Steves Megane conversion build - She's finally running (VIDEO inside)

Haven't been on here in a while with Xmas and such.

First thing is I decided to take the plunge and install nitrided inlet valves as it was just playing on my mind, last thing i want is a valve breaking and destroying the engine and over a grand's worth of con rod, piston and crankshaft and the whole point of this build is "Reliable Power".

When they arrived they only sent 7 for some reason :lol: hopefully the 8th one will arrive this week. They were installed and inspected easily, all within spec and leak free which is fine. The head will now be put in storage once the last valve arrives until the block is finished.

While I was waiting for the valves I had a tinker with the tiny Td04l 14t turbo, while I was going to just strip it for something to do and then sell it on with new bearings etc, and then just buy a hybrid from rs tuning. I have decided to just build my own improved version, since the ones ktec and that sell are ludicrous price for the man hours in them.

I am going to make a td04hl 19t with help from "Turbo dynamics" in Christchurch as they'll be building the CHRA and do all the balancing. Ill machine all the compressor and turbine housing myself as I am a machinist by trade, it should be easy. The only thing Ive had to do it saw the inlet pipe off the compressor housing in order to fit in my lathe, Ill then weld it on after (This is what ktec do I believe). I hope this upgrade should produce 320hp without overboosting. Im sure ill knock up a tubular manifold and get a garret in the future but this will do for now.

Today however I tried solve the knocking noise in the rack, checked all swivel joints and replaced all inner and outer track rods as they had play in them anyway on the MOT last year. But the knocking still happens, looks like a new rack when i change out the engine, ill try and get a 200 one for the quicker turning.

Also sorted out the airbag light from fitting the recaros, soldered some pins onto a 3.3 ohm resistor and simply inserted it into the plug and this did the trick.

Did a quick enhancement detail on the steed and the mothers s2000 (Damn I love these cars) last weekend, honda paint is so soft compared to renault diamond hard bloody paint!

One last thing, toying with idea of getting my recaro backs done in gloss black, whats your opinions?

30A4EB49-097D-49A6-9DA2-57E909E651C6_zpsljxyagzi.jpg

E826AB1B-7B6F-42B9-A9F2-55E06D1814D3_zpsqjxan7tt.jpg

272F01B8-0F44-44A7-B42E-876E8F7CB64E_zpsbnaasglf.jpg

F7298B84-949C-4340-8BAE-ABA8F151DB00_zpsw2zeaxab.jpg

5784B9DC-1093-4FFD-A54D-240BCD3788FF_zps0pcsr5dn.jpg

5BE3FA9A-45BD-4E42-9FCF-4646158B9100_zpstujrjeg1.jpg

0D7AB107-47C5-4060-8CDC-C38D035F307B_zpsswhclfg0.jpg

Looking good Stephen, get yourself over to rsmegane.com if your not alread on there.

TFD (trader on there) do a steering rack bush which has cured peoples knocking on the Megane.

Knowing Renault they probably all use the same part but don't quote me on that one !

Id leave the Recaro back standard too.

Keep up the work buddy!

Im looking forward to seeing that turbo being built!

Looking good Stephen, get yourself over to rsmegane.com if your not alread on there.

TFD (trader on there) do a steering rack bush which has cured peoples knocking on the Megane.

Knowing Renault they probably all use the same part but don't quote me on that one !

Id leave the Recaro back standard too.

Will do mate, I'm on meganesport.net but it's like a ghost town there. I'll have look.

Sounds good to me :smile: if it produces 300hp consistently then your onto a winner, rather than it being on/off the road for issues.

Keep doing as your doing and it'll be awesome. I'm enjoying seeing this progress

Quick update:

The missing inlet valve showed up eventually, so that's been installed and the heads been put into storage. At work this week I've started to make up a jig in order for me to hold the compressor housing in a lathe. This week I'll weld flanges onto the jig that bolt into the actuator holes. Here it is at the moment.

3A5A5962-969D-4CD4-8730-5A1FBE1B3396_zpsldopds7g.jpg

Evening all

Ive put the turbo on the side at the moment due to saving up for parts and a mountain of college work i have to complete for my HND. Started work on inlet manifold of the megane 225 engine. I used engineers blue to marked where the inlet lines up with the head ports, and wow! what a difference in sizes. About 5mm smaller in the width and 3mm in the height. This is shown in the photos. I grabbed my dremel again and went back to the process of grinding, sanding and buffing (oh joy :blush: ) Ive finished two of the ports so far which took around 5 hours. Ill finish the other two when i find time, hopefully next week end fingers crossed. Ill also open out the throttle body and plenum of the intake. This should hopefully result in some decent gains.

With the engine build on the side line I decided to give the interior a spruce up from that god awful silver. I went to halfords and picked up some black metallic paint the same as my cars colour. Gave 4 coats of primer, 4 colour and 5 lacquer. Then wet sanded with 2000 grit wet and dry and buffed out to get that mirror finish. I put a black renault sport sticker on the long dash trim for a subtle but stealth looking addition.

Next time ill hopefully get the inlet done and maybe make up a custom fuel rail done for the after market fuel pump ill put in the car.

344CA87C-E149-4187-B7CC-1DFC15547ED1_zpsq6fxolma.jpg

EE5B6758-5AF4-4FE9-9A49-BD95F2F17F93_zps5k0uupwg.jpg

E7534274-DB41-458B-BFA5-BE080F6EB58E_zpsbhcexjg7.jpg

04D430F0-20A7-4D7F-B228-4011BE0D8100_zpswnyoeqte.jpg

11106DC6-03B5-45E5-A2CC-9E11DABBDB9C_zpspm1iynon.jpg

UPDATE:

First off I managed to finish all the porting on the inlet manifold which took an absolute age, but I always knew it would with 5mm to take off over the width of the port. Im really happy with it and the continuity between ports is all with 0.25mm which aint bad for a dremel I dont think :lol: Ill get it painted some time using the same colour I sprayed the rocker cover in.

With that done I turned my attention to the fuel rail. This is because with a uprated inline fuel pump Ill need to run a regulator and return line, but with the oem rail being plastic I am unable to get another secure line into it. To make one I first got hold of some 18mm dia solid stainless round bar and turned up some injector fittings. I cut these at 25mm long and with a 13.5mm reamed hole through the centre. Then I used a dividing head on a milling machine with an 18mm end mill cutter to dish out the bottom of the to fit the 18mm stainless tube Im using for the rail. The holes were then drilled in the tube at 89mm centres. Using the silver solder I brazed these fittings onto the tube along with an AN6 fitting for the return line. I still need to figure out the position of the feed line which will be soldered on along with some support brackets. But here is how it looks so far.

1393FBE0-6031-4F53-8CA5-5CB254D5F7CE_zpsyvrrinpb.jpg
Difference between the stock manifold and my ported one.

099B0815-76B0-4CD0-8203-5C84A3D24EFE_zpsxv5aj1qs.jpg

457A3F85-F541-4025-BE7C-090E276FC145_zpsi2leyiif.jpg

59F4F607-1DC4-493A-A1DE-737AF847DD6E_zps0sui3boj.jpg

95226541-2BA6-4A75-9DF2-E62E9CB95D85_zpshyskddtw.jpg

Cheers

Jesus! Stephen! You certainly know your stuff! Great confidence there!

i love seeing this car progress! I have a feeling this is going to be something quite special when it's complete.

Keep us updated please [MENTION=50319]Stephenvenning[/MENTION]

Cheers [MENTION=4323]Gez[/MENTION] it will hopefully be a little monster once completed. Thinking of sorting out the handling/braking aspect of the car in the summer so will be a good platform for the engine once it goes in.

Looks spot on mate. How did you join the injector housings onto the fuel rail? - Welded or chemical metal? Looks flipping neat chap!! :smile:

Cheers [MENTION=38628]TB Rich[/MENTION]. It's been silver soldered. Better than welding for this application as you don't get pourosity in the stainless steel as it's not being melted. So there is less chance if it leaking and still plenty strong enough

wow! simply wow! The amount of work gone into this project is unreal and the results speak volumes. Well done mate keep up the good work!

May I ask, did the 5mm come after research or is it a random number? Because allegedly (I'm only going with what I read and not from 'porting' experience, haven't got any tbh lol) it's not always the bigger/wider the better when it comes to porting, it's the speed of the flow that matters. Is that correct or am I talking non sense?

Cheers [MENTION=2045]Yiannis197[/MENTION] the idea of porting or matching the manifold to my head is to create a nice smooth transition so the air becomes less turbulent hence more airflow. The megane manifold/head ports are a lot smaller than a clios though.

As I had today off I decided to test fit my fuel rail with the manifold, head, block and throttle, then I could see where I am going to drill the hole for the feed line. Had a few issues, mainly being I forgot about the dipstick bracket being located right at the end of the fuel rail where I had my return line. To remedy this I ground off the welds on the bracket, I then ground part of the inlet manifold off so I could swivel the bracket round 60 degrees, the new position was marked with a pen and the bracket was cut to suit. Ill weld it all together when im back at work on tuesday. Feed line should be fine where it is in the picture, I would like it to run perfectly parrallel with the rail but unfortunately this isn't possible due to the throttle body being in the way, hey ho just my perfectionist side coming out there lol. I still need to paint the manifold and some of the brackets.

Pictures:

AB8F75CD-97FA-4A98-9ECE-15CD489F5E80_zpswg0ukofa.jpg

You can see in this photo just how tight it is by the throttle body, you can also see where I have ground off the bracket and repositioned it so it doesn't foul on the fuel rail return.

78480929-E62D-40A0-B3B1-AF5BF80DEDB1_zpspgoduhqf.jpg

I do love a bit of braided fuel hose ;D will looks loads better when manifold is painted though

Stephen