ToiletDuck's UR Clio 197

Discussion in 'Projects/Progress Threads' started by ToiletDuck, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Benno

Benno Gold Member

I hate it when I do stupid stuff like that...:tearsofjoy:

But woah, Subway....delivered? I need to move to a populated area I think......

Pav and adam thomas like this.

2. ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck Paid Member

Ultra Red Clio 197
    It sounds like a good idea doesn't it! However, it's probably quicker and less stressful to just drive there and order :tearsofjoy:. I'm also itching to move out of the city(apart from Subway delivery I see no enjoyable aspects :tearsofjoy:), my plans to meg swap was put on hold due to looking at moving house but now that's also on hold due to uncertainty with my job :anguished:.

Benno and Pav like this.
  3. Pav

Pav Moderator

Manchester
    albi blue 197 with boost
    looks like you had fun :excited:

4. Benno

Benno Gold Member

Sounds like we're in a similar boat...Spa in April will be my only big trip this year I think, trying to start saving for a deposit but frankly failing miserably...! I'm working 65 hour weeks at the moment which is alright but I wouldn't mind my hourly rate being bumped up a few quid...

Pav likes this.
  5. Pav

Pav Moderator

Manchester
    albi blue 197 with boost
    no one would Ben :good:

ToiletDuck and Benno like this.
  6. ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck Paid Member

Ultra Red Clio 197
    Just another update along with more disappointment :worried:.

I decided to splash a bit more of the hard earned just after Christmas.

39053448494_bcd2d9a6ca_h.jpg

The rear brakes have always bugged me since I bought the car. Who ever "refurbed" the brakes did a bang up job and painted the pads, all bleed nipple covers etc. The discs were also pretty tired so add them to the list :tearsofjoy:. My thermostat is also dead so one of those and some fresh coolant were also ordered(its on the to do list!)

So, I've had the week off work(which was handy sort of) so figured I would get all the car jobs done this week, of course that never worked out. The family bus left some oil on the drive at the weekend so I had to chase that up, I also managed to catch SARS, Foot & Mouth or possibly just Man Flu so motivation was/is low.

Pushed myself this morning to get the rear brakes sorted so I can at least feel some sense of getting somewhere.

39763229241_43f97add9e_h.jpg
    39731128332_445271978a_h.jpg
    25891107328_1c1922b665_h.jpg

Only took 1 of the finished article as we all know what fresh brakes look like :grimacing:.

39763224131_78b95c200e_h.jpg

Put it all back together, did the routine pumping, NO HANDBRAKE! Great, took it for a spin, still nothing. Wheels back off, faffed with the cable mechanism, free'd off the passenger side but the cable on the drivers side is sticking in the outer :anguished:.

Back on the internet to buy more parts! :expressionless:

Anywho, that's where I'm at again. :smirk:

Big Ben likes this.
  7. Pav

Pav Moderator

Manchester
    albi blue 197 with boost
    great job and also sorry about all your complications...never happened to me with the rears..strange...
    hope you get to the bottom of it...

8. ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck Paid Member

Ultra Red Clio 197
    Thanks buddy, it's just one of those things. Judging by the state of them it's just down to poor maintenance on the previous owners behalf. New cables are on there way so I'll just bash them in next week :tearsofjoy:.

9. trackspec197

trackspec197 Paid Member

Worcester
    Clio 197 BMW 320 M Sport
    Worth checking the routing of the cables mate and that they are still behind the heat shield. I’ve seen it before now where cables are exposed to heat and weld themselves together. It could also be down to moisture penetration too if the outer shroud has been damaged in the past or the outer seals have failed.

ToiletDuck and Pav like this.
  10. ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck Paid Member

Ultra Red Clio 197
    Thanks mate, I'll check them over if I get chance(no way I'm lying on the floor in this weather:tearsofjoy:) however I think its down to moisture ingress, the plastic coating on the cables has come off and I imagine its worse inside the outer too. They move freely when pulled but not freely enough for the return spring :confused:.

trackspec197 likes this.