Teething Problems...

Benno

Malmesbury 'Chode of the Year' 2019
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

Bought an 06 197 today (privately..), test drove it and was absolutely spot on, didn't skip a beat. Drove it down the motorway home and noticed a slight crunch going from 2nd to 3rd at high revs. Drive it slowly and it slots in no problem, same as going 4th into 3rd, no issues. It's certainly not completely ruined, but I'm guessing that I should have it fixed within the next 1,000 miles or so to prevent any more problems!

Am I right in saying that this is most likely to be the 3rd gear synchro? And I've had a quote for £550+vat off of GRGB for strip down and repair. Sound fair?

By the way, I love it, it's unreal compared to my previous cars!

Edit -- I'm in North Wilts, anyone local to me?

Reactions: Beany
Welcome to the forum ..

Does sound like synchros, however I believe that is a ball mark figure!

Reactions: Benno
Hi Guys,

Bought an 06 197 today (privately..), test drove it and was absolutely spot on, didn't skip a beat. Drove it down the motorway home and noticed a slight crunch going from 2nd to 3rd at high revs. Drive it slowly and it slots in no problem, same as going 4th into 3rd, no issues. It's certainly not completely ruined, but I'm guessing that I should have it fixed within the next 1,000 miles or so to prevent any more problems!

Am I right in saying that this is most likely to be the 3rd gear synchro? And I've had a quote for £550+vat off of GRGB for strip down and repair. Sound fair?

By the way, I love it, it's unreal compared to my previous cars!

Edit -- I'm in North Wilts, anyone local to me?

Welcome to the forum Benno.

Is that price presuming you take out the box yourself - and drop it in to them......or is that inclusive of labour for that too ?

Because if it is - that's very cheap.

Welcome to the forum Benno.

Is that price presuming you take out the box yourself - and drop it in to them......or is that inclusive of labour for that too ?

Because if it is - that's very cheap.

Inclusive of them removing box! They said book in and they'll have it done within 24hrs providing there's no extra issues!

Inclusive of them removing box! They said book in and they'll have it done within 24hrs providing there's no extra issues!

Sharpen your teeth and bite their hands off would be my advice.!

Thats a great price. Many get quotes approaching 4 figures for the same thing ( @Big Ben )

THINK (Please check !!!) its 3 and 4th synchros that normally go. Would be prudent to have both done with the updated steel items IMO or your just asking for trouble later as 'chocolate' as these gearboxes are known for being.......

Sharpen your teeth and bite their hands off would be my advice.!

Thats a great price. Many get quotes approaching 4 figures for the same thing ( @Big Ben )

THINK (Please check !!!) its 3 and 4th synchros that normally go. Would be prudent to have both done with the updated steel items IMO or your just asking for trouble later as 'chocolate' as these gearboxes are known for being.......

Sounds like a good idea to me..will the updated steels fit straight in or is box modification required? Just so I know when I go back to GRGB to get it booked.

Regardless, don't suppose you'd know where I'd get hold of part numbers for the better bits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard...

A bit of a bummer buying with that fault...

Cheers Chris...yeah I test drove it and it was sweet..got about twenty miles down the road and it did it..typically my luck with buying cars!

On the flip side..at least if I spend the money I know it's been done..!

First thing to do before changing the gearbox is to change the gearbox oil and change/bleed the fluid. It has been known to fix it in the past.

First thing to do before changing the gearbox is to change the gearbox oil and change/bleed the fluid. It has been known to fix it in the past.

Sounds like a plan. Any recommendations for fluid/oil?

Sounds like a plan. Any recommendations for fluid/oil?

oooh there are a few. I've just changed mine to Total Gear 8, although mine is a Megane 'box, and it's fine. Others have used MTL Redline with good results, or the newer Renault ELF NFP (which I think is an improvement on the standard NFJ, or it may be the other way round).

oooh there are a few. I've just changed mine to Total Gear 8, although mine is a Megane 'box, and it's fine. Others have used MTL Redline with good results, or the newer Renault ELF NFP (which I think is an improvement on the standard NFJ, or it may be the other way round).

Looking at it now, ELF NFP 3L for £30..recommended by Renault so think I may just go for that!

Reactions: Malaysian 197
Gloucester road gear boxes having lived in Bristol they used to advertise loads on the radio, anyway i digress heard good things about them - Im in Wiltshire to..welcome to the forum great place.

Welcome to the forum! Not the best introduction to a 197, having those gearbox problems! But the positive side is you love the car, so that should make spending the money that little bit less painless :wink:

Reactions: LOCKE and Benno
Welcome.

What crappy luck! It's bound to happen sooner or later but it's harsh for it to happen so immediately.

Admire your viewpoint of "just need to get it sorted and then it will be done" good on you.

Although I echo what Sean has said. Definitely worth trying the fluids to see if it helps. Could save you a big chunk of money.

Anyway, glad you're enjoying the car, they really are fantastic. Not amazing in a straight line but there isn't much that can live with it when it comes to handling and fun.

Welcome to the forum. Sorry for the late reply. Currently abroad.

That price from GRGB is a steal and as previously said bite their hand off. Might want to consider a new clutch(£200) while you're at it as there's no extra labour involved.
If you do get it done and it is the price you've said please drop me a message!

Reactions: Benno and ///M
Cheers guys, yeah thinking about just getting the clutch done too, again, something less to worry about in 6 months!! Ordered the ELF box oil, going to get it serviced where I work as well so that it's all fresh in there at the same time. Will report back soon...

If you do get it done and it is the price you've said please drop me a message!

Will do!

Reactions: Big Ben
Hey and sorry to hear about the box, it's a common issue for the 197 it has to be said. That price is awesome, well worth getting clutch done at the same time! It'll feel like a different car :wink:

Hey and sorry to hear about the box, it's a common issue for the 197 it has to be said. That price is awesome, well worth getting clutch done at the same time! It'll feel like a different car :wink:

Cheers Mark, yeah I think I've decided regardless of what happens with the oil change that it's going to have it done!