Sticky handbrake or calliper (drivers rear)

2007 R27. Went a bit sticky in cold temps a few years back. Parked in gear ever since. A garage kindly put a spring on the calliper to help it return. Mrs drove car a few weekend back and cranked on the handbrake and the bugger stuck on an required some heat to build up whilst driving to release.

I bought new handbrake cables from Euro CP that I'm about to fit, but has anyone had issues with the calliper itself shitting the bed?

Chris

2007 R27. Went a bit sticky in cold temps a few years back. Parked in gear ever since. A garage kindly put a spring on the calliper to help it return. Mrs drove car a few weekend back and cranked on the handbrake and the bugger stuck on an required some heat to build up whilst driving to release.

I bought new handbrake cables from Euro CP that I'm about to fit, but has anyone had issues with the calliper itself shitting the bed?

Chris
The pads seize in the calipers due to corrosion behind the spring

Which spring Steve? My old garage added a spring as from the factory they do not have one (but the caliper does have the hooks and mounting points for one)

However, this spring and the pad are not in contact with one another.

Which spring Steve? My old garage added a spring as from the factory they do not have one (but the caliper does have the hooks and mounting points for one)

However, this spring and the pad are not in contact with one another.
If it's a problem the handbrake lever returning then it's either a caliper or cable . However when mine was sticking first thing in morning it was the spring plate between pad and carrier. The carriers corrode and push spring forward and jam the pad. Take caliper off, remove pads and you will see the metallic shim or spring. Remove that and see if it's corroded.

Update & fix

Too the top half o the caliper off using the guide on here. Was easy enough but after owning a BEC Kit Car for 4 years and numerous other cars with basic DIY projects, I never knew I did not have a 15mm spanner lol. Luckily my 370z wasn't pinned in so a quick trip to Halfords was done (randomly they had a £25 set of Halfords lifetime guarantee spanners for £7 in store. Grabbed a can of brake cleaner from the little motor factors next door too for £4.

I had suspected the cables were an issue so last weekend I took advantage of Eurocarparts 57% off weekend and grabbed some Pagid LH & RH cables. Free deliver and a 1 year return window if not used.

Afetr giving all the slider pins and grease, cooper slip to the pads and springs after cleaning, the handbrake arm on the back of the caliper was not returning. I managed to unclip it and it sprung back free. So my issue was the cable not the caliper.

Removing was very easy in the end with handbrake OFF. Unclip from the lever end at the caliper using pliers. Tackle the plastics around the handbrake and you will see the horseshoe that the two cables hook into. Operating the handbrake (not too much) will enable you to wiggle up the plastic shroud enough to get to the inner workings.

With both end uncliped, the cable is clipped in to the undercarriage with very simple fittings. No tools needed at all. Then its a simple case of yanking the cable free from the cabin towards the rear of the car in one simple tug.

To fit the new cable i poked some thin gardening wire down the hole from the handbrake lever in the cabin and fished it out near the rear axel. Taped (as thinly as possible) the new cable and the wife pulled it back into the cabin gently. Clip - clip - pop - pop the new one in and HUUZZAAHHHHHH.