So, I just bought a 197....

Hi everybody, I have been reading the site for a few weeks now and thought it about time to introduce myself.

I once owned one of the new last generation Mini Cooper S which I loved, it was actually my dads but I drove it most of the time.

Unfortunately circumstances changed and I ended up moving out and was driving arround in a Fiat Doblo 1.9JTD for four years until I decided that I'd had enough of being practical and sensible and needed to go back to something with a bit more life in it.

So after working 6 days a week for four years it enabled me to be in a position where I could finally get myself back into something I really liked. But, what to get????

I hunted arround the net and fell to the conclusion that a second hand 197 was just the thing. I spotted the clio I wanted on the french equivilant of Autotrader (Leboncoin.fr because I live in France, cars seem to be more expensive over here!!), I called and made a rendez vous and after and the initial test drive in which the owner more than demonstrated to me the handling capabilities of the car, I waited three long weeks and went to collect the car last Saturday.

Apparently it has the sport chassis, although I don't know how to verify this because after driving arround in a Fiat Doblo for a few years anything that isn't a van with windows is going to feel solid and sporty.

The other half does have a renault scenic 2003 to 2009 model and the ride in the clio is certainly allot firmer than that but that doesnt mean its the cup chassis.

In terms of mods etc I have only added two chrome exhaust ends for esthetic reasons only.

I am going to try and have a go at detailing but I am afraid of making a mess of it and scratching the paintwork. How hard can it be for someone completely new to that, do I risk messing up the car if I get a machine polisher????

Also I would like to add a turbo to the car if the price is right. Ktech racings website that they are developing one, I emailed them with a couple of questions about it and they said it is underway and to keep an eye on there website, so it will be interesting to see how that develops.

I might also change the rims too but cannot decide over black or white.

Oh yeah to add to the excitement of getting the clio last saturday I asked and uncle in law to take me along in his new meganne rs, the 45 minute drive home afterwards felt special, not because we drove crazy or fast or irresponsible or anything, although we did let rip once or twice on one or two tiny country roads when it was safe, but it felt special when we passed though some of the tiny villages on the way back and occasionaly heads would turn by people who appreciated the rarity of seeing two renaultsports together like that.

Anyway, here are a couple of pics of her and one with the meganne rs in front.

My photos are not showing so here is the links

Clio 1

Clio 2

Meganne RS

hqcliorsaubignyj

bcawolfamoungstthepackj

jbcimg0569qj

I'll upload some more from time to time and when I make any changes.

Last edited:
:welcome:

Welcome to the site Alty! Hope you are enjoying the Clio, it is a big step up and over the Doblo I'm sure you will agree. Seems like you worked hard for it so make the most of it!

The new Meg RS are very very nice cars, I've driven it but still prefer the Clio somehow!

welcome to the site, from the pics it doesnt look like cup chassis as the cup pack comes with grey wheels and red calipers, still a nice looking motor.

:welcome: to the site dude!

I saw this stunner in France, it is for sale outside the Renault dealer in Chateauneuf for €16500

French2002.jpg

French2001.jpg

Thanks for the welcome everybody

@ Mike, that is a nice example, probably with good milage too.

Mine a May 2007 model came with 46OOO km on it which translates to approx 29000 miles. I paid 13000 Euros which at current exchange rates converts to 10700 pounds. I bet they are slightly cheaper in England.