Steering Wheel noise ? Help Please!

Just drove to the local tesco all fine, got back into the car and when i turn the steering wheel it sounds like the cables are twisting behind it ?... searched the forum but had no luck?

It sounds as if its coming from directly behind the steering wheel

Any one shed any light on this?

Matt

Never heard that one.as anything fell down between the wheel and the column???

Typical problem on newer cars, its the clockspring mechanism behind the steering wheel through which the wiring loom for the airbag, horn, stereo controls etc. are routed.

This 'hissing' noise can be heard on most cars due to the nature of the mechanism, however if the noise is particularly audible then the mechanism is about to fail. In most cases this causes the airbag light to come on.

Its easy enough to replace, if you know how to remove the steering wheel. As for the cost, it isn't cheap: on my Megane II the clockspring mechanism along with light and wiper stalks (its all one part) came around at 260 euros.

Note: I had it replaced multiple times under warranty and it was never 100% quiet.

Also, avoid at all costs spraying anything between the gap! It will only make things worse!

If the noise is bothersome and you don't have to look for it to hear it, have the clockspring part replaced...

Ok cheers lads, will have to see if my warranty will cover it
Just strange how it suddenly came, its really loud u can hear it over music... Will take a video of it and post it