Stereo Nav & Bluetooth

Good evening all,
I would appreciate your feedback/comments on a modification made to my car.
The below does not constitute advice and the author is not responsible for any other users personal safety or vehicles based on this information.

I've just completed the Stereo Nav and Bluetooth update to the Clio and figured that I should at least share some of the experience.
Upon purchasing the car, black Clio200 2010 I was told that the TomTom needed a map update (see an earlier post).
I tried this, it failed and I really couldn't face a 6-7 year old piece of tech in the car when we are all used to the user interfaces of Android and Apple.
So, I modified the car.

I had a Sony MEX BT5700 kicking around and decided to use this (I know the colours don't match - for the purists).
I wanted to retain the use of the steering controls. (yes a CTSRN007.2 can work for the later mk3 clio BUT you have to provide a spliced switched ignition.) Connects2 were useless at providing me with this information, it actually came from Mem(?) at Dynamic Sounds.

The Nav was not co-operating so it was replaced by an ipad mini (cellular version as the WiFi versions don't usually have the GPS chip).
This took a lot of digging for information and a suprising amount of wiring mods, but I am pleased with the results (with a couple of exceptions)
I bought an analogue clock from Speedhut in the states - (I found a SVG file for the RenaultSport graphic/logo and they used this).

The idea is, when I need to, I can put the iPad mini in the slots on the dash and it can provide music stored or streamed overlayed with Navigation commands and map/directions.
This is received at the headunit by either bluetooth or wired into the USB slot.
If I don't need navigation/music from the tablet then I just have the clock visible.
Also received at the head unit is the phone, which if a call is received there is no interruption of Nav visuals etc.

Overspecced, expensive but totally upgradable: IMHO this is how car manufacturers should provide the infrastructure to the cars produced.
Thanks for reading and I look forward to any thoughts you may have.
If there are questions, I'll try to answer these within days.

Without iPad fitted.
attachment.php

with:
attachment.php

Falco DashCam, allows for video recording (without sound), video is stabilised - essential for the Cup suspension. The Waze Nav Audio Directions continue overlaying the Music audio.
Not the ideal compromise due to apple limitations but still good. (using lightning to USB cable here as it is easier to set up)
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1633a.jpg
    IMG_1633a.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_1634a.jpg
    IMG_1634a.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 177
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
I got to hand it to you mate, that is really cool and looks great. Very OEM looking

I had a look into if there was any headunits which came with a separate screen to do this exact job instead of using a tablet but couldn't find anything. This looks quite a neat alternative though.

This looks very nice and useful. I would try the same project. So i will need a little bit help as how you made usb slot into the display.....etc

You are correct the trim is OEM for the TomTom fitted vehicles.
The iPad is taller than the top edge of the trim.
When I measured the cutouts for the trim and rubber edges it was done against an ipad mini.
The mini4 is a couple of mm taller so it is too tight for my liking. I may have to re-model with a second attempt with the original trim that came out of the car. (rather than trim sourced from Car Transplants).
attachment.php
Close up with the imperfections
attachment.php
Primer
attachment.php
1st coat
attachment.php
2nd coat
attachment.php
lacquer

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 73
attachment.php

System in the dark from point of view of driver eyeline. It is about12mm higher than the trim.
I didn't reply straight away to the visibility question as I hadn't used the car in anger with the iPad in place.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

Similar Thread Suggestions