Supercharger my 197.

Noob question... What's difference between supercharger And turbo...

a turbo is driven by engine exhaust gases and hence the reasons for turbo lag

a super charger is driven by the engine crankshaft (looks like another alternator sort of) and works proportional to engine speed

I think pretty much whats been said here..

if your looking for more power from a 197/200 it just isn't really very cost effective.
get summink with a bigger turbo in the 1st place and your laughing when it comes to tuning.

Anyone had there 197 charged? I love the meggies but to me they are a mans car :wink: abit big at the ass haha. Plus I wanna keep my car intill im 25ish. So I wouldnt care if I lost money on it. Just be nice to say I got mine supercharged like its personal? That make sense lol. If anyone has had theres supercharge? Are you going to Traxs?

turbo = exhaust gas driven

super charger = engine driven

as you can see you have pumping losses in different places with the different chargers...

Ye, I was only joking, I know it would be more than just unbolting t/c and bolting the s/c on. I'm surprised more manufacturers haven't adopted s/c's as the noise and the lack of lag are very appealing. Do they cost more to fit/make/etc than turbos in the first place?

Ye, I was only joking, I know it would be more than just unbolting t/c and bolting the s/c on. I'm surprised more manufacturers haven't adopted s/c's as the noise and the lack of lag are very appealing. Do they cost more to fit/make/etc than turbos in the first place?

Rotrex chargers dont whine :wink:

Anyone had there 197 charged? I love the meggies but to me they are a mans car :wink: abit big at the ass haha. Plus I wanna keep my car intill im 25ish. So I wouldnt care if I lost money on it. Just be nice to say I got mine supercharged like its personal? That make sense lol. If anyone has had theres supercharge? Are you going to Traxs?

I'll be there on the jamsport stand

Superchargers are more straightforward to retrofit, depending upon the application of course.

Because turbos are driven by waste exhaust gasses, rather than putting an additional load on the engine, they are generally considered to be more efficient.

I am struggling to think of any current supercharger applications other than the JLR V8 and the VAG twincharger, what am I forgetting? Loads of turbo applications though. Do Merc still do a supercharged C class?

Superchargers are more straightforward to retrofit, depending upon the application of course.

Because turbos are driven by waste exhaust gasses, rather than putting an additional load on the engine, they are generally considered to be more efficient.

I am struggling to think of any current supercharger applications other than the JLR V8 and the VAG twincharger, what am I forgetting? Loads of turbo applications though. Do Merc still do a supercharged C class?

nissan micra gone super charger and rumours of other makers doing the same

as for turbo - it causes exhaust back pressure/pumping losses on the outlet side that have to be overcome/compensated for

That Nissan had passed under my radar, not heard much of other applications though, whereas all the current focus seems to be on turbos.

Ariel Atom S/C! Lol! VXR8 Bathurst edition. That things sounds sounds amazing. Well, from what I have heard on the tv anyway! lol!

Ariel Atom S/C! Lol! VXR8 Bathurst edition. That things sounds sounds amazing. Well, from what I have heard on the tv anyway! lol!

Vxr8 bathurst sounds amazing!! It sounds best when at 30 and is just left to burble down the revs as it sounds like a thunderstorm!

To be honest, bolt on conversions are always difficult. Especially if its a daily driver. You have to get use to and live with your car always only being 70-80% right. Been there with a SC BM and It was sooooo frustrating.

Last edited:

Similar Thread Suggestions