Starter Gone?

Bit of a worry.

Jumped in car this morning and she didn't want to start.

Ignition engages, dash lights up, fuel primes but just a click and no start... Makes me think starter over immobiliser... Tried giving her a slight rock in gear to try and move anything jammed, nothing... I'm starting to think some form of short or lose connection could have caused the problem. The car is an '09 done 20k miles and no real reason as to why this has happened. Besides the fact that the warranty ran out in march so I suppose it sod's law.

Just to note this is not a keyless entry system just your standard twist and go jobby. The car also bump starts fine.

So am I looking at a new starter and all associated costs or has someone found the problem/cause...

Thanks in advanced.

Is the battery ok? Sounds a little like a flat(ish) battery to me. Might be worth checking before going down the starter motor route

if the battery checks out fine....

see if you can give the starter a quick whack if its just clicking - if it works after the whackits usually the brushes or solenoid contacts that are on thier way out...

there is a heat sheild over the starter so it might not be that "easy" to get at it

battery seems fine - running at 12v through ignition. flickers down to about 11v when trying to start.

Ill give her a whack and see if there is any movement.

She played up the other day, left over night and started up fine the next day. The same 'patience' doesn't seem to have fixed it this time...

If it bump starts I'd imagine it's the starter motor.

In my experience, when they're on their way out they are temperamental. Sometimes they do work, then they won't. Then they just don't. (My van went when I stopped to fill up for fuel. Felt like a right tit pushing it out of the petrol bay!)

What a ball-ache...

I thought starter from the outset. Worse thing is I just don't have the facilities or garage to sort it myself any more so going to end up paying through the teeth for this.

Warranty not gone for 2 months and this is the first mechanical problem I have had with the Clio - seems a little bit to much like a coincidence...

Never mind, better not to linger :bat:

Probaly is the starter pal. If you've had the car from new or have used the dealer for a while see if they will do you a deal. Either you pay for the starter and they pay labour or whatever. I know in work we sometimes do this for some of our customers

Yes sounds like I'm going to have to get her booked in.

Anybody around Midlands know where to source some good parts :thumbup1:

I had my starter fail later last year and changed the starter motor but it cured nothing! Theres a hidden fusebox under the aux air inlet on the far n/s of the engine bay. Inside it you'll find a fuse for the starter control. This was my problem. Cost me 20p and about 5 minutes to fix. Please check this before booking it in elsewhere.

Ah ok ben_r1, I will have a look at that first off. Thanks a lot for the heads up. I have booked it in tomorrow morning first thing for a diagnostic, thinking it could be electrical as much as mechanical. Is there something that would trip this fuse or something causing it to act so unpredictably?

Thanks for the help with sourcing the part. As far as my hunt goes I have found parts and fitting at about £150 on a refurb or about £300 on a new. But I am now hoping ben_r1 has solved all... I thought it was a little odd for a massive malfunction of a key component 3 years down the line. I look after this car better then I do myself :001_tt1:

I will update you later today when I have had a good go at this ominous fuse :poke:

Mine blew when I hit a kerb at 60mph trying to keep an r26.r behind me, like a tit! My case is the first and sole time i've heard of it on a 197/200 but worth a look!

Mine blew when I hit a kerb at 60mph trying to keep an r26.r behind me, like a tit! My case is the first and sole time i've heard of it on a 197/200 but worth a look!

Hahah! I only wish mine was down to something I could put my finger on... Just one day, rocked down to car and no go...

I think I have found the fuse assembly you are on about ben_r1. Didn't realise it would be a battery out jobby, so will have to wait until I get back from work to have a good look. They don't make it easy to find lol.

Hahah! I only wish mine was down to something I could put my finger on... Just one day, rocked down to car and no go...

I think I have found the fuse assembly you are on about ben_r1. Didn't realise it would be a battery out jobby, so will have to wait until I get back from work to have a good look. They don't make it easy to find lol.

what this one....dont have to remove battery?

P4030007.jpg

what this one....dont have to remove battery?

P4030007.jpg

Do apologise, that was the one I was on about but because I was at work didn't have tools to even take aux intake out. Thought I would have to remove the lot battery and all to get at wiring to starter and fuses.

Great help guys and thanks a lot for the picture. I'll let you know how it goes - popping down to garage now.

Ok - checked fuses all seem good. Checked all connections they too look good (except the white cable which runs over the fuse box this is not connected).

Getting three 'beeps' on central locking now. Noise as far as starter motor not so much as a tick.

Picture on opening her up, untouched...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336589232.817831.jpg

Ps I did check fuses under the plastic card lower in the fuse box (towards front of vehicle) as well, all look ship shape.

Getting a little concerned now :worried:

Did you physically remove them and check one by one instead of just looking over the top for a break?

It's a shame it's not a simple fix. Starter motors are prone to premature failure on these models I'm afraid :worried: