197: Slight knock on throttle let off? - VIDEO ADDED

Rentech had a good crawl over mine today. Nothing found.

Bearing in mind (for me) it only happens when very cold, and goes within a few minutes once warmed through, I think I'll accept it as an ongoing Renaultism.

Rentech had a good crawl over mine today. Nothing found.

Bearing in mind (for me) it only happens when very cold, and goes within a few minutes once warmed through, I think I'll accept it as an ongoing Renaultism.

Yeah I've also accepted the sold knock as just part of the car but this dam suspension knock is driving me mad!

Been at the strut tops this morning, they don't 'seem' to be the cause of the knocking.

Drivers side (side that knocks)
20120415_091000.gif

Fitted this washer (still knocks)
20120415_090627.gif

Passenger side (for reference)
20120415_090543.gif

Well I've got pretty much the same problem as you lot. A knock when the cars cold when I change gear from 1st to second, or pull the clutch up sharp to set off in traffic. It almost sounds like it could be something to do with the exhaust right at the rear (I know people have said it's not the front of the exhaust and some have said engine mounts and some not etc.) You can really hear it if you have the windows down and cars at the side of the road or a wall etc. I told Renault and they changed the boot catch!...obviously this did nothing. Does the exhaust have some sort of baffle by-the-way that could be sticking? (apologies if this is a stupid comment).

Back to the engine mounts anyway. I've just sprayed some synthetic grease on the engine mounts as someone had mentioned this reduced the noise a lot. I'll know in the morning but I thought it was worth a try.

Steering also knocks when manoeuvring but this sounds more like the surround behind the steering wheel.

I'm guessing it's just one of those things...

There are loads of knocks mentioned in this thread. If you have the cold one, when you change gears, releasing the clutch etc then it's the top stabilizer bar. Apparently they are made of cheese, I sprayed mine as well, it was all right for 5 days but then it started doing it again. I suppose I'm gonna have to replace it with a brand new one...

There are loads of knocks mentioned in this thread. If you have the cold one, when you change gears, releasing the clutch etc then it's the top stabilizer bar. Apparently they are made of cheese, I sprayed mine as well, it was all right for 5 days but then it started doing it again. I suppose I'm gonna have to replace it with a brand new one...

I still think someone should approach vibra technics and get them to make a top mount/stabilizer.

I know their kits say you can do without the top link but maybe just one of their top links could solve a few owners problems.

Funny you should mention that as I'm starting to think the noise is coming from the rear of the exhaust too, I don't think its a physical knocking, I think its coming from inside the exhaust.

I think I may have found the cure for this.

MOT on Friday revealed lower front ball joint with excessive wear one side, and slight wear on the other.

Had them replaced and since then, this low speed knock when the car's cold has completely gone.

So check your lower ball joints...you can't miss them, they're the ones that are integral to the stub axle assembly which costs £200 + vat each side and need 4.5 hours labour to fit.

Ouch.

I just got a similar sounding knock on ours, pretty sure its the top stabalizer mount as I got the Mrs to release the clutch slowly whilst i was under the bonnet and there was def movement and a click from around that area.

Now, the question is - its only just had the cambelt done the other week (at Renault) and hardly been driven since. Is it something they could have damaged or not put back together 100%, hence the movement & knock?

Before i call them up, be interested to hear any opinions?

cheers

Highly likely as the top roll resistor mount is removed to replace the timing belt.

That and, it was quiet before, noisy now.

Thats exactly what i thought, car booked in for next weds for them to have a quick look.

If it is the mount, would that be put down to wear & tear or you reckon i can argue the fact they've just taken it apart (literally about 30-40 miles ago) to do the cambelt the other week??

Could it be...the rack joints.. Mine have play in them and I get the noisy symptoms. I first thought it was the exhaust popping lol

Yesterday my mechanic repaired engine mount under the hood but i can still hear knocking when i'm changing gear from 1st to 2nd. It's little knock, i think not related to the steering because it happens on simple wheels.

I think knocknig started after hard driving with left-foot, maybe yoy have idea guys?

Sure my knock (only when cold) is the exhaust? seems when engine is cold, gear change is a little more agressive. I only say this as it seems to be coming from below/behind me. Could be where the exhaust exits to the diffuser.

Sorry to open this again. I collected my clio 200 3 weeks ago today. And since iv had it iv experienced a small knock when letting off mainly in 1st and 2nd at low speeds and also alot worse when cold?. It is under warranty with arnold clarke and it had already been back once and they said they changed the 'engine mounts' but as soon as I collected the car the noise was still there. Seems worse when the wheel is turned going round a corner aswell. You guys have any ideas to resolve the problem, Cheers