Steering wheel

Hi guys,
Really weird one here, if I turn my steering wheel from right to left just a few inches I get this knock! Now I’ve checked the UJ and overtightened it so it’s not that, but if I adjust the wheel height and length without clamping it in place seems to stop the clunk, but if it’s clamped it makes the noise again! Anyone ever experienced this?

I’d be tempted to check the Column to car chassis bolts, if it doesn’t do it while it’s not locked it could be the locking mechanism fixing the column to the outer and the outer of the column is moving a touch when it is locked, whip the plastics off and see what’s moving/clicking when you turn the wheel, it could even be play within the UJ itself which you won’t be able to tighten up...

Also never ever overtighten bolts, correct torque settings or leave em be on safety critical stuff like brakes and steering!

Reactions: Pav
I’d be tempted to check the Column to car chassis bolts, if it doesn’t do it while it’s not locked it could be the locking mechanism fixing the column to the outer and the outer of the column is moving a touch when it is locked, whip the plastics off and see what’s moving/clicking when you turn the wheel, it could even be play within the UJ itself which you won’t be able to tighten up...

Also never ever overtighten bolts, correct torque settings or leave em be on safety critical stuff like brakes and steering!

Thanks for the reply, will check bolts and also remove column surround and take a look.