The ongoing saga of the Exhaust

Some of you may know that I have now had a blowing noise for about 5 weeks. Well I took it to the garage (along with 2 flexi's and the KTR decat pipe) thinking this would all be sorted in a day, the fool that I am.

It's now been in the garage 4 times. First time was a tinny blowing noise which I took it back in for. The result was another 2 days in the garage and now sounds like it's got no exhaust on at all (I was given some story of the flexi's rubbing together and one had caused the other to become undone). This has resulted in it going in to the garage again and be 'fixed' but sounds still the same and there is still the tinny blowing noise on top of the one that sounds like the chassis is gonna be shook apart!!

Anyone know of a decent garage in the North East that will give me a correct diagnosis of what needs to be done?

I am at my wits end with this and am tempted to just go to a decent custom exhaust place and get one made if all else fails.

So far I've paid for 5 flexi's and the KTR decat pipe, which is still on the car.

I will try and post a video later so you can hear how bad it sounds!

I just need someone who knows what they're looking at and can tell me how to fix it!

I wish Jim was still alive!

there's a company called powerflow in newcastle mate,apparently after talking to willvw of this site yesterday they are pretty good,they make custom exhausts i think he said so i'm sure they'd help u out

RalphyBMW was it you that replaced the flexi bits with Bosal replacements on your Manifold? If so I don't suppose you know the part numbers, I've tried a search but couldn't find it. Think mines on it's way out so was gonna replace the flexi's and weld the flange bits up at the same time.

Hi R1chard, try 2 x Bosal 265-567.

When welding them in you do need to be careful that they are far enough apart so they don't touch, otherwise you will have the same problems that newkiebrown is having.

there's a company called powerflow in newcastle mate,apparently after talking to willvw of this site yesterday they are pretty good,they make custom exhausts i think he said so i'm sure they'd help u out

The guy i took my car to, took it to them the third time cos he was having bother getting it to not blow and powerflow said they'd done one Clio 197 before and wouldn't touch it as they had nothing but hassle when they did one.

I am contacting AAS - Advanced Automotive Systems. To see how much it will cost to get a custom stainless steel exhaust made by them. To be honest I've had enough of it and just want it sorted. I've got video footage tonight and gonna upload it so you can hear how awful it sounds now. I just wish I'd taken one before the whole problem was tried to be fixed.

Last edited:
Well it's been to AAS and they said they weren't interested if it needed the Sub Frame dropping as they've got enough work on as it is. But he said he'd take a look anyway in case it didn't need the frame dropping.
It does anyway but the upshot of the analysis is:
1. The guy who did the jo has no idea how to weld
2. The exhaust is now sitting against the starter motor shielding (hence the vibrating noise I am hearing)
3. The exhaust is blowing from before and possibly after the decat pipe has been fitted. He wasn't sure about after but he said they had obviously had trouble as there was a lot of white powdery stuff over it (some sort of filler I presume)

So all in all, sounds like my exhaust is screwed. He did also comment that supplying and fitting a sports cat since August 2010 is now illegal with a fine of up to £5k (I didn't know that and not sure if it's true)

So anyone got ay ideas of who might take this on? I can get a 2nd hand manifold if needs be and all I am after is a more free flowing exhaust, not necessarily louder. last resort will be a new full exhaust from Renault

:bye2: :worried: :worried: :worried:

Would AAS copy a spare manifold? Then you would just need to find somewhere to fit it and repair the bodge to your decat.

I spoke to Tony Law in Leeds who suggested around £600+VAT for a custom mani, fitted.

He said he would only sort out the back of the exhaust, which there is nothing wrong with. He said he'd only touch from after the 2nd Cat, once it had been replaced. All in all not a good day!

Iam going to try exhaust a fix, they do custom stuff too so I will see what he says. I think I am going to go back to standard on the exhaust so it's either these guys or Renault!

Last edited:
I am having trouble getting my hands on a 2nd hand manifold including pre cat. I have the following question:

Will the manifold for a 182 fit the clio 197? I’ve had at look at the two, although not side by side, and they look the same.

I know there is no pre cat in the 4-2-1 pipe for the 182 and there aren’t any flexi’s in the 2 pipes but other than that it seems the same.

Are there any issues with using a stainless steel manufactured 182 pipe on my 197, if so is there any easy way I could get round it?

I’ve been looking online and the following link on eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-C...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c61749178

well i didnt think they would or could fit to be honest....

the flexi are there for a reason and not having them/or any will cause issues

its either repair yours or fit new or find a second hand one

its not as if its an easy job to fit a 182 manifold and then find it doesnt fit etc

I wasn't sure it owuld, that would be too simple a solution.

It looks as though I am going to have to get a new one cosnidering the damage that hes been done to my old one.

Just didn't really wanna fork out £723 for the part from Renault :worried:

I'm awaiting a repsonse from ClioSpares, do you have contact for CitRen? I've tried looking for them but can't find any reference to them

I need to get this sorted as my MOT is in Jan :worried: :worried:

Similar Thread Suggestions