Tomislav's Ultra Red 197

Hi
I dont want to confuse more, but i upload one picture. My 197 recently got new thermosthat. It is non-original BEHR thermosthat.
Coolant is approx 90celsius in normal driving. It would not raise any higher even when driving harder. ( At least winter)
Maybe it is now little bit hotter than OEM thermosthat, but here is so cold winters i dont complain so long there is no problems at summer.

Btw. Do you have calix or defa pre-heaters in your car?
Those are must in my opinion. Clio 197 is not funney to drive when engine is cold.

medium.jpg
Now that's where I expect it to be. I'll probably change it when I do the service and see what happens. Thermostats are cheap.

The grey one I wanted to buy at first had heaters installed, this one doesn't. I might install some for the next winter as this one is almost over.

Skickat från min Redmi 3 via Tapatalk

I recommend Calix heater system. I do have calix water heating system in engine block and interior heater defa termini 1850W.
Really comfortable to go with pre-heated car.

Small video about my heater kit:

Here you can choose products for Clio 197
http://www.calix.se/en/products/search-products-cars?action=vehicleDetails&vehicleId=1162482194
Thank you for the recommendation and link Antti! Those things really are a must-have for our part of the world.

Skickat från min Redmi 3 via Tapatalk

Right, so I got the OBD module today and tracked the coolant temp. It never gets above 72 degrees C, so a good deal under the 90 it should get to. Time to order a thermostat.

The new thermostat arrived today so I'll be replacing the old one this weekend or maybe next one. In the meantime I did get another little problem, the illumination on the speedo and rev-counter is not working. Any ideas? Most likely a fuse has gone, right?

Good luck with thermosthat replacement, what brand thermosthat you are installing? Should be relatively easy DIY project..
Just be careful with coolant system bleeding, you have to get all air out of the system.
What i know, there is not any legacy style glass bulbs in instrument cluster. It might be faulty instrument cluster.

Good luck with thermosthat replacement, what brand thermosthat you are installing? Should be relatively easy DIY project..
Just be careful with coolant system bleeding, you have to get all air out of the system.
What i know, there is not any legacy style glass bulbs in instrument cluster. It might be faulty instrument cluster.
The brand of the thermostat is Mahle. I'll be extra careful when installing it because it's my first time but like you said, it's not a too complicated of a job so I should do fine.

If I do need to replace the instrument cluster, it will mess up the mileage counter right? As in, it will go to zero if I install a new one and show another car's mileage if I get a used one?

If I do need to replace the instrument cluster, it will mess up the mileage counter right? As in, it will go to zero if I install a new one and show another car's mileage if I get a used one?

yes, that's correct.

Replaced the thermostat today. The temp rises faster and sits between 85-90 degrees C. Did a couple of stupid things while doing it though. I had trouble getting to the lower screw on the thermostat housing and managed to drop the wrench in the engine bay. Have no clue where it went cause I can't see it anywhere. Will have to lift the car and remove the shielding under the engine to try and find it.

Second dumb thing I did was not to check twice what color the coolant was. When I was done replacing the thermostat the coolant level was so low I could not see the color of it. So I filled with the red one I had bought. Now I know red shouldn't be mixed with the others so I'll be doing a complete coolant flush just to be safe. Should the flush be done ASAP or can it wait a couple of weeks?

Replaced the thermostat today. The temp rises faster and sits between 85-90 degrees C. Did a couple of stupid things while doing it though. I had trouble getting to the lower screw on the thermostat housing and managed to drop the wrench in the engine bay. Have no clue where it went cause I can't see it anywhere. Will have to lift the car and remove the shielding under the engine to try and find it.

Second dumb thing I did was not to check twice what color the coolant was. When I was done replacing the thermostat the coolant level was so low I could not see the color of it. So I filled with the red one I had bought. Now I know red shouldn't be mixed with the others so I'll be doing a complete coolant flush just to be safe. Should the flush be done ASAP or can it wait a couple of weeks?

The colours are a sign of different 'components' and the length of time it should last.

I'd check it after use a few times incase its reacted / turned to gloop etc.... But i'd personally be changing it pretty quick.

Good luck finding the wrench. You doing this before you drive it again i take it ?