197: Slight knock on throttle let off? - VIDEO ADDED

my sound is coming from my drivers side too mate. he rekons it a comon problem n he also shown me the play in the wheel. he said it deteriorates so quickly because of the hammer it takes from the road/ potholes. im goin get it checked out :smile: hope this helps

my sound is coming from my drivers side too mate. he rekons it a comon problem n he also shown me the play in the wheel. he said it deteriorates so quickly because of the hammer it takes from the road/ potholes. im goin get it checked out :smile: hope this helps

Hmm might be on to a winner then, will report back Tuesday with results.

hope so mate only had me car 3week n it driving me insane already. can imagine everybody else proper titsed off with it

hope so mate only had me car 3week n it driving me insane already. can imagine everybody else proper titsed off with it

Yeah mines been knocking over bumps for ages now, live near a lot of proper big speed bumps too which doesn't help. I can live with the knocking on throttle let off when cold but this suspension/steering knock is driving me insane.

well lets hope your sorted on tues then mate :smile:. im booked in for thurs too so got me fingers crossed that what it is.

I also have discovered this prob. Mine seems to be on cold starts too and is when I release the clutch on a change up. I left mine low speed in 2nd n tapped the throttle a few times n everytime the revs diped as i releasd the pedal it knocked :s. haven't noticed anything while turning or going over speed humps though. Having a mate look tomorrow (mechanic) so I will see what he comes up with. What a nightmare!

This is exactly word for word what im experiencing. It doesnt bother me much as it only does it for the first, two or three times i change into second when the cars cold and it goes. It does sound like the cat hitting a heatshield aswell. Ill wait until i change my disks to look at mine.

This is exactly word for word what im experiencing. It doesnt bother me much as it only does it for the first, two or three times i change into second when the cars cold and it goes. It does sound like the cat hitting a heatshield aswell. Ill wait until i change my disks to look at mine.

Although it sounds like the exhaust is knocking I'm pretty confident its not exhaust related as I've been under the car and shaken the exhaust all over the place and don't get any knocking anywhere.

I think it's been said already but it's the top stabiliser bar that's knocking - £55 for a new one and takes literally 10 minutes to change...I had the exact same issue.

I think it's been said already but it's the top stabiliser bar that's knocking - £55 for a new one and takes literally 10 minutes to change...I had the exact same issue.

If you read the thread properly you'll see that I've fitted a new one which didn't help at all.

See here, page 5...

Fitted the new torque link today, but still have a knock. Think its not quite as loud now but it still ain't right. Seems like its coming from that area so checked the bolts on the top mount but that seems ok too. Might just get it round my local mechanics and get him to put it in the air and have a poke around.

I remember my 172 Cup was plagued with an uncureable knock on the top mounts, hope the 197 dosent suffer from the same thing.

And if anything, the knocking is twice as loud than it was to start with.

Last edited:
lol yeah just my luck, was looking forward ruling this out as the cause! Definitely being done Thursday morning so should have some news then, be it good or bad.

ye in fairness mate you aint having alot of luck. mine goin in on thurs aswel so maybe it will be a lucky day haha (dont hold ya breath i still havent had the winning lotto ticket)

ye in fairness mate you aint having alot of luck. mine goin in on thurs aswel so maybe it will be a lucky day haha (dont hold ya breath i still havent had the winning lotto ticket)

Well maybe between the two of us we'll find something loose on one of the cars.

i get the knock from behind the pedals when its really cold and i lift off the throttle. when the engines warmed up for a few mins you cant hear anything

while the car was serviced i asked them to investigate and they said theres some weakness in the gear box stabliser bar i think. about £80.

I also got some play in the top mount as in the videos so not sure if thats a different part?

i get the knock from behind the pedals when its really cold and i lift off the throttle. when the engines warmed up for a few mins you cant hear anything

while the car was serviced i asked them to investigate and they said theres some weakness in the gear box stabliser bar i think. about £80.

I also got some play in the top mount as in the videos so not sure if thats a different part?

Yeah there's a Top stabalizer mount (as per video), and also a lower torque link (underneath the car at the back of the engine, looks like a dog bone). I fitted a new top stabilizer and had my torque link off and it appears that neither of these two parts are causing my knocking :worried:

Just got the car back, still knocking!!!!!

The guy went over every nut, bolt and bush under the car and says everything is fine. He did say the last thing I could do is have the ARB bushes out, grease them and put them back. But TBH I can't see it being that.

I'm going to fit a new lower torque link (even though mine looks fine), then if that fails I'm selling the car as I don't like being in a position where I've paid £7500+ for a car that has quite a loud knocking over bumps that no one can diagnose. Its been to 3 places now and I've been under there twice and nothing.

can you get a video/ recording of the knocking, as stupid as it sounds it could a loose component soem where (no mechanical)