tcw's Clio 197

Cars always feel better after a service. Great price off RPD too. You are doing the sensible stuff first.

Minor setback - looks like myself nor the previous owner can find the locking wheel bolt key lol! Will need to get these removed prior to the timing belt change on Monday. On the bright side, I've bought a 20 TPI bolts to replace the aged ones.

If anyone local to Colchester has a locking wheel bolt key which looks anything like the following, or knows a good place to get them removed, please comment!
s-l1600.jpg

No luck yet - local garage want a fiver per wheel so think I'll take that route tomorrow when the new TPI bolts arrive :smile:

Yep agreed I'd rather just pay the £20 and get them done... a little nervous just incase they struggle as I need them off by Monday for the timing belt.

Some more progress today, got the spark plugs all sorted, also changed the rear high level brake light bulb, it's W16W for reference. Old plugs looked OK, but good to have changed them for piece of mind. Timing belt tomorrow. Will need to get around to gearbox oil replacement, brake fluid replacement and a general strip down and cleanup of the brakes over the next few weeks.

30766431420_1976b0b4d5.jpg
30327169293_092e83332e.jpg
31134183105_999379f10c.jpg
31019856291_f65e12c62a.jpg

Reactions: sevenfourate
Timing belt, aux belt, water pump and dephaser changed at Engine Dynamics today. Great service, dropped it off early this morning and picked it up just after lunch.

Timing belt, aux belt, water pump and dephaser changed at Engine Dynamics today. Great service, dropped it off early this morning and picked it up just after lunch.

Well done. Job done and you can now rest easy. Top chaps arent they BTW :smile:

***Did you see my message ref the footplate Group Buy ?

Managed to get a bit more done today, helped a friend change the brake pads on their Transit, a job well done. Then gave the Clio a good wash, and got the gearbox oil changed. Pleased now that's done, it does definitely feel smoother. Wasn't a difficult job, took around an hour I guess, taking my time and giving things a clean as I went along. Then I went and see someone who had a CLIP, it appears the lighting module isn't talking to the ECU, need to take the front bumper off at some point this week and have a proper look.

Right... after a drive out tonight I believe the lighting issue is fixed for now! Pretty pleased if that's the case, though only time will tell, I'll pick up a plug and re-plug it soon, providing the issue doesn't return. For those who are interested, I took the front bumper off and one of the connectors to the lighting module was missing the clip, so I have attached it securely (with a cable tie!!!) for now.

Plans for the car between now and the new year
  • Want to get the car properly cleaned and give it a wax over the next few weeks.
  • Replace track rod ends and inner tie rods on both sides, then get alignment done.
  • Brake Service - will take everything apart, give it a good clean, replace fluid, hoses (picked a set of braided hoses from ProLine motorsport for £40), bleed nipples and the caliper pins - thinking about using the MrPink ones.

Reactions: DS197
Bit more progress this weekend. No more issues with the lights, so going to assume that's fixed for now.

This weekend it was time to change the brake fluid, and the brake lines too as it happens. I picked up a set of the braided lines from @Pro-Line Motorsport for £40 on Black Friday!!!

Really happy with them, they look awesome and give a nice consistent feel. Changing was brake fluid is also a good idea regardless, it looked a bit past its best.

For those interested 10mm, 11mm, 13mm and 14mm spanners are all that was needed. I didn't encounter anything too daunting, though one of the bleed nipples seems to have a lot of crap in the thread, or is cross threaded so I went easy with that one, and will look into replacing it soon.

Only a few photos as my bloody phone died, can't wait to get it sorted out next week, bloody Apple! (https://www.apple.com/uk/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/)

30612586473_9871751b18.jpg
31050492810_e439c445f3.jpg
31305169241_64fcbe74f5.jpg
30598548764_63aa703bc7.jpg

Reactions: tombate911
Bit more progress this weekend. No more issues with the lights, so going to assume that's fixed for now.

This weekend it was time to change the brake fluid, and the brake lines too as it happens. I picked up a set of the braided lines from @Pro-Line Motorsport for £40 on Black Friday!!!

Really happy with them, they look awesome and give a nice consistent feel. Changing was brake fluid is also a good idea regardless, it looked a bit past its best.

For those interested 10mm, 11mm, 13mm and 14mm spanners are all that was needed. I didn't encounter anything too daunting, though one of the bleed nipples seems to have a lot of crap in the thread, or is cross threaded so I went easy with that one, and will look into replacing it soon.

Only a few photos as my bloody phone died, can't wait to get it sorted out next week, bloody Apple! (https://www.apple.com/uk/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/)

30612586473_9871751b18.jpg
31050492810_e439c445f3.jpg
31305169241_64fcbe74f5.jpg
30598548764_63aa703bc7.jpg

Nice work buddy :smile:

Tell us about the difference in pedal feel etc please ?

Nice work buddy :smile:

Tell us about the difference in pedal feel etc please ?

A difficult subject to talk about, I guess some of it is preference, and some of it is very subjective.

In this case I changed some old fluid to new fluid which was probably most of the difference I was noticing, though I'm finding it a lot easier (in the few miles I did on the road) to brake closer to the threshold without triggering the ABS, also there is less travel before you can feel the brakes engaging (there was a bit before which I was really not happy with).

Overall for the £40 I think they are worthwhile, the old lines would've been around 10 years old and as such replacing them is not a bad ideal anyway.