Soon to be 197 owner...

...well, when the right one comes around. I've got a dCi 106 in Initiale guise at the moment, originally bought because I was commuting from Leeds to Sheffield daily. I've now moved to within a mile from work, so a 197/200 is now on the cards.

Perhaps I am being a little too picky, but I'm holding out for the right one - must haves include at least projectors with cornering lights, preferably xenons, climate control, and no cup spoiler/splitter/skirts. Things that would be nice include CD changer, Recaros, and 2008 model (revised gearbox).

There is an Albi blue full fat ticking the must haves and with CD changer. It's a 57 plate, but built 2008. I'm going to go look at it next week.

One question for you guys: it's apparently had belts done (good) and the gearbox replaced for synchro failure (okay I suppose) and the clutch replaced (bad?). Should I steer clear? I wouldn't have thought clutches are the sort of thing to go after 47,000 miles without some abuse, any tell-tale signs of it being tracked that I can look out for?

Cheers
Joe

Welcome to the forum Joe. In my opinion it sounds like the car has had a hard life so far and I personally would steer clear of it. I was looking at one myself and its on its 3rd set of tyres in 14000 miles and that set off alarm bells in my head, but then maybe like yourself I'm just overly cautious.

Anyway, welcome to the site once again. I'm sure it won't be too long until a few other people come along to give your their opinions and try to help you out.

John

welcome to the site, maybe the clutch was changed due to the new gearbox being fitted, you might aswel fit a new clutch while its off, saves time and money. you wont get a 197 with the cd changer and recaros, unless someone has fitted the recaros after purchase of the car (like i did).

Thanks for the welcome guys.

I'll go and have a look at the Albi 197, and I'll ask if they know whether the clutch was replaced simply because it may as well have been, or for other reasons. You never know, the dealer might be honest with me! It's this one, by the way - just in case anyone knows the car (and its history).

Just as a general observation/rant (I think this was mentioned in Yiannis' R27 project thread) - I'd absolutely go for an R27, but the number specced without climate control is just silly for the sake of the £150 option box. Anyway, enough venting!

Cheers

Thanks for the welcome guys.

I'll go and have a look at the Albi 197, and I'll ask if they know whether the clutch was replaced simply because it may as well have been, or for other reasons. You never know, the dealer might be honest with me! It's this one, by the way - just in case anyone knows the car (and its history).

Just as a general observation/rant (I think this was mentioned in Yiannis' R27 project thread) - I'd absolutely go for an R27, but the number specced without climate control is just silly for the sake of the £150 option box. Anyway, enough venting!

Cheers

looks tidy and had some money spent on it!

but why list the "wheels" as an "extra" they were standard....:bat:

The clutch would have most definitley have been replaced with the gear box as it makes sence to! Had the same on my mums car, my old one an my mates too! So all I know is that whenever the gear box is changed, the clutch is too! Unless the garages were just making money! :wink: anyway the car looks sweet! :smile:

Just a follow up: went and drove the car on Thursday (in the wet), and it was awesome. I've driven a 200 Gordini before, but this just seemed better. Perhaps it's because of the Somerset roads I was able to take it out on - I guess, aside from the track, a good old English B-road is these thing's true home. I just kept thinking "wow" when driving it, they're seriously awesome bits of kit.

It got the seal of approval from the girlfriend (she giggled when the exhaust popped on the overrun), so I shall be giving the dealer a ring on Monday with a view to swapping it in the first week of the new year.

It's had new discs and pads, wheels refurbed, clutch, waterpump, dephaser, belts, new syncros in the gearbox, oil, filters... basically, it sounds like it's had a lot of money spent on it getting it right (the guy said it was originally going to be his other half's daily driver, but in the end she didn't like it).

One thing I will ask - has anyone bothered getting a Warranty Direct style warranty just in case the gearbox goes pop on an older 197?

Joe

Last edited:
Welcome fella,
Picked up mine in oct very similar spec (pan/roof in mine) 51k £5995.
So try and get some £s off asking price...buyers market!!
Brought a warranty for mine from "Go Warranty" about £185 for a year-had 3 year one and only cost me £305 (mileage/age etc) so give them a go?

If it's had the gearbox done you should be ok if it's the uprated syncro type.

When was it done because the new gearbox will have 12 months warrenty on it?

So try and get some £s off asking price...buyers market!!

I let the guy know what I would pay, and he agreed to it, and I'm happy with the amount. Also happy with the trade-in value for my dCi, too.

When was it done because the new gearbox will have 12 months warrenty on it?

Apparently, very recently. Part of my conditions of buying it will be having a copy of the invoice for the work done on the gearbox, and I'll want a guarantee (pun intended!) that there is a guarantee on it.

Joe

If it was done by renault it'll have the 12 months on it.

I've just had a (badly fitted) recaro seat cover and it can't be re fitted until the 3rd jan but it's tight against the plastic edge, when i pointed it out i was told all parts fitted through warrenty carry a 12 months warrenty.

Picked it up yesterday :smile: Went to see some family in Newbury, so took the A303 and visited Stone Henge. All I can say is, these things are awesome :thumbup:

Today was spent with a sore head after last night and the cruise control set at 70mph coming up the motorway back to South Yorkshire. Managed to get 35.6mpg, which, given most things I have read, is pretty good going. Sitting at 70mph is quite nice actually, the Cabasse stereo sounds great and it's quite a relaxing place to laugh with the girlfriend at all the diesel barges tripping over themselves in the outside lane.

Will get some pictures after I've given it a wash and wax, and the interior a shampoo.

Cheers
Joe