Tom's Track Car - BMW E46 -Engine Number 3

Car looks great on track Tom, both photos and video. 4 hours is one hell of a trek for a track day too, dedicated!

Thanks Ben. There was a good group of 7 of us down there in 4 cars so worth the trip, always good to go to different tracks and mix it up as well! Snetterton is well worth the trip.

good to see you went for the DS1.11 in the end. brilliant track pad for our cars.

Yes. Was worried about the 3000's ruining the new discs. Got the 1.11's for a price i was really happy with so went with a set of those. Have to say they are amazing. I'm known for late braking but I was pushing it later and later every time.

the car looks very good Tom..very fast and stable in the corners..
im not sure what your next step is but if I can be a bit of help,get a diff (LSD Qulife etc)....any type I guess but it would help you even more when turning in...i love mine now..its like something unnatural when you are going into a bend..

Thanks Pav. Car it certainly a lot more planted and smoother through the corners which enables you to push on a lot more and carry more speed through the corners. Eventually I will be fitted a Quaife in there when time and money enables.

Got a busy month ahead now with Remapping this weekend as well as two more track days coming up at a Anglesey, one for the Renault Sport day and the Circuit days event on the Bank Holiday.

Reactions: Sean197 and Pav
I always enjoy your track vids Tom..lookes like you and Chris had a blast again..so great to see you 2 chasing each other..cars performed ok??

Reactions: tombate911
I always enjoy your track vids Tom..lookes like you and Chris had a blast again..so great to see you 2 chasing each other..cars performed ok??

Thanks for the compliments. Had a great time on track once again at Snetterton, Car performed flawlessly which was a relief due to the fact so much had been swapped, fixed, changed and upgraded before the track day.

Love the updates Tom. As for the diff, speak to Yainni about the Gripper. He may change your mind on the Quaife!

Thanks, I was originally all for the Gripper. But the more I looked into it the smoother day to day running of the quaife for general driving is swaying me that way. Tonight I took to car out and did 40 miles through the A roads in the sun and can't imagine it being quite as pleasant with the gripper from what I've seen with plated diffs. My friends just fitted a Quaife so will see what that car feels like at Anglesey at the end of May. I like the fact though you can hardly hear it, only when going from forward to reverse and when reversing.

Update
I uploaded the videos when they went onto youtube but didn't have time to write down the comments.

So as a few people knew I had the car booked in at EFI for 12pm on Saturday for Tuning. Got there had a chat with Chris and the job he had started in the morning had ran into a few issues and was going to overrun. I had keep all saturday free for the visit anyway so went off to get something to eat with friends for a hour while he finished mapping the kit car without any pressure from waiting customers. When we got back he was just finishing up and then ready to put the Clio onto the Dyno.
Had a chat about the cars current set up, what was changed, what the problems were, what fuel I run the car on (99Ron) and talked him through what had been changed, too much to list here, while he was strapping it down onto the Dyno, I was expecting inital pull of something in the mid 180's as I know this dyno reads very well compared with others. If i remember correctly the first pull was 193bhp which I was really happy with to start with and it was running reasonable well on the standard map with the breathing mods which had been done.
Chris set about putting on a map from a very similar spec'd car and started the process of live tuning the ECU with a wide range of dyno driving simulating a range of condition, Partial throttle, 50% throttle and full throttle driving on the dyno all at different points in the rev range. Then started doing some more full dyno runs and looking at the AFR and the power/torque curves. He then went back and changed the map and repeated the cycle over and over again for about 2 hours making fine adjustments to the map and at the same time lifted the rev limiter to 7750.

I've got a graph of the final dyno graph but need to contact him for the graph with both the before and after on as I forgot to check on my way out. Really happy with the shape on the graphs and the figures. 201.5bhp and a really flat 160ftlb across the rev range. The only thing that did come out of it was the VVT was responding very slow at 2800RPM, but was fine else where. Got a few things he has suggested I try which will just help smoothen out the driving of it at that rev point.

34215281135_4811b34825_c.jpg

No photos yet, but have been very productive with a few late nights recently.

Stripped both Hub assemblies to inspect the quality of the lower swivel Hubs.
Replaced drop links
Replaced rotation links
Replaced driver side track rod.
New rose joint in the Gaz Top mount.
Replaced the single spring for shorter spring and helper.
Gave the interior a good clean and wash including the steering wheel and belts.
Got it booked in for a proper full alightment set up on Thursday before loading up for the Renault Sport Day at Anglesey on Saturday.

Reactions: Sean197
The flatness of that torque curve is nothing short of awesome Tom.

That will be driving fantastic now (Especially with the rest of the 'suspension overhaul').....really impressive graph that.

Have a great day Saturday and stay safe.

The gripper can be specced to behave similar to a Quaife for reference. I know because I supply and fit them. Lol! I'm the reason why the gripper cw&p kit is now a straight forward fit job in a jc5 as well.

The more aggressive you have it set up, the more frequent the requirement for it to be serviced. With the new style plates, they're also a lot quieter than before. If you have it set to be aggressive though, they still sound broken! Lol

Everyone's talking diff's at the moment, it's as if you knew what I was up to without me even posting about it. I've acquired a spare box with a crunch in 3rd and 4th. Going to look at stripping it down, rebuilding to and putting it in my car to Learn how to rebuild gear boxes. Then if that goes to plan and works. I'll then strip my box off and rebuild it with a diff, rather fit the diff into my lower miles box that doesn't have any crunches to start with and hopefully there for less wear in the box.

The flatness of that torque curve is nothing short of awesome Tom.

That will be driving fantastic now (Especially with the rest of the 'suspension overhaul').....really impressive graph that.

Have a great day Saturday and stay safe.

Thanks the torque curve really is great for the 200, so flat and usable now, car feels slower because of how smooth it is to drive when you start to put the power down, rather than holding on till later in the rev's, was commented how well the car was breathing with the mods done.

Another graph from EFI from one of the many runs but this one gives more a direct back to back comparison between before and after, this wasn't the final run on the dyno but it gives a good indication of the changes.

34046457160_f1438941b5_c.jpg

Another update. Ordered some new tyres in 225/45/17, slightly wider and cheaper too, wont be fitting these until after the track day on Sunday. But took two wheels to be balanced ready for the track day on Saturday.

Got the car booked in for a full 4 wheel alignment tomorrow while i'm at work, be interesting to see what the new set up is like, much more camber going on.

Next lot of track day action.
If anyone is around Saturday I am at Anglesey with the Renault sport day if anyone fancies popping down while the weather is forecast good.

34046440620_2e4bfa11b5_c.jpg

Reactions: peter
ok thanks..was considering going just to watch you guys...probably wont be able to make it..have a great time :thumb:

great vid..love the way these are so competitive..what software did you use to edit it Tom??