Track day camera

iAndy

Platinum Member
Looking for a camera to mount in car for trackday, would like one that does overlay and it has to be really simple to wire up and use as am thick and old. Gonna mount it to roll cage so should be easy to do that part :smile:

Any suggestions to help or experiences of what to avoid?

will that do the overlay thing with speed etc? The OBD port on car is exposed so no problem if its plugging into there just need to know how to use it.

Best two on market are GoPro and DriftCam. Both used for extreme sports and both have amzing picture quality along with being very robust!

the GoPro probaly has a slightly better range of mounts as well for what you want. Check out http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/

Does that need jailbreaking thou?

Yes and no.

no in that the app works out of the box and shows track, straingt names/speed, corner names/speed, G's, speed and time (inc sectors) as you edit it all on the phone.

you can then either buy an apple signed bluetooth device (around £100 when i looked) or i jailbreaked mine and added a £4 app (it can be had free :wink: ) which allows me to use a £12 reader to bleutooth revs, gears and throttle position.

so all in all it cost me £25 and does the job.

[YOUTUBE]327qP5Tyfy4[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say if cost isn't an issue go pro is the best.

You can still use Harry's laptimer to overlay into a go pro.

I just think for £25 all in Harry's lap timer is epic.

I have to say if cost isn't an issue go pro is the best.

You can still use Harry's laptimer to overlay into a go pro.

I just think for £25 all in Harry's lap timer is epic.

Which bluetooth reader do you use with the iPhone ?

Ive got Harrys Lap Timer and a mount for my phone so the OBD reader is all thats missing.

As already said, if you have the budget get a Go Pro mate. Borrowed a friends's HD Hero 2 for a track day last month and had a load of fun with it! Now got to resist buying one myself...

No its not, does it matter for an OBD2 reader ?

For the expensive ones no. GoPoint, OBDLink Scan Tool, PLX Kiwi 2 wifi all work with apple

for a cheap £10-£15 one you need to jailbreak and open the bluetooth up to none apple approved ones.

Jailbreaking is not hard and is available on ALL iphone as of today upto 6.1. Once it is done you add source code via web addresses and then download programs via that.

ITs very easy once you know how but confusing at first.

Just to point out most suction mounts are nt allowed on UK track days

"Fixed mounts only"

This is dependent on track and marshals view of solid mount

I'm going for the gopro hero 3 silver edition. Not stupid money like the black edition but still, loads better than gopro hero 2, all that for around £200. win IMO

I'm going for the gopro hero 3 silver edition. Not stupid money like the black edition but still, loads better than gopro hero 2, all that for around £200. win IMO

Loads better than a two .... For you're average joe will notice no difference and be unable to edit hig res video from 3 on most pc's of old

Just to point out most suction mounts are nt allowed on UK track days

"Fixed mounts only"

This is dependent on track and marshals view of solid mount

OP mentions mount onto roll cage.

I run a HD Hero 1! Had it over 2 years now and for me its good enough not to bother buying a later one. If you buy one now you'll still be impressed with it in years to come.

The accessory range has got a lot better with new ones as well with addition of screens and wifi attachments etc.

Similar Thread Suggestions