Transferring files to new laptop.?

jase

Founder
Platinum Member
What's the quickest, best and easiest way to transfer all files from pc to new laptop.?
Mainly...
iTunes, Photos and a few word files.
???

Connect them to the same network, preferably via wired connections and setup a shared folder on the laptop to drop the files into. Then just drag the files into the shared folder from the desktop.

There are loads of ways but I think that's the simplest.

Come off it Tom you know I know jack about computers :wink:

How do I do a network.?

Easiest probably USB stick, can get big ones cheap now
Depends on how big your files are/ itunes library is - make sure you do a backup before you copy anything. As itunes can be a pain sometimes.

External hard drive is a worthwhile investment, I have one with photos movies and music backed up, also means when I am away I can take that as my laptop has a tiny tiny hard drive.

Other ways could include, network copy, assorment of cables, crossover or USB.

Depending on what OS you have http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/products/features/windows-easy-transfer might be helpful

Bluetooth? I send most of my files between phones and laptops using it, works well.

Easiest and cheapest is how Tom put it to be honest Jase. Here's a link from MS showing you the simple way to do it (presuming your using windows 7, at a guess if it's a new machine at least one of the will be, and you only need to do it one way).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/share-files-with-someone

Once you have that setup to be shared, you should be able to get to the public folder by hitting Start (windows logo) then put \\'your pc name goes here' in to to machine without the shared folder. From there you should get a new window containing the shared folder. Drag and drop them in there.

*to find your pc name just press the start button and right click the 'my computer'/'computer' bit and press preferences. Or hit the windows key and type in 'system' and press enter.

^^that should get you on your way. Any trouble gimme a shout, that stuffs from memory (I'm on my iPad at the minute) and does depend on your OS so I might have balls'd some bits up haha.

Make sure your plugged in with an Ethernet cable in to your hub too (both machines), it'll more than double the speed the files will transfer at.

^^ it'll transfer all your files in no time, leaving you loads of time to sit around being smug about the fact your a mac owner...

As everyone said. Usb / external drive.

Or will's option.

Or upload it to a cloud based service and then download to the laptop...

Jase

If you have a router for your internet just plug both machines into the router using network cables and bobs your uncle theyre on the same network.

USB is ok but I always find USB sticks very slow when copying multiple small files.

cheers tom

spoke to someone at work today and he said this too.

i do have a router yes, and a spare either cable.

what else do i need to do and to which.? pc or laptop.?

Similar Thread Suggestions