Top rated 197 tyres

Use your eye and head to pick a tyre the EU tyre labels are not independently tested the manufacturer/importer tests them and are not verified, that's why crap super cheap tyres seem so good on paper we know now about the emissions scandals the wet gip test is from 50mph to 12mph not motorway speed to a full stop. The noise and fuel efficiency figures I would totally ignore as they are brand new tyres and you can see some tread pattern cuts only go down the first couple of mm.

EU Tyre Label: How the tyres are tested

Since June 2012, tyre manufacturers have been required to provide data in relation to the performance of their tyres through testing.

Due to the sheer vast number of tyre models, it was decided that a centralised EU tyre testing facility would be unmanageable and unproductive. Therefore, tyre label testing is self-certified using specific EU standardised methods that every test must adhere to.

Testing Rolling Resistance
A tyre is mounted to a specially designed two-metre drum. It is then rotated with a defined load and pressure.

The test engineers have the torque required to rotate the drum before the tyre is fitted, so they are able to calculate the torque of the tyre by subtracting the new level required when the tyre is mounted against the level when it is not.

It is through calculating the difference of the drum's torque with or without the tyre that they can record what is known as the 'Rolling Resistance Coefficient'. This is what is used to work out the correct grading for the new tyre label.

Testing Wet Grip
There are two tests that engineers are required to carry out to come up with the wet grip rating.

First of all they need to carry out a wet braking test. This measures the performance of a tyre when a vehicle is braking on a wet surface. The distance that the car travels when slowing from 50mph to 12mph is recorded.

They also carry out what is known as a skid trailer test. This calculates the friction between the tyre and the road surface. For the tests to be valid, it must take place when the vehicle is travelling at 40mph.

Once they have both results, they combine them to create the Wet Grip Index (WGI) - this shows the percentage of improved ability compared with an independent reference tyre.

Testing Noise Emission
This test is done to find out the external noise of a tyre in decibels (dB).

The actual test consists of a microphone being set up on the edge of a track to measure the sound level of a test vehicle - the mircophone is required to be 7.5m from the centre of the track at sit at 1.2m above the ground. When passing, the vehicle must be travelling at 50 mph with the engine turned off for the test to be valid.

Reactions: Jimmy
Mi
Use your eye and head to pick a tyre the EU tyre labels are not independently tested the manufacturer/importer tests them and are not verified, that's why crap super cheap tyres seem so good on paper we know now about the emissions scandals the wet gip test is from 50mph to 12mph not motorway speed to a full stop. The noise and fuel efficiency figures I would totally ignore as they are brand new tyres and you can see some tread pattern cuts only go down the first couple of mm.

EU Tyre Label: How the tyres are tested

Since June 2012, tyre manufacturers have been required to provide data in relation to the performance of their tyres through testing.

Due to the sheer vast number of tyre models, it was decided that a centralised EU tyre testing facility would be unmanageable and unproductive. Therefore, tyre label testing is self-certified using specific EU standardised methods that every test must adhere to.

Testing Rolling Resistance
A tyre is mounted to a specially designed two-metre drum. It is then rotated with a defined load and pressure.

The test engineers have the torque required to rotate the drum before the tyre is fitted, so they are able to calculate the torque of the tyre by subtracting the new level required when the tyre is mounted against the level when it is not.

It is through calculating the difference of the drum's torque with or without the tyre that they can record what is known as the 'Rolling Resistance Coefficient'. This is what is used to work out the correct grading for the new tyre label.

Testing Wet Grip
There are two tests that engineers are required to carry out to come up with the wet grip rating.

First of all they need to carry out a wet braking test. This measures the performance of a tyre when a vehicle is braking on a wet surface. The distance that the car travels when slowing from 50mph to 12mph is recorded.

They also carry out what is known as a skid trailer test. This calculates the friction between the tyre and the road surface. For the tests to be valid, it must take place when the vehicle is travelling at 40mph.

Once they have both results, they combine them to create the Wet Grip Index (WGI) - this shows the percentage of improved ability compared with an independent reference tyre.

Testing Noise Emission
This test is done to find out the external noise of a tyre in decibels (dB).

The actual test consists of a microphone being set up on the edge of a track to measure the sound level of a test vehicle - the mircophone is required to be 7.5m from the centre of the track at sit at 1.2m above the ground. When passing, the vehicle must be travelling at 50 mph with the engine turned off for the test to be valid.
minefield!!

I will not be using Goodyear's again with the slight bit of snow they were crap no bite in the pattern just three straight strips never got stuck like it before I'll be using Proxy type angular pattern that has some bite and avoiding the straight pattern no matter what the make.
upload_2017-3-9_23-46-33.png
upload_2017-3-9_23-49-5.png
Might not be as good in clearing standing water but I've done almost 200,000 miles on these on a 172 even in the 2010 heavy snow, flooded roads, and even up the side of the road when available in emergency's, much cheaper than the Goodyear's and was never stuck. The continentals that came in the 172 did not have a square enough edge and the turn in suffered, on the 16V Clio I used BF Goodrich profilers they were class but they stopped making that size and had tyre insurance with them punctures fixed for free and if damaged measured the tread depth and discounted the next set.

I will not be using Goodyear's again with the slight bit of snow they were crap no bite in the pattern just three straight strips never got stuck like it before I'll be using Proxy type angular pattern that has some bite and avoiding the straight pattern no matter what the make.
View attachment 17340
View attachment 17341
Might not be as good in clearing standing water but I've done almost 200,000 miles on these on a 172 even in the 2010 heavy snow, flooded roads, and even up the side of the road when available in emergency's, much cheaper than the Goodyear's and was never stuck. The continentals that came in the 172 did not have a square enough edge and the turn in suffered, on the 16V Clio I used BF Goodrich profilers they were class but they stopped making that size and had tyre insurance with them punctures fixed for free and if damaged measured the tread depth and discounted the next set.
Snow? What the hell is that? Lol.rain now that I get

Reactions: Micah
I'm on my second set of Kumho Ecsta Le Sport, and I can't fault them. I've had Goodyear, Bridgestone, Toyo, Contis, and the Kumhos are right up there. Even putting 285 lb/ft through them they perform really well, wet or dry. I'm so impressed that I've bought the Kumho semi-slicks, £66 per tyre.