Tom's Track Car - BMW E46 -Engine Number 3

Got a track day booked with a couple of members on here for the 12th Nov at Oulton Park. I thought it was time I did a little bit of track day prep. Most of the big things were ironed out after the last track outing but here's a few more little things.

Little fluid change and a top up. Brake fluid replaced after boiling it on track last time.
30667802275_dfb3b2dbfb_z.jpg

Got the car inside on some stands to look at the state of the exhaust, it's been tweaked and messed with far too many times now!
30551151802_8b7f0c1e1d_z.jpg

Replaced the standard system with a Milltek Resonated system with a Decat pipe, also running a Toyo Manifold on the Engine too! Sounds amazing now, shame I can't give it a road test as the car currently has no MOT.

On a side note for the reason I've also purchased a Brian James trailer 2,600kg for towing the car to track days and let me utilise the van for weekends away. Will post up a photo when I get the car on there at some point.

30551151202_cc70bb1852_z.jpg

Blimey some dedication buying a trailer for her!

I've got the T5 Camper van at well so it's handy to be able to tow to track days, sleep over the night before or stay the night after. I've booked to do Snetterton in December which is 5 hours drive for me. Oulton Park's only 40 minutes from my door though.

Bet the exhaust has livened up the sound a bit !!!

Certainly has mate! That combination sounds a treat! Cant wait to try it out on the open road at some point or on track, which ever comes first. Been trying Decat Pipes and Silencer deletes but nothing sounds quite like a proper exhaust system. I went for the Resonated version as I didn't like the Raspy sound of the silencer delete on the standard system.

Certainly has mate! That combination sounds a treat! Cant wait to try it out on the open road at some point or on track, which ever comes first. Been trying Decat Pipes and Silencer deletes but nothing sounds quite like a proper exhaust system. I went for the Resonated version as I didn't like the Raspy sound of the silencer delete on the standard system.

Know what you mean. My Toyo with Scorpion resonated and cat delete is 'meaty' rather than swarm of angry bees. Sure yours is the same. Bet you looking forward to winding that up proper.....

Considering a remap ?

Know what you mean. My Toyo with Scorpion resonated and cat delete is 'meaty' rather than swarm of angry bees. Sure yours is the same. Bet you looking forward to winding that up proper.....

Considering a remap ?

I did fancy trying the Resonated Scorpion to pair with the Toyo mani but never heard one in real life, and couldn't make my mind up on the videos i'd seen. When i get a chance i'd like to see one in person.

@sevenfourate Yes I'm getting closed to a remap. but trying to plan and save up for how I'm going to get past the 200bhp NA barrier. Need to sort out the intake ideas first, then maybe press on and get the intake and head ported and matched. But part of my just wants to intake and remap it then sort out the gearbox, roll cage and LSD.

Last edited:
Reactions: sevenfourate
With a remap now: your likely to be right around that figure ! Literally depends on the rollers / the mapper / the day (I'm on 199.8 with Engine Dynamics remap]. I'e seen a few lower with similar intake / exhaust mods....and some as high as 205 oddd.

If your "determined" to beat the 200 barrier - you may need to go the intake / porting and polishing route.

For a track car you'd surely be spending money on anything but another "5 bhp" though. Brakes, suspension, lightening the weight, better rubber etc would all be more beneficial i'd have thought..... ?

Good luck whatever !

If your "determined" to beat the 200 barrier - you may need to go the intake / porting and polishing route.

For a track car you'd surely be spending money on anything but another "5 bhp" though. Brakes, suspension, lightening the weight, better rubber etc would all be more beneficial i'd have thought..... ?

Good luck whatever !

Yeah I agreed. I need to decide on the intake set up for the car whether I stay panel or invest in an intake set up. Open to opinions on that at the moment.

Handling wise I've started polybushing all engine mounts. Anti roll bar mounts
Solid top mounts
2.2 degrees of camber with more caster.
Semi slick track tyres
Dedicated rainsport wet tyres too.

Next on the list are

Will replace the wishbone bushes for poly ones.
Cage with a view to running slick tyres.
Already running semi slicks on track.
LSD and rebuild the gearbox. (Plan to do this myself)
Gaz coilovers

Reactions: Sean197
Track rubber sorted the next weekend.

4 RSR's fitted to the track wheels after being repainted in 2K Gloss black, dedicated track semi slick tyres.
2 Rainsports fitted to the road wheels too in case the weather is wet, I've already got a set fitted on the car.

Of course I've taken my paint pen to them all and got them labeled up.

30644378682_cd2f513ff6_z.jpg

Reactions: sevenfourate
Track rubber sorted the next weekend.

4 RSR's fitted to the track wheels after being repainted in 2K Gloss black, dedicated track semi slick tyres.
2 Rainsports fitted to the road wheels too in case the weather is wet, I've already got a set fitted on the car.

Of course I've taken my paint pen to them all and got them labeled up.

30644378682_cd2f513ff6_z.jpg
Track tyres in the living room!!!:tearsofjoy:

I'm going to try this at my house and blame it on you...ha

Reactions: tombate911
hope we wont need the wet set next saturday :excited:

Fingers crossed. I've had the wet's fitted today anyway so I'm prepared with them and secretly looking forward to running them if it's wet. Track prep started tonight by getting everything together. Check the car over tomorrow and load everything up Friday.

So today, I was at Oulton Park with @Pav and a few others.

A friend of mine came down who's main hobby is photography and took the following photo. here's a taste of whats to come.

Loving the new set up with Caster and Camber top mounts from Comp Brake.
Also able to sort anyone out a set if they're interested.

30852453431_5c8bd756e0_c.jpg
Image copyright - Alan Mason.

if it wasnt for the rain it would have been awesome..thanks for making my bday special..Thanks to you and Chris i had a great day..glad to meet your friends and Chris's family..hope we get to do more days like today in the future..:thumb:

Reactions: tombate911
What a great picture!
Maybe good on a canvas of some sort.
Let me no next time you all go up. Maybe not to put my Clio around just yet but I'd like to watch.

Reactions: Pav