Steering Notch/Noise

GrumpyTwig

"the troll hunter" with added boost!
Not sure if this is something that has been there all the time but recently noticed turning the wheel I get a soft *dunk* noise.

I've turned it lock to lock while outside the car and can't hear it but can from inside.

Upon further investigation while watching the u-joint just behind the brake pedal you can see it stick and jump slightly i.e. it's not moving freely at a certain point.

Any ideas if it's normal or should I be making a visit back to the garage? I've been lucky so far having not had to take it back to the stealers for a while.....

Hopefully it's not something that will fail suddenly.

if its on full lock then its hitting the bump stops
:glare:

I've taken another look, pretty sure the u-joint is sticking/worn at the point the steering is central. Anyone got any other ideas what it might be other than that?
Looks like I'll be having to book some time off work to take it in.......

:glare:

I've taken another look, pretty sure the u-joint is sticking/worn at the point the steering is central. Anyone got any other ideas what it might be other than that?
Looks like I'll be having to book some time off work to take it in.......

only way to tell is to disconnect the shaft and feel the uj movement really

Mine suffers from a faint rubbing and knocking noise when turning through lock.

My problem is with the wheel direction sensor ring for the abs/airbag, behind the steering wheel. it rubs on the column trim.

I have this too, its only a slight knock as you first start to turn the wheel, was going to flag it up at next service in 1500 miles, along with my aircon that has stopped working. Other than that I have had no other problems at all with the car in 33.5k miles, must be lucky or the car really likes to be used