappage so in the end I got a 19.5k car for 15.5k.. I would've happily paid 19.5k for it as thats what it was worth to me.

Unlike a lot of people I didn't go for finance or pcp but purchased the car for cash, I can safely say I for one would not be parting any money for a 5 door sell out Clio, I don't care if its quicker or got more gadgets, I just don't like it, full stop.

What I can't understand is the fact that most people keep talking about brembos. All you have is set of £400 calipers on the 197/200's with standard straight vein solid discs, it's hardly the pinnacle of braking performance! lol

As for the new Clio I like it, but having a proper diff and a bit more torque would be my next move, ie. the Megane 250 Cup.

Would very much like to see what the Clios gearbox is like though. Although I'd be seriously worried as it's Renault. The VW DSG is tried and tested.

Do agree that most people on here wont buy, alot seem to try to discredit the 200 as it's higher secondhand value.

What I can't understand is the fact that most people keep talking about brembos. All you have is set of £400 calipers on the 197/200's with standard straight vein solid discs, it's hardly the pinnacle of braking performance! lol

As for the new Clio I like it, but having a proper diff and a bit more torque would be my next move, ie. the Megane 250 Cup.

Would very much like to see what the Clios gearbox is like though. Although I'd be seriously worried as it's Renault. The VW DSG is tried and tested.

I've seen the old mk2s set pads on fire after a single lap and that's a lighter car, it's important for those of us who use them on the track because the Brembo (or similar) caliper is up to the job.

As for the VW DSG, yes tried and tested as well potentially a financial minefield outside of warranty. It's not a renault gearbox though, it's a getrag so no cheese used in it's manufacture.

Gearbox is apparently being made by Getrag so should be more than capable really. The VAG unit isn't as good or as reliable as many like to think, it's not without fault although it is nice and smooth when it's working properly...

Brembo's look better and more pots is usually a good thing!!! :smiley:

*EDIT*

Tom beat me to it!!! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Gearbox is apparently being made by Getrag so should be more than capable really. The VAG unit isn't as good or as reliable as many like to think, it's not without fault although it is nice and smooth when it's working properly...

Brembo's look better and more pots is usually a good thing!!! :smiley:

*EDIT*

Tom beat me to it!!! :thumbup:

lol, more pots. Well they're 4 piston calipers. Lots of 4x4's have 4 piston calipers as well. I've had a proper Alcon Extreme kit on a previous car and whilst the brembo's may be ok, they're not anything more than a set of calipers on a standard road brake set-up.

We'll see on the gearbox front, I genuinely hope it's good tbh!

lol, more pots. Well they're 4 piston calipers. Lots of 4x4's have 4 piston calipers as well. I've had a proper Alcon Extreme kit on a previous car and whilst the brembo's may be ok, they're not anything more than a set of calipers on a standard road brake set-up.

We'll see on the gearbox front, I genuinely hope it's good tbh!

they are also a lot lighter than 4x4 calipers....and will be lighter than the lumps of iron on the new rs!!!

I've seen the old mk2s set pads on fire after a single lap and that's a lighter car, it's important for those of us who use them on the track because the Brembo (or similar) caliper is up to the job.

As for the VW DSG, yes tried and tested as well potentially a financial minefield outside of warranty. It's not a renault gearbox though, it's a getrag so no cheese used in it's manufacture.

The caliper alone did not cause the fire. ...

Well the Troll level of this thread has gone up significantly in the last page and a half.

I'll withhold the rest of my comment. :coffee:

Well the Troll level of this thread has gone up significantly in the last page and a half.

I'll withhold the rest of my comment. :coffee:

It was all well behaved until some numpty added the poll...

Pictures never did the 200 justice for most when it came out and the only negative you usually hear to date is the ugly front end. Until the car had been out a few months then a lot of the indecisive people made their mind up when they seen it in the flesh.

The new RS will have the same initial hit on people until its out on the road and seen in many colors and in the flesh. Pictures may not do this car justice so i am not having a comment until i have seen one. 22k seems a fair price to me but as we all know the dealers usually knock a few k off for the individuals who know how to haggle. I reckon one could be had for circa 20k.

Only if you can afford one apparently :wink: :smiley:

I can afford 3, but I'm going to get a couple of Megs too, just in case I don't like the car/colours............................ Ye, I wish!!!!!!!!

I have voted anyway, without looking at the finance details I'm not sure if I could afford one. Possibly. Possibly not!