The Broken R27 and a 550hp M3

Hello!

I'm new to the forums. I thought I'd better do a quick intro! :smile:

Here's my 2 babies.

O1ilxAbl.jpg

Just bought the R27 after loving them since new. Bottom end went before I even had chance to drive the thing. 2 hours of ownership cost me an absolute fortune. Talk about luck! Bought Pav's engine from him to replace it and will hopefully be back on the road at the end of this week.

m5jJuGgl.jpg

My M3 is very stupid and has ~550hp courtesy of an extensively modified 6.2L LS3. I also broke the bottom end on this car. Hence the frankenstein car I'm left with!

XPO6KH3l.jpg

So yeah, hello! :smile:

Don't trust this guy, he's a massive liar, he gave me the LSM3 but still thinks it is his.... What a fool.

Na top lad, the cars a beast (post in my thread).

Such bad luck with the R27 when he got it, but soon to be sorted :smiley:

Welcome. Only been on here a few weeks myself but have leant loads in that time - great bunch of people.
That is bad luck. At least the engines are becoming fairly cheap, and Pav's was a good price for a low mileage engine. They are also a doddle to change over, with very easy access.
You should be able to recoup some of your money by either selling your old engine as spares or repairs, or stripping out the cams (I believe the 172/182 boys like them) and selling the head to anyone who wants to have a go at porting/polishing. There will likely be other parts of interest to others on here, so I would imagine your overall outlay will be minimal. Every cloud and all that ;-)

Reactions: Pav
Ha, you're the red version of @///M with your R27 and M3. Ultra Red is a stunning colour, I must admit. These things happen, but when you know it's mechanically sound and in good order, it is worth every penny.
Glad @Pav managed to sell his engine, that was a good price and we can all vouch for him on here as being a sex pest top bloke.

Welcome Ash. Fine selection of cars there. Big shame about the engine issues!!!

Hope you get the R27 sorted with minimal problems and that you enjoy the hell out of it from there on.

Welcome aboard....

You've quickly made the top of the list of unluckiest people I know with your tales of woe.

I normally lend my cars to anyone. I might make an exception in your case :smile:

Best of luck and hope both are ripping up tarmac very soon.

Enjoy the forum....

Reactions: Micah
Welcome to the forum! That is some cruel luck! Good to hear you've got a replacement lined up - as above, Pav is a great lad :thumb:

Welcome mate. Shame about the R27 but dont let it spoil your baguette experience.

That M3 is awesome! was the conversion difficult? or are there alot of items to help on the shelf these days?

Welcome. Only been on here a few weeks myself but have leant loads in that time - great bunch of people.
That is bad luck. At least the engines are becoming fairly cheap, and Pav's was a good price for a low mileage engine. They are also a doddle to change over, with very easy access.
You should be able to recoup some of your money by either selling your old engine as spares or repairs, or stripping out the cams (I believe the 172/182 boys like them) and selling the head to anyone who wants to have a go at porting/polishing. There will likely be other parts of interest to others on here, so I would imagine your overall outlay will be minimal. Every cloud and all that ;-)
yeah a very unlucky man..thanks for your kind words..it's the members who make this forum what it is so thanks for being a part of it..pretty sure Ash will be able to sell lots of parts from his broken engine..
Ha, you're the red version of @///M with your R27 and M3. Ultra Red is a stunning colour, I must admit. These things happen, but when you know it's mechanically sound and in good order, it is worth every penny.
Glad @Pav managed to sell his engine, that was a good price and we can all vouch for him on here as being a sex pest top bloke.
looks like we all have to start saving for an M3 then boys..seems to be a very popular combo...thanks for your kind words Micah..gotta keep my reputation going,dont I?:drunk:
Welcome to the forum! That is some cruel luck! Good to hear you've got a replacement lined up - as above, Pav is a great lad :thumb:
hope all goes well mate..keep us updated on the engine swap...
Cheers Jimmy..gotta get them beers i promised you for saying this :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
Pav and great lad in same
Sentence.... never thought I'd hear that :smile:
think i see a ban coming :good:

Last edited:
Thanks for the warm welcome guys :smile:

Welcome mate. Shame about the R27 but dont let it spoil your baguette experience.

That M3 is awesome! was the conversion difficult? or are there alot of items to help on the shelf these days?

Everything was custom. You can read a bit about it here: https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1626184

Car was off the road for a year after blowing a rod through the block on the S54.

There are a few kits for adapting M3 boxes to LS motors but you have to use a track clutch which isn't going to last long on the road. So we went with all brand new gear. CAE shifter on it too. Only one in the world :smile:

Welcome Ash, sorry to hear about the engine issues, any idea why that happened?

M3 is crazy btw, great stuff!

Think it ran low on oil at some point and then with this being the first time it's spun up through the revs in a long time it just gave up the ghost.

Reactions: R32pete
Must have cost a pretty penny but looks totally worth it and the dude that installed it...that man has some talent.

Im putting my lambo up for sale next month as i want to build something not sure quite what yet but i have found that building cars like this is a lot more fun than just buying something from the showroom.

I tip my hat to you sir.