Tailgate rust bubble peeling - Warranty covered?

So just got back from the body shop.

Unfortunately looks like half the car has been resprayed and I had no idea.

The bloke took one look at it and said it wasn't original. Said he could see filler lines on the paint. Got him to do thickness test anyway and the tailgate, bumper n/s door and bonnet all had a reading of about 7mm. While the roof and o/s door had 2mm reading.

Looks like I'm forking out to get this fixed myself then. Asked him for a quote to respray/repair the tailgate and bumper (Bumper probably needs a full respray). Roughly how much do you guys think that'll cost me?

That sucks... 7mm seems a bit insane tho! :openmouth:

I'm taking mine tommorow to get looked at for front subframe and rear arches, I'll let you know how I get on...

For a reputable bodyshop I would expect to pay £500+ for the tailgate and bumper to be painted.

If you're happy to take a risk at having a smart repair done. (which I have done without any problems as yet ) then go for it especially as it is likely that I will be selling soon.

I had a bad crease (forgot I didn't have reversing beepers !!) and to repair that and the tailgate came to £150 and it is a perfect match without respraying the whole bumper/ tailgate..

I'm not a clean /perfection freak but I am very critical of any imperfections and there are none!

Reactions: shogun
If you're happy to take a risk at having a smart repair done. (which I have done without any problems as yet ) then go for it especially as it is likely that I will be selling soon.

I had a bad crease (forgot I didn't have reversing beepers !!) and to repair that and the tailgate came to £150 and it is a perfect match without respraying the whole bumper/ tailgate..

I'm not a clean /perfection freak but I am very critical of any imperfections and there are none!
Can I ask who you used as I'm in Redditch as well please?

Renault dealers... How I've not missed you!

Me: "Hi, I'd like to book an appointment for my car to be inspected under the 12yr anti corrosion warranty"

Ren: "You don't need an appointment sir, just bring the car down whenever"

Me: "Oh goody, is this afternoon OK?"

Ren: "No sir, you need to see the service manager and he's not in today."

Me: "Erm... OK, so when's he available?"

Ren: long pause... "Wednesday afternoon sir"

Me: "OK, so any particular time Wednesday afternoon?"

Ren: "No sir, just pop down whenever".

Roll on Wednesday afternoon...

Me: "Hi, I'm here to get my car inspected under the 12yr anti corrosion warranty".

Ren: "Do you have an appointment?"

Arghhhhhh!

Did I need an appointment? YES

Was the service manager there? NO

Booked back in for next week, FFS! :chris2:

Already been given the "You need FSH with Renault speech", fecking dealers man!

It's a well know issue that A) water gets collected exactly at this position and B) that some tail windows are mounted (glued in) to low so they'll rub and destroy the paint.

Have you talked to RUK directly about this issue?

Last edited:
Reactions: Foxspeed